UBC 2008 Applicants

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Matt123, I found some info on Biol 300. If you have taken Biol 300, you do not have to take STAT 203. That info is in the "2008 Y1 Registration Info" attachment.

Members don't see this ad.

Ah thanks so much. Every little bit helps right? No organic and stats sounds just fine to me.

i know last year the admission committee was undecided whether students who have not replied should have their spot taken away. ended up some students waited until mid-end july to find out if they got in from waitlist. hopefully they've changed that this year to relieve the unneeded stress for everyone!

Members don't see this ad :)
OK so here's an interesting question: for those who have a degree or have taken many courses including electives, will pharmacy count those previously taken electives towards electives required in pharmacy, or do you have to take all new electives? Whew... Obviously we still need the 3 credit pharmacy elective.

keep in mind there are certain "pharmacy-approved electives" you have to take other than the PHARxxx elective. if those previous courses are equivalent to the PAEs, then they will probably count.

so as for science major, we cannot take stat203 but instead stat200?

I have my BSc already, and it I've already taken many of the "Pharmacy-approved" electives [MICB 302, 306, 403, FNH 350, 355, BIOL 334, 335 and PSYC 304 (6 credits)]. I hope I'm correct in assuming that I can use those towards my 15 credits of "pharm approved" and "other" electives. So all that is left is 3 credits of PHAR electives for the total of 18 credits of electives. Please tell me this is the case, cause it would make my life sooo much easier!

Do we need to take PHYL 302 for first year pharmacy?? It's not in the email but it's in the calendar...

i am pretty sure thats how it works, how else will they get those waitlist people in? if you don't reply their email by end of tmr, they assume you don't want in.

ubc pharmacy repeatedly emphasized the importance of your email for correspondence. if someone fails to reply, i am pretty sure its their problem.

Ya you would think.. but I think that last year they let it slide for a bunch of people. They sent them out an e-mail kinda like " HEY! You never replied if you want to get in you have 2 more days" . Personally, I think if you really want it you'd be checking your e-mail every day and that would never happen. I want this so bad... sigh

Ya you would think.. but I think that last year they let it slide for a bunch of people. They sent them out an e-mail kinda like " HEY! You never replied if you want to get in you have 2 more days" . Personally, I think if you really want it you'd be checking your e-mail every day and that would never happen. I want this so bad... sigh

well i guess the department wants to give a lucky break for those people. but i think we should assume students would have the decency to check their email and be responsible for their own programs, we ARE in university and this is a competitive program.

in other words, its nice to wait for those ppl to reply, but those on waiting list have to suffer the agony. even though its cruel, i think those that cant care enough to reply a simple email should be dropped from the program. pharmacists need to be responsible for their actions, replying an email to be admitted is one of them.

unless of course, they have a legitimate excuse.

Yay! A 2008 thread! I have so many questions I want to ask you guys because I will be applying next year. I would be super thankful if you can find it in your kind hearts to answer any of them: :)

Are there people that got in without any experience working at a pharmacy?? I volunteered at a pharmacy for a few months quite some times ago, and don't have any recent experiences. Will this be a big problem? I do, however, have other extracurriculars: I'm volunteering at a retirement home, the public library, a language institute, and I plan on volunteering at a lab soon. I don't know who to get to write the references tho. Should it be: 1)someone I know longer, or 2)someone in the health services profession?

I also want to apply for entry into the dietetics program in the same year, as a backup. However, I've heard the letter of offers for dietetics come out in June, and seeing as I won't know if I got into pharmacy or not until late June, I won't know if I would want to accept or decline an offer in dietetics... Does anyone have any bright solutions for this problem? (I was thinking of accepting the offer from dietetics if I get in, and then think of a way to tell the dieteics admission officer that I want to forfeit the placement if I find out that I got accepted into pharmacy in the same year, but I don't know if this is such a great idea 'cause I don't know if I'd still be eligible to be evaluated for entry into pharmacy if I already accepted another professional program, and I'd be delaying the entry of some other student that might really badly want to get into dietetics) But if I decline an offer from dietetics right off the bat when I get an interview offer for pharmacy, I'm afraid the dietetics administrator won't let me in again if I reapply.

I heard that UBC doesn't look at the essay marks for the PCAT. Will this likely hold true for next year?

Irrelevant to pharmacy, but has anyone here taken IHHS 200? Is it quite easy to do well? Does the course have a heavy work load? And has anyone taken ANTH 227 with Hendrich before?

Yay! A 2008 thread! I have so many questions I want to ask you guys because I will be applying next year. I would be super thankful if you can find it in your kind hearts to answer any of them: :)

Are there people that got in without any experience working at a pharmacy?? I volunteered at a pharmacy for a few months quite some times ago, and don't have any recent experiences. Will this be a big problem? I do, however, have other extracurriculars: I'm volunteering at a retirement home, the public library, a language institute, and I plan on volunteering at a lab soon. I don't know who to get to write the references tho. Should it be: 1)someone I know longer, or 2)someone in the health services profession?

