UBC Pharmacy 2017 Applicants

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Hopefully when registration begins we can see how many seats are being taken in the STT. That would give us at least an indication of how many seats are left. I'm some that have already been accepted at UBC and are on the waitlist for the Ontario schools.

Members don't see this ad.

Alright! Full pharm course load in september :D......;).......:cool:.....:confused:.....:(......:scared:

To all the people on the wait list still waiting for an acceptance, just hang in there. I'm pretty sure the feeling is worse than when we were waiting for an email after the interview since it's like you're almost there but not quite. I'm hoping you guys get an answer as soon as possible and best of luck!

P.S. I received a rejection email, and I'm still not losing hope that they might give call-backs to rejects. Am I being delusional T_T?

Members don't see this ad :)
I know how it feels to get rejected. I've been there too...more than twice...3x....and more...
Keep your hopes up! Last year, I heard that there was a couple of students who were offer admissions in august? after they've received their rejection letter.Best of luck!

Happy to know that i am not the only one who got rejected but still hopeful....

this is ruining my whole summer. are you guys keeping busy and distracted?

anybody know if anyone has gotten off the waitlist the past couple of days?

making a pond in my backyard with my tears

Terrific sense of humour QQallday! :D
Hang in there though, waitlisters. Look at the bright side; if it's a no this year,u'll smash the interview with experience next year.
Positivity!

making a pond in my backyard with my tears

HAHA, I actually laughed/smiled when I read this.

Hang in there, everyoneeee!
:thumbup:
I still secretly (although it's not a secret now...) creep this thread every day just to see if any of you patient (and deserving!) waitlisters have gotten in!!

It's Monday, back to the waiting game...

i'm wondering if acceptance letters to waitlisters will be sent out in a batch or one by one....it seems as tho it was sent in a batch for the 2016 class judging by last year's forum..

Members don't see this ad :)
someone asked and they said it would be sent progressively. but yeah no idea whats going on with waitlist so far, are all the seats basically filled or is there a chance of people leaving still?

someone asked and they said it would be sent progressively. but yeah no idea whats going on with waitlist so far, are all the seats basically filled or is there a chance of people leaving still?

I called in and I was told that there is still a chance, since they give people a few days to accept/decline offers. Also, I was told that the waitlist people would get rejection letters once seats becomes completely full.

Even though it becomes completely full, my friend told me that should the accepted drop before september, the next one on the waiting list would be awarded the spot

Is there any likelihood that the accepted would drop before September?

Hi
I am moving to Vancouver from out of province for September. For those of you living nearby UBC campus, where could I look into housing arrangements?

I've noticed on the UBC courses website that both section C and D are filled but there is still A, B, E and F remaining. Just a few questions for the people that were accepted:

Are there any more registration dates for the STT? And also, is it possible to view the number of seats remaining on the site?

Funny thing about seeing the number of seats remaining in the sections are that they'll only show once the section is full.

I've noticed on the UBC courses website that both section C and D are filled but there is still A, B, E and F remaining. Just a few questions for the people that were accepted:

Are there any more registration dates for the STT? And also, is it possible to view the number of seats remaining on the site?

based on the numbers for CAPS 301 01P, there're 83 seats left

I know that there's more people registering tomorrow.

But sushiman is right, there is no way to tell how many people are registered in each STT until they're actually filled up. As of writing this, B, C and D are filled (STT-D represent!)

C and D have 38 people registered, while B has 37... doing some quick math, 38x6=228, and there's 6 sections, so if you subtract 1 person from 4 of the STT's, you'll get 224... so it's likely possible 4 sections have 37 seats while 2 have 38 (C & D, already filled)

I'd check the course registration site tomorrow evening and see if all the STT's have been filled. It's possible I'm wrong, but I haven't heard of anyone else registering later than July 10th, which is tomorrow.

Also, does anyone find it kind of lame there's only 20 spots for the already filled PHAR 269? (+15 waitlist spots that are already filled too). Without the FNH electives, 1st year Pharms wanting to take approved electives don't have many choices left... maybe they'll add more seats?

ty for the info, anybody know if anyone got off waitlist recently or things pretty much on lock already

Last edited:
ty for the info, anybody know if anyone got off waitlist recently or things pretty much on lock already

I've heard of no waitlist movement, but then again I don't know anybody else that's waitlisted. I'd still recommend checking the STT's later tomorrow. If they're all filled up by the end of tomorrow... :(

based on the numbers for CAPS 301 01P, there're 83 seats left

The CAPS course might not be the best indicator of how many seats are remaining in the program... there may be people that may have already completed those already in their previous degree or years.

pple who called, do they tell u ur waitlist ranking now? or still no?

Also, does anyone find it kind of lame there's only 20 spots for the already filled PHAR 269? (+15 waitlist spots that are already filled too). Without the FNH electives, 1st year Pharms wanting to take approved electives don't have many choices left... maybe they'll add more seats?
I'm disappointed in the 1st year elective offerings :(

Especially since all the interesting courses like PATH, FNH etc. are either full or unavailable.

Does anybody know what PHAR 269 actually is? The electives list says "Directed Studies in Professional Practice" but the registration site says "Community Service Learning I". Either way, I can't seem to find any real course description anywhere.

