UBC 2008 Applicants

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Anybody else on waitlist other than Princess87 and I????

Members don't see this ad.

if applications are due in february, do they still count term 2 marks for the admission process?

They take your marks when they get your final transcript (after second term).

And Kimdan: I guess the no replies is a good thing for us??

Members don't see this ad :)
i have a dilemma

i'm currently goign to do my biology major going into second year

and i want to boost up my gpa by doing stats 200, or a stats related course, a prereq for pharm. the thing is, biol 300 (i need it in my third year of my major) is also a stats course apparently? will there be any conflict in completing my major just incase i don't get into ubc? because i'm thinking of taking stats as my elective too, so its kind of like, if i don't get into pharm, then it'll count as my elective cred for my bio major? sorry if my explanation is all mashed up, i'm typing this in a rush :S

i'm thinking the biology department isn't going to stop you from going into their program just because you took stat200. however, i'm also quite sure if you take stat 200 and go into biology, you wont' be able to use it as an elective. you can only get credit for stat200 OR biol300, not both. however, you should find out if you can use stat 200 as the biol300 requirement?

If we know we're exempt from a course, do we just not take it? or do we have to clarify with Margaret for all of them?

and I emailed the prof of CHEM 233 because.... i don't want to take the 8am class.

the one later in the afternoon (1:30 or so i think) would make life easier.

anyone with me on that?

yeah If I end up having to take it I will definitely try to get into the 1:30 class. I have transfer credit for Chem 203 which can be used instead of 233 apparently? But I don't have transfer credit for Chem 204 or 235, only for "Chem 2nd" so I emailed the instructor to try and get an exemption so that I don't have to take any organic chemistry for the year

can I take any of the 8 non stt courses in the summer? If so which ones? I am a first year student so having 14 classes will be tough.

you could do chem 233/235 + micb202 in the summer, or the two anats. look at the current summer schedule and see if it's offered

you could do chem 233/235 + micb202 in the summer, or the two anats. look at the current summer schedule and see if it's offered

absolutely correct. thats what i did actually =p i am going into my second year (just finished first year science) and i took chem 233, 235 and micb 202 in the summer =) (well, finishing chem 235 right now, n going to take micb 202)

it sure does decrease your first year pharmacy course load!

I emailed the CHEM 233 professor about taking different sections, and here is what he said:

There are always Phar students in any section of Chem 233 which fits their timetable.

You may take any section that you can work into your timetable.

GB

***************************************************************************************************
Gordon S. Bates, Associate Professor

no hello/goodbye?

yeah If I end up having to take it I will definitely try to get into the 1:30 class. I have transfer credit for Chem 203 which can be used instead of 233 apparently? But I don't have transfer credit for Chem 204 or 235, only for "Chem 2nd" so I emailed the instructor to try and get an exemption so that I don't have to take any organic chemistry for the year

dont think so buddy. i once remember a quote that describes chemistry as worthless without laboratory experiment or something.

at any rate, u will need to have a lab course to complement with it. pretty sure

oh, and its actually at 3pm not 1:30, the other section

Members don't see this ad :)
dont think so buddy. i once remember a quote that describes chemistry as worthless without laboratory experiment or something.

at any rate, u will need to have a lab course to complement with it. pretty sure

The Chem course I took at Uvic which transferred as "chem 2nd" was 3 hours of lecture a week, and a 4 hour lab. So that is actually more lab time than Chem 235

does anyone know how we can find out if we're exempt from taking bio 112 or micb 201 if we didn't go to ubc, or do we just have to take one of them if we didn't go to ubc.....lol

i think you have to email margaret about it?
annnnd along those lines, if we TOOK BIOL 112/MICB 201 aaaaaaat UBC that means we just plain don't take it? i know that's what the email says, i just thought i'd ask another question to add to the confusion. and to make sure.
and we don't have to take the specific sections SAID in the email atttachment unless it says it's specifically for pharmacy (like PHYL 301); the ones she said are ones that fit in the schedule, but there are others

does anyone know how we can find out if we're exempt from taking bio 112 or micb 201 if we didn't go to ubc, or do we just have to take one of them if we didn't go to ubc.....lol

Check out transfer credit info on the SSC, if it says Biol 112 and exemption beside it, then you won't have to take it. Same goes if Micr 201 shows up.

And if you have taken one of those courses at UBC then you definitely don't have to take it next year.