I also want to apply for entry into the dietetics program in the same year, as a backup. However, I've heard the letter of offers for dietetics come out in June, and seeing as I won't know if I got into pharmacy or not until late June, I won't know if I would want to accept or decline an offer in dietetics... Does anyone have any bright solutions for this problem? (I was thinking of accepting the offer from dietetics if I get in, and then think of a way to tell the dieteics admission officer that I want to forfeit the placement if I find out that I got accepted into pharmacy in the same year, but I don't know if this is such a great idea 'cause I don't know if I'd still be eligible to be evaluated for entry into pharmacy if I already accepted another professional program, and I'd be delaying the entry of some other student that might really badly want to get into dietetics) But if I decline an offer from dietetics right off the bat when I get an interview offer for pharmacy, I'm afraid the dietetics administrator won't let me in again if I reapply.

I heard that UBC doesn't look at the essay marks for the PCAT. Will this likely hold true for next year?

Irrelevant to pharmacy, but has anyone here taken IHHS 200? Is it quite easy to do well? Does the course have a heavy work load? And has anyone taken ANTH 227 with Hendrich before?

i will help first!

first, i got into pharmacy this year without any volunteering experience at a pharmacy. i do have other volunteering experiences (church, soup kitchen)
but no pharmacy experience, so that wont be a program for u.

as for references, i got my pastor n a old high school teacher to write for me. i think anyone is fine, as long as they are credible and have long u for a sufficient enough of time to judge your abilities. of course, i might think getting it written by a health professional would be beneficial, but it is not crucial as you can tell from my case.

as for the dietetic program, there is no one answer. of course it would be great if u could choose between the 2 programs, but that luxury as u have described comes at the cost of other students. i wont say anything, but if u do get accepted by dietetics before pharmacy results come out, then talk to the director of BOTH program to see what arrangements u can make.

as for pcat, they look at composite mark and your overall rank (like what points u get, 400 is the average i think), n i think the essay's are included in that mark also.

hope that helps! people feel free to correct me if i am wrong :D

Members don't see this ad :)
Are there people that got in without any experience working at a pharmacy??

i didn't have any pharm volunteer exp nor any volunteering since HS (i am going year 3 this year).

Will this be a big problem? I do, however, have other extracurriculars: I'm volunteering at a retirement home, the public library, a language institute, and I plan on volunteering at a lab soon.
nope. i volunteered at rpl and miscellaneous events.
I don't know who to get to write the references tho.
Should it be: 1)someone I know longer, or 2)someone in the health services profession?

someone who knows you well, and you know they have positive stuff to say about you

they don't care about the essay marks or scaled score, only the composite.

I got in with virtually no volunteer experience and a 70% GPA. If I can do it, so can you.

Wow thanks for all the encouragement and input (keep them cumin' :) ) You guys are the best! By the way, is it better to submit the reference letters earlier or later in the application period? When did you all mail them in?

Wow thanks for all the encouragement and input (keep them cumin' :) ) You guys are the best! By the way, is it better to submit the reference letters earlier or later in the application period? When did you all mail them in?

very last minute =D i finished my application the day before it was dued (it wa s dued feb 28th,i finished the night of feb 27th or the morning of feb 28th. i was 12am)

u just need to get those in before the deadline ! of course its always good to do things early =)

I'm going nuts and it's only been a few days...

Hey what exactly is the point of a doctorate in pharmacy? You don't need it to practice...right?

nope. I think its more for advanced patient care and management level type jobs. Stardard community or retail pharmacy you don't need it.

i'm pretty sure i know the answer to this, but no one else can choose their pharmacy eligibility yet right? or maybe they lied when they said i got in. SURPRISE! you shouldn't have, my birthday is in november

i'm pretty sure i know the answer to this, but no one else can choose their pharmacy eligibility yet right? or maybe they lied when they said i got in. SURPRISE! you shouldn't have, my birthday is in november

ditto for me too

we can do it now!

that just makes it more absolute. even though we've accepted through email.

on the email it says that registration is between july 7th and 15th. So by monday hopefully everyone can see their pharmacy eligibility.

we can do it now!

that just makes it more absolute. even though we've accepted through email.

i still cant see it. i am thinking admission office is going to need some time to get everyone assigned.

ok i spoke too soon. you can "accept" the offer on the SSC where it says "Accept/Deny blabla" next to Application status. but can't switch programs yet (well that only applies to people who were current UBC students, but others still can't choose the program...)

annnd when i did that, it took me to MyFinancial Account and said i DIDN'T pay the 100$ registration deposit, which i did in april and had a credit, and it also has the nerve to say it's been overdue since march. aaaaaaaaaah

I can't accept offer of admission for Pharmacy yet, but I assume by the end of tomorrow everyone will be able to since registration starts Monday.

depends how confident you are in those courses =] i'm a 2nd year student and i took as many of the prereqs as i could since most of them were necessary for my major (pre-microbi) anyway. i took stat200, chem233/235, biol201 (half of bioc300), and micb202. what kind of happened was i still took all the other required courses for micb, but i focused my studying on the pharm pre-reqs. ended up getting 68 or something in biol200 but i got mid 80s in chem233 and high 80 in stat200.

also, are you sure you don't HAVE to take the bio pre-reqs to qualify as being a 2nd year bio student? and if you are unfortunate and don't get into pharm next year, it would be better to have a backup going for you.

i see, i've decided to take the pre reqs, sicne most of them are required by pharmacy as well..
anyway, if applications are due in feb., will they include term 2 marks in the GPA calculation? also can anyone recommend any good arts electives? i was thinking of taking history, but don't know how heavy the courseload in history courses at ubc are like..

