UBC PHARMACY CLASS OF 2019

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

chenryyy

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys, so I'm an out of province applicant and I really want to get into UBC pharmacy. I'm a third year sports nutrition student at mcgill right now. I know that next year they have changed the degree to a PharmD. So what should I expect? Will it be tougher to get in? more people applying or less? I honestly don't know what my chances are to get in. I know they look at the CGPA of your last 30 credits...my overall average is like an GPA 81 for that sofar..we'll see how I do this semester. My pre-req scores are nothing special, because I ****ed up junior college (cegep here in quebec) like 3 years ago with like 60s and 70s..the occasional 80. I also did some pre reqs like microbio/genetics..biochem here at mcgill and got decent marks .. A-, B+..ect. But overall, my pre req gpa isn't great, probably in the low 70s or mid 70s at best.

thanks

Members don't see this ad.

I'm glad to see a thread for the class of 2019 (was just thinking of starting one). I'm a Senior at a Uni in the United States, and I have an above 3.5/4.0 gpa. I don't really know how it averages out to percentage, so I cant really answer your question. I think your average is okay (might not be too competitive though). Do your have lots of extracurricular?Iv heard lots of ECs and the profile essay matter a lot, so I guess we should focus a lot on those. I'm also applying for UBC pharmacy class of 2019. Good luck to us

hey yeah i do. i volunteer at the geriatrics department at a hospital nearby. i also have many part time jobs do describe..ect. anyways i just got my last semester marks back and for my last 30 credits my gpa is a 3.52/4. I hope thats okay-ish...im just worried about the first year science pre-req marks that i did a long time ago in CEGEP...

Members don't see this ad :)
That sounds good. I'm working on getting some pharmacy related work experience. Have you turned in your application yet? I'm still working on the profile essay.

Im still working on the application haha. Its kinda hard to know what to write for me...cause I have no pharmacy related experience gah

I'm still working on mine too. I wonder if there is another thread somewhere since it's just two of us here.

lol yeah same here, but i haven't found any other ubc threads...hmm.

They will be looking at average of all First Year Required Courses ie. Bio, Chem, Math and English (two semesters of each).

The PharmD program requires quite a few more pre-requisite courses such as Organic Chem, Stats and Microbio.

You should also double check if you are eligible for admissions if you are attending a US university, as they don't accept international students.

Last edited:
I have all the required courses. Do you think the first year pre req gpa will count for more or will the gpa of the most recent 30 credits play a bigger role? The new pre-reqs such as genetics and microbio have been taken in my most recent 30 credits too

Personally I think they will look at all our prerequisites (the ones on the school's website) along with our general transcript especially the most recent classes. They might want to know how we've been doing lately even if it doesn't count towards their decision.

When is the last day to send our unofficial transcript??

Anyone have any idea how many people are applying this cycle?

Members don't see this ad :)
Not at all... From what I saw on the school's website, over 600 people apply each year

Hi there, you should probably contact the faculty of pharmacy at ubc and ask about your admission. I know I was also looking at a few schools in the united states and they all said no international students but when I contacted them they said they were okay with Canadian students but not international as in not from north America.

Lol i don't think I have a realistic chance of getting in tbh...Like i have a good GPA for my recent 30 credits but my first year science marks are just WAY too low -__- plus I'm out of province

Who knows maybe you'll get in. From what I know they don't reserve a specific amount of seats for oop if you're competitive enough or have a lot of volunteering you could get in. Good luck though.

Hi everyone applying to the 2015 pharmacy program at UBC!

Is anyone down to start practicing for MMI's? I know we wouldn't know whether we got an invitation to interview yet, but it's always better to start early!

Hi everyone applying to the 2015 pharmacy program at UBC!

Is anyone down to start practicing for MMI's? I know we wouldn't know whether we got an invitation to interview yet, but it's always better to start early!

I'm definitely down to practice! hopefully there's more people who are as well :)

Sorry Guys a bit to early to practice for my taste and my semesters a bit busier than usual but hopefully there will be a few more people looking to practice with you guys.

Yep just got my interview invitation yesterday.

Where do you see that they have changed the degree program to PharmD? As per what I can see is that you still need to have a BSc in Pharmacy in order to apply for the Graduate PharmD program. I'm hoping if that is still the case that would change soon as I don't wanna have to do four years of BSc in Pharmacy and then have to do another 2 years to upgrade to PharmD.