I am pretty stoked that I don't have to take any of Stats 203, Micro 201/202 or Chem 233/235 this year, definitely gonna make it alot easier. I think I might take Micro 302 or 306 since I will only have about 8 required courses to take.

can I take any of the 8 non stt courses in the summer? If so which ones? I am a first year student so having 14 classes will be tough.

Are you talking about taking some of the courses this summer to get them out of the way before starting year 1 of pharmacy, or do you want to put some of the first year courses off until next summer?

You are always allowed to get ahead on the non-stt courses as long as they are offered in the summer. But I'm pretty sure you can't leave any of your requirements for a given year until the summer semester of that year; I could be wrong, but I haven't heard of anybody having done this.

First year is so much nicer if you have some of the classes done already. I only had to do 27 credits first year, and it was actually pretty relaxing.

The Chem course I took at Uvic which transferred as "chem 2nd" was 3 hours of lecture a week, and a 4 hour lab. So that is actually more lab time than Chem 235

o whoops, guess i read wrong. i thought u only had lecture section n no lab, my bad =p

o whoops, guess i read wrong. i thought u only had lecture section n no lab, my bad =p

haha that's ok, I didn't actually mention that the course I took had a lab section. I took one organic chem course similar to 203 or 233 (i.e. no lab) and then one similar to 204 (i.e. lab and lecture). I received a reply from Gordon Bates and he said that I won't have to do 233 or 235 so I am pretty happy about that. It looks like I will only have to take the 5 PHARM courses, plus ANAT and PHYL 301 so that will be really nice. I will probably take a couple electives though to get up to a full course load for the year (30 credits, I would hate to have to take all 37 required for first year Pharmacy in one year). Probably Micro 302 or 306, and then maybe something slack like Psyc 101 haha.

Stupid question...but is the number of credits proportional to a course's work load or difficulty? ie what's up with the 1 and 2 credit PHAR courses? Just curious as I try and sort out my schedule/course load.

the credits are reflections of hour many class/lab hours there is... so the 1/2 credit courses must be only a few weeks or something along those lines

i hope

yeah, like Pharm 241 is 1 hour a week and therefore only 1 credit

yeah, like Pharm 241 is 1 hour a week and therefore only 1 credit

Thanks, that makes sense. I'm used to 3 or 4 credit courses. Hopefully only one hour a week means not a lot of work!!

UBCmicrobi!
From your name I assume you have a degree in microbio from UBC, How much work is there for MICROB 201? Is it better to take BIOL 112?

UBCmicrobi!
From your name I assume you have a degree in microbio from UBC, How much work is there for MICROB 201? Is it better to take BIOL 112?

You assume correctly, but I have no idea since I took second year Microbi at Langara. Sorry!

Hey first year people..

You'll have a blast in pharmacy, see you at Gala and skits night.. :) And of course, the BBQ!

You assume correctly, but I have no idea since I took second year Microbi at Langara. Sorry!

Hi there!

I was just reading through your posts and was wondering if you knew what BIO112 or MICB201 was referring to in terms of Langara language. If I did both first year bios at Langara do you think that it will be equivalent to that??

Thanks a bunch!
:D:):cool:

Hi there!

I was just reading through your posts and was wondering if you knew what BIO112 or MICB201 was referring to in terms of Langara language. If I did both first year bios at Langara do you think that it will be equivalent to that??

Thanks a bunch!
:D:):cool:

I don't think any of the 100 level Biology courses at Langara (ie 1115 and 1215) alone or combined transfer as UBC MICB 201.

As far as I can tell, 1st year biology at Langara (1115 & 1215) transfers to 7 credits at UBC that exempt you from BIOL 111, 121, 141

This should all be on SSC under "transfer credit".
Langara does not seem to have an equivalent of BIOL 112.

But it looks like you'll have to take microbiology @ UBC, cause first year bio at Langara certainly should not give you credit for Microbiology.

Hey so I noticed Phyl 302 which is a lab was cancelled. Does that mean we don't have to take it?

Hey so I noticed Phyl 302 which is a lab was cancelled. Does that mean we don't have to take it?

Word on the street is that we do NOT have to take PHYL 302; it has been cancelled this year and may not be offered in the future. So, it is no longer a program requirement for pharmacy, at least for our grad class. Glad they finally cancelled the section on SSC cause it was getting confusing! One less course to take makes me happy!

Word on the street is that we do NOT have to take PHYL 302; it has been cancelled this year and may not be offered in the future. So, it is no longer a program requirement for pharmacy, at least for our grad class. Glad they finally cancelled the section on SSC cause it was getting confusing! One less course to take makes me happy!