I can't accept offer of admission for Pharmacy yet, but I assume by the end of tomorrow everyone will be able to since registration starts Monday.
I accepted my offer of admission today :confused:

I accepted my offer of admission today :confused:

I replied by email to say that I accept the offer of admission and recieved confirmation, I just mean it hasn't gone through on the ssc website.

I just accpeted my offer on SSC, but still don't have a registration date and can't select an eligibility yet. Guess it'll all be sorted out by Monday though, but SSC can be confusing at times!!

hey you can change your eligibility by clicking my program. but when i do so, my status on the very top hasn't changed yet. Does everyone have the same problem?

yah, you just gotta wait it out. they're probably doing it in alphabetical order... mine will probably be at the very end...

i changed to BSCP! it works, my status now says i am BSCP year 1 =]

edit: it everytime i click into my time table, ti says i dont have a program =o= i guess my selection is not registering yet =/

Last edited:
yeah, it shows up on "MyProgram" now, but it won't let me switch because the registration isn't open yet ... and isn't registration on the 7th? It's telling me it's on the 9th.

siiiiiiiiigh

yeah, it shows up on "MyProgram" now, but it won't let me switch because the registration isn't open yet ... and isn't registration on the 7th? It's telling me it's on the 9th.

siiiiiiiiigh

opens july 7th, but we are separated by gpa for registration dates =]

well that's a slap in the face.
ok that makes sense, i called enrolment services and they said that we switch/choose programs AND choose courses all on the registration date

3pm and still nothing..

Hopefully next week...

I'm WAITLISTED!!!

Yay!

So that means that I should take this time to let all of you that got accepted know that maybe there are other options out there for you other than UBC Pharm...

Just kidding :) Hopefully I will join you all.

Still on the waitlist? I was also accepted at MUN, but turned it down, so that doesn't help you much. Keep your fingers crossed! Has anyone getten off the wait list yet?

UBC microbi, what are you admission statistics like? I applied to UBC for the 3rd year in a row and got rejected each time. This is my first time getting an interview. I also applied to MUN after first year and after 2nd year. What was your GPA like for MUN Pharmacy?

holy crap, thats on the other side of canada.

My mom is actually annoyed that I turned down MUN. I was actually really impressed with the facilities at MUN and the small class sizes are nice, but ya, it's in St. John's Newfoundland, very far away!

UBC microbi, what are you admission statistics like? I applied to UBC for the 3rd year in a row and got rejected each time. This is my first time getting an interview. I also applied to MUN after first year and after 2nd year. What was your GPA like for MUN Pharmacy?

At MUN admission is based on both your pre-req GPA and overall GPA. Since I have completed a degree, my overall GPA definitely boosted my application, rather than just relying on my pre-req GPA. I really can't tell you what my GPA is, since I did my pre-reqs at Langara, which uses a different scale. But the jist of it is that other than Eng, Calc and Phys, nothing less than an A-. Having other courses (ie Organic, Microbi etc) to compensate for Physics/Calc really helps.

You're on the right track if you got an interview this year.

I got an intervie.w this year with a 72% PCAT but it was a weaker year in terms of admissions to UBC pharm. Do you think this would be good enough to get an interview next year or do you think i should rewrite it?

I got an intervie.w this year with a 72% PCAT but it was a weaker year in terms of admissions to UBC pharm. Do you think this would be good enough to get an interview next year or do you think i should rewrite it?

While your PCAT was "good enough" to get an interview this year, I would still take it again just to be safe. As you said, this year's applicant pool may have had a lower av. PCAT/GPA, so there is no guarantee you'll get an interview next year. But as I said, you're on the right track, and if you get an interview next year you'll be better prepared.

My eligibility isn't up under "my program" yet, but I can't even register for a Bsc until July 10th anyway so I assume that will probably be similar for the Pharm program.

my registration date for pharmacy is the 9th :)

my registration date for pharmacy is the 9th :)

Hi Everyone,

:pSpeaking of registering for courses.... is it mandatory for students take all 37 first year credits in the winter and spring semester?
(ugh, isn't a full course load like 30 credits though?)

Does anyone know if we can spread out these courses over the summer semester?

Is there a summer semester :p ?? I'm not too familiar with UBCs registration process.. will there be any holidays- x-mas/ summer, because some of the courses mention that they last from sept to april.

Thanks in advance :D

yeah im kinda pissed that we have to take soo many courses in our first year... this means that there won't be as much partying as i wished... hahah. At least theres someone else that will be taking all of the first year required courses!!! It seems like the majority of people already have credit for at least one course.

courses that are sept to april are 2 semester courses. There will still be winter break in between.