UC Berkeley Extension (post baccalaureate pre-medical program)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
D

deleted98530

Hi everyone,

Does anyone know if this specific program has open enrollment? Also, has anyone finished the program or currently in it that has any information? Thank you!:)

Members don't see this ad.

Ya, I am curious about this program, as well. Does anyone know of its structure? Also, do students typically retake the MCAT after the year and apply for medical school the following year? I am debating if this program is good for me...Thanks!

Yes . . . some information . . . any information about this program would be great.

Members don't see this ad :)
I am a current Cal student and I mistakingly applied to this program thinking that there was an application process and got an enrollment confirmation, so I believe it is open enrollment. This program is pretty new so it's not like the other UC post-baccs, and I believe that it is geared a lot towards people who are already working, so they have a lot of night and weekend classes. But I think they do have advising and things like that. I think they'll probably have more stats once they have more graduating classes.

Hope this helps!

Ya, I am curious about this program, as well. Does anyone know of its structure? Also, do students typically retake the MCAT after the year and apply for medical school the following year? I am debating if this program is good for me...Thanks!

I'm currently enrolled at UCB-X now so feel free to ask any specific questions. The structure - it's totally up to you. As the last person said, it's really designed for people that work, so most classes are held in the late afternoon, evenings, and there are some on Saturday, as well.

There have been students that finished up courses, took the MCAT and applied (and were accepted) to med school. I know that some people in my classes plan to do exactly that when it's time for us to do that.

There is a program advisor, and he would be a really great resource with whom to discuss the program. His name is Patrick Brown, and you can get his contact information from the Extension website. He can also explain the application process. Anyone can take classes through Extension, but you do have to apply to get into PBPM program. Some think it's worth it to apply; others don't.

Something that I also tell people - the UCB-X program is really designed for self-motivated people. They will send out information on opportunities and things to remember, but this program will NOT hold your hand. I know that is a turn off for some people, and it's something important to consider.

Feel free to ask any other more specific questions, and I'll do my best to answer what I can.

just thoughts...

Feel free to ask any other more specific questions, and I'll do my best to answer what I can.

just thoughts...

How difficult are the classes, especially upper-level sciences? Is the grading system fair, good, or hard?

Thanks

How difficult are the classes, especially upper-level sciences? Is the grading system fair, good, or hard?

Thanks

I can't speak to the difficulty of the upper-level sciences since I'm not taking any, but from what I understand from other people, they are mostly reasonable. I have yet to encounter one professor that isn't interested in helping students learn the material - or at the very least, providing you with strategies to better learn it on your own.

I think that the grading system varies amongst professors. I think that they are all fair (fair being relative, of course) in the overall grading system, but there are some oddities at times. In one case, the class itself is worth quite a few points, but the points are packed into four exams. Some people like it; others not so much. Most of the professors that I've encountered curve (some curve individual exams/projects, while others curve the entire class) when they deem it necessary, so I've never gotten the sense from anyone that they intentionally want to drown the entire class.

just thoughts...

Very unprofessional place! Be careful!

Thanks for your thoughts about UCB

This program seems very appealing. I'm currently debating if I should go to Harvard Extension or UC-Berkeley after next year to take additional science classes to boost my science GPA.

Thanks for your thoughts about UCB

This program seems very appealing. I'm currently debating if I should go to Harvard Extension or UC-Berkeley after next year to take additional science classes to boost my science GPA.

Tough decision.

I should say that I'm not here to sell anyone on UCB-X, especially given that I almost left the program last semester, as well. My experience with Extension improved exponentially this semester, I didn't want to leave California, and the cost of attending Mills was more than I could swallow so...I'm still here, and it's working out very well.

That said, good luck making the decision and feel free to ask any other questions.

just thoughts...

I'm looking to apply to this program soon and wanted to know if it's been hard getting classes in Berkeley or Oakland? I'm not looking forward to going to Belmont for a lab or class. Also, was it hard to get in to the program? Average age of classmates? Thank you!

Just wondering, for people already in the program, which volunteer/job position do you hold currently? Is it easy to get a spot in a hospital, clinic, hospice, etc.? I'm also wondering if anyone can do part-time research nearby too. I'll consider both clinical and basic science research. :)

Also, are there any MCAT prep sessions and mock interviews for post-bacc students in the program?

Just wondering, for people already in the program, which volunteer/job position do you hold currently? Is it easy to get a spot in a hospital, clinic, hospice, etc.? I'm also wondering if anyone can do part-time research nearby too. I'll consider both clinical and basic science research. :)

Also, are there any MCAT prep sessions and mock interviews for post-bacc students in the program?
I am very new to this forum. I working fulltime and decided to pursue medicine. I know its a long way to go, I am sure it will worth a try .. need some advice from you ..

I am thinking to take X19A "Introductory Biology with Lab, Part A". This is self paced online/distance learning course. Will this course meet prereq for biology?

I graduated Cal in 2007 and have taken a few classes through the extension (genetics, mcb, biochem) since the classes were offered at night and on saturdays. I work full time as a medical office assistant in Napa and commute to Berkeley (drive to El Cerrito then use Bart to downtown Berkeley), which has been convenient despite a high cost for the classes. Classes are offered at various locations in the bay area, which can be a drag, but I have been able to take those I needed at a convenient location. As previously mentionned the UCBX post bacc program lacks framework so if you need guidance, MCAT prep and mock interviews, then you will not find it here. You can apply to be formally in the program so a counselor can build a class/educational plan with you, otherwise you can sign up for the classes you need/are interested in without commitment. I have enjoyed working with wonderful professors and meeting students of different backgrounds and experiences. One last note, joshua 007,beware of taking online courses for those may not meet med school requirements.

I'm currently enrolled at UCB-X now so feel free to ask any specific questions. The structure - it's totally up to you. As the last person said, it's really designed for people that work, so most classes are held in the late afternoon, evenings, and there are some on Saturday, as well.

There have been students that finished up courses, took the MCAT and applied (and were accepted) to med school. I know that some people in my classes plan to do exactly that when it's time for us to do that.

There is a program advisor, and he would be a really great resource with whom to discuss the program. His name is Patrick Brown, and you can get his contact information from the Extension website. He can also explain the application process. Anyone can take classes through Extension, but you do have to apply to get into PBPM program. Some think it's worth it to apply; others don't.

Something that I also tell people - the UCB-X program is really designed for self-motivated people. They will send out information on opportunities and things to remember, but this program will NOT hold your hand. I know that is a turn off for some people, and it's something important to consider.

just thoughts...

I'm late to this thread, but thank you for answering questions.

Do you know if the lab for a corresponding class like General Bio 1 is included in the lecture fee ($800-$900) or did you pay seperately for lecture and lab (total of $1600-1800)?

Also, what have you done since doing this program and how well did you feel prepared for it after the Berkeley program?

Thanks!