Yep just got my interview invitation yesterday.

Where do you see that they have changed the degree program to PharmD? As per what I can see is that you still need to have a BSc in Pharmacy in order to apply for the Graduate PharmD program. I'm hoping if that is still the case that would change soon as I don't wanna have to do four years of BSc in Pharmacy and then have to do another 2 years to upgrade to PharmD.
From what I have gathered, you still have to do another 2 years to upgrade to PharmD at UBC. The 4 year program, that they have recently revised, is only a "Entry to PharmD" and not the actual PharmD itself. I believe you can confirm this by going to Ubc's pharmacy website :)

Is there anyone who has not yet recieved an interview invite? Good luck to everyone !! :)

I accepted pharm.
Have you been able to actually accept it yet? Or do we have to wait until the other acceptance package comes? I'm a little confused because my SSC doesn't register my acceptance yet but the email says the deadline is in a week...

Did you guys all receive your acceptance emails yesterday on May 20th?! I haven't heard anything at all yet :(

I got my offer today at 2 46 pm. Although I live in Ontario so it was probably just before 12 in BC. What happened to the mmi practice page? Also did they start sending out acceptances yesterday?

Thanks for your replies, cads and simon0923! From what Ihora posted, it looks like acceptance emails were sent out starting on May 20th....hopefully the acceptance emails are being sent out in batches :(

Have you been able to actually accept it yet? Or do we have to wait until the other acceptance package comes? I'm a little confused because my SSC doesn't register my acceptance yet but the email says the deadline is in a week...
Yes accepted, paid the deposit, and changed the program in ssc.

Thanks for your replies, cads and simon0923! From what Ihora posted, it looks like acceptance emails were sent out starting on May 20th....hopefully the acceptance emails are being sent out in batches :(
I think they are they pick a certain amount of candidates. Wait for someone to accept or decline and keep on rolling down the list of people.

I got mine at 2:41pm (EST) today then 21st of May, looks like theyre doing them individually-ish

I skimmed through all of the attachments and didn't see directions to accept it just that it was due in a week. I think they are sending out more info soon? I didn't have time to go through it thoroughly yet since I'm at work and have to be up early tomorrow to travel.

What was the deposit cost?

I got mine at 2:41pm (EST) today then 21st of May, looks like theyre doing them individually-ish

I skimmed through all of the attachments and didn't see directions to accept it just that it was due in a week. I think they are sending out more info soon? I didn't have time to go through it thoroughly yet since I'm at work and have to be up early tomorrow to travel.

What was the deposit cost?
100 cdn

I'm guessing that there weren't any other admission offers sent out today? :( Based on last year's discussion thread, it looks like the rest of us will hear our results next week, including any remaining acceptances, waitlists, and rejections.

Man, I have to admit, I'm pretty disappointed in myself, at this point. I actually felt my MMI went decent, and in my personal profile, I demonstrated multiple long-term volunteer commitments in my community as a leader and many of my experiences were health care-related, too. I wonder where things went wrong for me :(.

Hey guys, anyone know about whether prereqs are still important after the interviews? I have organic chemistry credits from 2 universities after transferring. And one of them is technically a first-year course, but transfers as a second-year course at the university I graduated from. I also can't find any info about these on the course-equivalency pdf.
Having not heard anything this week I decided to email them about my situation today. They would have seen my "courses in progress" in the first transcript I sent in and noticed that I don't have 2 second-level org chems. :S
Any info helps!!

Hey guys, anyone know about whether prereqs are still important after the interviews? I have organic chemistry credits from 2 universities after transferring. And one of them is technically a first-year course, but transfers as a second-year course at the university I graduated from. I also can't find any info about these on the course-equivalency pdf.
Having not heard anything this week I decided to email them about my situation today. They would have seen my "courses in progress" in the first transcript I sent in and noticed that I don't have 2 second-level org chems. :S
Any info helps!!

Hey selitron! Prior to submitting my application, I had asked a similar question about pre-req courses being used in our GPA calculation, so maybe some of this info could be relevant for you. I was told by the Pharmacy department that the UBC Undergraduate Admissions Office is the one that actually looks at our transcripts and pre-reqs to calculate our GPA, to determine if we are competitive to get an interview invite. So, from what I understand, if UBC thought that you didn't satisfy one of the pre-req requirements, I don't think you would have received an interview invite in the first place. However, this is just all speculation on my part :), and hopefully, they will reply back to you soon!