Yeah I had noticed that some students had even signed up for the course before it was canceled so I was really starting to get confused. I was about to send a joint email to both the lab instructor and Margaret but then this morning I saw it had been canceled and was relieved.

No more PHYL 302.. thats nice for you guys! Slash.. hopefully me soon... if we ever hear back about this waitlist!

omg you lucky @$$'s .. that course was just one more thing to worry about for me last year.. now that you guys don't have it first year will be a walk in the park.. damn .. it was fun though and actually free gpa booster if you paid enough attention during the lab..

I was hoping someone would be kind enough to help me with this! I need to get vaccinated for HEP. B and Chik. pox . Does anyone know where I can get a good price for it? Apparently it will cost me 280 $ at a regular walk in clinic. Thanks in advance.

Oh and I live by metro twon right now

Yea I told Margaret about that monday session, and she said it shouldn't be there so she went to cancel it.

I know everyone who made it in's probably head over heels registering their courses and celebrating right now (I know I'd be if I were one of you lucky people!), but I was wondering if anyone could tell me if it's really bad for me to have no work experience and only volunteer experience (albeit quite a lot of volunteer work) on my application? Thanks!

that's probably better. they want you to be a selfless angel more or less

I just finished registering. I decided to take all of the courses, totalling 37 credits.

Thanks!! I was just confused cause no transfer credit was given to me yet... Margaret said by the end of the week... so I was just wondering for registration. Guess I'll take that BIO112 then !!:)

I don't think any of the 100 level Biology courses at Langara (ie 1115 and 1215) alone or combined transfer as UBC MICB 201.

As far as I can tell, 1st year biology at Langara (1115 & 1215) transfers to 7 credits at UBC that exempt you from BIOL 111, 121, 141

This should all be on SSC under "transfer credit".
Langara does not seem to have an equivalent of BIOL 112.

But it looks like you'll have to take microbiology @ UBC, cause first year bio at Langara certainly should not give you credit for Microbiology.

Hello everyone!

I will be moving in to res (marine dr. 4 bedrooms shared) in Sep, and I was thinking it would be really cool and beneficial to have a roommate or roommates who are in the same major and the same year as I am(that is 1st year)
Is there anyone moving into 4 bedroom shared Marine who also thinks it would be beneficial?
please let me know, so we can forward our request to personnel there.

Hello everyone!

I will be moving in to res (marine dr. 4 bedrooms shared) in Sep, and I was thinking it would be really cool and beneficial to have a roommate or roommates who are in the same major and the same year as I am(that is 1st year)
Is there anyone moving into 4 bedroom shared Marine who also thinks it would be beneficial?
please let me know, so we can forward our request to personnel there.

That would definitely be beneficial. I am also moving into marine drive 4 bedroom place. I can't really tell from your screen name whether you are male or female though. I think the 4 bedroom places have to be same gender, so if you are male then i'd be down for submitting my name with yours if they are still accepting requests at this time.

Great!! I am a male actually. When I was filling out the application they asked me if I mind mixed gender, so I'm not sure if they separate genders as we all have our own private bathrooms. But any how we are both males. Email me with your number, you can look up my email from the yahoo info beside my screen name. Hopefully they still accept requests.

Thanks!! I was just confused cause no transfer credit was given to me yet... Margaret said by the end of the week... so I was just wondering for registration. Guess I'll take that BIO112 then !!:)

Ahh I see, I guess you'll figure it out once you get the transfer credits. I can see how that would make it hard to plan your courses! :)

Anyone else going to be living at Westpoint? It's still under construction but it's a 5 min walk from the buildings on East Mall.

Anyone else going to be living at Westpoint? It's still under construction but it's a 5 min walk from the buildings on East Mall.

I am! In a one bedroom suite, how about you??? Hopefully its ready for Sept.1 tho ! Actually I am going to visit it this Sunday... I'll have to put on a hard hat because its still a construction zone.. but atleast i'll get an idea of how small it really is, and what kind of furniture I can fit :)

Last edited:
I'm also in a one bedroom on the ground floor. Unit 121. It's nice, but VERY small so brace yourself.

Haha I am aware that its going to be tiiiiiiiiiny! Mine is a weird shaped one too so it shall be interesting, I am suite 302. Its kind of an L shape suite, and it has 2 french balconies.. yet its only 432 square feet i think.