I'm disappointed in the 1st year elective offerings :(

Especially since all the interesting courses like PATH, FNH etc. are either full or unavailable.

Does anybody know what PHAR 269 actually is? The electives list says "Directed Studies in Professional Practice" but the registration site says "Community Service Learning I". Either way, I can't seem to find any real course description anywhere.

PHAR269 is more of a seminar-based course with heavy participation required from all individuals registered in the course. There is a focus on the healthcare system as a whole but also some focus to pharmacy practice (pharmacist roles, technician roles and so forth) with some guest speakers here and there. There are some activities that require work outside the classroom, namely, some community service that is associated with the healthcare field as well as a pharmacy visitation (in addition to the one you will be required to do for PHAR202). At the same time, the usual essays, presentations and so forth are to be expected in these types of courses (minimum 1 per term). It is termed "directed studies" as the guidelines/requirements for the course are somewhat flexible, with the learning you derive from the course being reflected in the amount of effort you input into the course. No exams.

No more seats are likely to be opened based on the seminar-like nature of the course. Too many students causes problems with all-round participation and with this portion being weighed heavily on the overall course mark, it's in the best interests of everyone that the class size be kept where it is.

Last edited:
pple who called, do they tell u ur waitlist ranking now? or still no?

Such rankings are not provided by the office at any time, unfortunately.

Last edited:
The CAPS course might not be the best indicator of how many seats are remaining in the program... there may be people that may have already completed those already in their previous degree or years.

Real CAPS, PHAR299 (CAPS I), is a required course for all first year pharmacy students. No substitutions with past courses are allowed and thus, PHAR299 directly reflects the number of students registered in the program (assuming no fails from the class of 2016). The same goes with PHAR202.

If you would like an indicator of the number of students enrolled in the program thus far, I would suggest PAIR UBC {data access}.

For your convenience, current enrollment is as follows (PHAR202) as of 7:42PM PST:
L01 33/37
L02 37/37
L03 38/38
L04 38/38
L05 23/37
L06 23/37

Total enrollment: 192/224

Thank you so much, would it be possible if you could update us waitlist folk tomorrow?

If aanickaa is unable to check, I'll update you guys @ noon.

Thank you so much, would it be possible if you could update us waitlist folk tomorrow?

I'll be working most of the day so don't expect anything from me (all alternity!).

It's an interesting site to click around for anyone with a little bit of spare time, just Google it up.

quick question about stat203...
its a required first year pharmacy course but all tutorial sections are full.. there are only two that arent.. one is STT for dental students and therefore blocked and the other conflicts with all our own STT.. dont know what to do.. this is dumb..

And also i was under the impression that first year pharmacy students arent required to take any electives.. so what are you all talking about?

thankyou :)

And also i was under the impression that first year pharmacy students arent required to take any electives.. so what are you all talking about?
I already took all the non-pharm specific 1st year courses last year to boost my admission average. The STT is only 7 credits per term, and I need 11 per term to live in residence and get student loans/grants.

You can take your electives any time over the 4 years.

quick question about stat203...
its a required first year pharmacy course but all tutorial sections are full.. there are only two that arent.. one is STT for dental students and therefore blocked and the other conflicts with all our own STT.. dont know what to do.. this is dumb..

I also had this problem when I was registering yesterday. I posted in the Facebook group and a couple people replied to me. They told me that they asked Jennifer the same thing and she said we can register in the equivalent (such as STAT 200) or contact the Statistics department.

The averages for STAT 200 is higher than 203 and the time fits better with our schedules (it's at 9 AM instead of STAT 203 at 1 PM), so I think I'm just going to stay in STAT 200.

EDIT: I contacted the Statistics department last night and received a reply this morning. She said that she would open up some seats in the Friday 12-1 PM tutorial (T1F) and would even open up another section if need be in the end.

Last edited:
I took STAT 200 last year. It's easy. You're allowed a cheat sheet on exams. After the midterm the prof said the average was 80-something I think and she might have to scale final marks down since they're not allowed to have class average over 75% in science courses (or something like that).

For waitlisters, here are the enrollment numbers as of 10:20 am PST:

STT A: 37/37

STT B: 37/37

STT C: 38/38

STT D: 38/38

STT E: 29/37

STT F: 33/37

Total: 212/224

Looking at the pair reports...

# of distinct students in the specified session, year level, degree, and specialization: 216

So it's slowing working its way up.

Hi
Does anyone have trouble logging into CWL at the moment?

YYYYYYYYYYYYEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS!

Got the call!

I asked if there was going to be anymore being accepted and if I am the last candidate. AND NO I'M NOT!

Got the call!

I asked if there was going to be anymore being accepted and if I am the last candidate. AND NO I'M NOT!

Congrats arora! I am still hoping for a call. Did you just get it?

congrats!! :) also glad youre not the last candidate.... :D

Basically 2 minutes after I hung up I posted that message.

Good luck to everyone else on the waitlist :)

Oh, and I can log into SSC again.

Got the call!

Congrats!!
:D

Congratulations, arora! :cool: Good to see that all that waiting paid off!

According to PAIR, enrollment is at 217/224... well, make it 218 now with our new acceptee. Wishing the best for the remaining waitlisters.