From what I understand, after getting an interview, everyone is ranked according to a combined score from their interview and personal profile (...unless if some red flags show up from the final transcript, I guess, lol :wideyed:).

Anyways, I hope the rest of us hear back soon...I'm guessing that we'll hear back next Thursday, since the people in the first round of acceptance offers have a deadline of 1 week to reply. I'll post right away if I get any e-mails, and I hope you will, too....let's keep each other supported through all of this! :)

Hey selitron! Prior to submitting my application, I had asked a similar question about pre-req courses being used in our GPA calculation, so maybe some of this info could be relevant for you. I was told by the Pharmacy department that the UBC Undergraduate Admissions Office is the one that actually looks at our transcripts and pre-reqs to calculate our GPA, to determine if we are competitive to get an interview invite. So, from what I understand, if UBC thought that you didn't satisfy one of the pre-req requirements, I don't think you would have received an interview invite in the first place. However, this is just all speculation on my part :), and hopefully, they will reply back to you soon!

From what I understand, after getting an interview, everyone is ranked according to a combined score from their interview and personal profile (...unless if some red flags show up from the final transcript, I guess, lol :wideyed:).

Anyways, I hope the rest of us hear back soon...I'm guessing that we'll hear back next Thursday, since the people in the first round of acceptance offers have a deadline of 1 week to reply. I'll post right away if I get any e-mails, and I hope you will, too....let's keep each other supported through all of this! :)

Hey Studentsss!
You have no idea how relieved I am to hear that! Thank you :bow:. I could no sleep last night thinking about it haha. A friend of mine applied, then emailed them about her pre-requisites, then found out she didn't qualify. I emailed them yesterday, explaining that there is no other second-year level org chem I could have taken from my second university.

That's good to hear. So your CGPA won't even matter? Anyway, good luck to you too :luck:. I'll post as soon as I hear anything.

Hey Studentsss!
You have no idea how relieved I am to hear that! Thank you :bow:. I could no sleep last night thinking about it haha. A friend of mine applied, then emailed them about her pre-requisites, then found out she didn't qualify. I emailed them yesterday, explaining that there is no other second-year level org chem I could have taken from my second university.

That's good to hear. So your CGPA won't even matter? Anyway, good luck to you too :luck:. I'll post as soon as I hear anything.

Hopefully the Pharmacy department will confirm my conclusion and reply back to you soon! :) From what I understand, your cGPA is never looked at, during the application process.

Selitron,

I would get a letter from your department of Chemistry explaining that ASAP.
When I applied in Jan or Feb I had the same problem since their MBIO pre-req is no longer offered at my university. I emailed them with a copy of a letter from the head of the MBIO department stating that it is no longer offered as the course was changed to two other courses so as long as I have completed those two I would have covered all the material of that specific course. So I had that emailed directly to them and sent a copy with my transcript too, and they confirmed that they received it. Try to have them prepare a letter for them before the next round of letters go out would be my advice. Goodluck!

For those who got accepted - how do you know what campus you got placed on? I plan to accept my offer today or tomorrow so was just curious

Selitron,

When I applied in Jan or Feb I had the same problem since their MBIO pre-req is no longer offered at my university. I emailed them with a copy of a letter from the head of the MBIO department stating that it is no longer offered as the course was changed to two other courses so as long as I have completed those two I would have covered all the material of that specific course. So I had that emailed directly to them and sent a copy with my transcript too, and they confirmed that they received it. Try to have them prepare a letter for them before the next round of letters go out would be my advice. Goodluck!

For those who got accepted - how do you know what campus you got placed on? I plan to accept my offer today or tomorrow so was just curious
Thanks for the advice. They said it'll be produced tomorrow. I wonder if the next round will be sent out tomorrow or not though.
I seriously thought my transcripts would show something like this... :oops:
As for your question (although I haven't heard back yet) I believe you made the choice when you applied. I could be wrong though. And congratulations!

Selitron,

Hi PharmD.93,

There's only one campus for the UBC Pharmacy program - the Vancouver campus! So, if you received an admission offer, you are automatically admitted into the Vancouver campus :).

That's odd, I paid a $250 deposit. Received my offer Thursday (May 21st) and accepted it Saturday (May 23rd).
I paid $250 as well on Friday. The deposit for all programs is $250 I'm fairly certain. Perhaps lhora was mistaken.

Yeah I paid $250 today. Not sure where $100 came from