Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hi everyone — I’m looking for advice on next steps for medical school prep, especially regarding post-bacc vs SMP options.
I graduated in 2024 with a BS in Biology from a T10 school. My cumulative GPA is a 3.45, but my science GPA is ~2.99. I earned mostly B’s in bio and physics, but struggled more in chemistry (multiple C’s).
After undergrad, I pursued an MPH at another T10 and will be graduating this May. My MPH GPA is very strong (4.2), but most of the coursework is not hard science, aside from 1–2 epidemiology/biostats courses. I know med schools value upward trends, but I also understand that a non-science graduate degree doesn’t carry the same weight for GPA repair.
My main concern is how best to address my low science GPA. I’m currently considering:
• A 1-year academic-enhancer post-bacc
• An SMP
I’ve been looking closely at the UC Berkeley post-bacc program. I like that it’s flexible and would allow me to retake some of my lower-grade prereqs (especially chemistry) while also taking upper-level science courses for a year. However, I haven’t been able to find much online about the actual student experience or outcomes.
Some specific questions I have:
I’ve read mixed opinions online about whether post-baccs really “move the needle” for GPA repair versus SMPs, especially when starting with a sub-3.0 sGPA. I’m also unsure how much schools care about absolute GPA change vs. a strong upward trend with recent A-level science work.
I know the MCAT will matter a lot in my situation — I haven’t taken it yet, but I’m planning to take it sometime next year.
If anyone has been in a similar situation or has insight into UC Berkeley’s post-bacc specifically (or post-bacc vs SMP more generally), I’d really appreciate your thoughts. Thanks so much!
I graduated in 2024 with a BS in Biology from a T10 school. My cumulative GPA is a 3.45, but my science GPA is ~2.99. I earned mostly B’s in bio and physics, but struggled more in chemistry (multiple C’s).
After undergrad, I pursued an MPH at another T10 and will be graduating this May. My MPH GPA is very strong (4.2), but most of the coursework is not hard science, aside from 1–2 epidemiology/biostats courses. I know med schools value upward trends, but I also understand that a non-science graduate degree doesn’t carry the same weight for GPA repair.
My main concern is how best to address my low science GPA. I’m currently considering:
• A 1-year academic-enhancer post-bacc
• An SMP
I’ve been looking closely at the UC Berkeley post-bacc program. I like that it’s flexible and would allow me to retake some of my lower-grade prereqs (especially chemistry) while also taking upper-level science courses for a year. However, I haven’t been able to find much online about the actual student experience or outcomes.
Some specific questions I have:
- Has anyone here completed the UC Berkeley post-bacc (especially as an academic enhancer rather than career changer)?
- Did it meaningfully improve your science GPA or med school competitiveness?
- How rigorous were the courses, and did you feel supported?
- Do med schools seem to value this type of post-bacc, or do SMPs clearly carry more weight?
I’ve read mixed opinions online about whether post-baccs really “move the needle” for GPA repair versus SMPs, especially when starting with a sub-3.0 sGPA. I’m also unsure how much schools care about absolute GPA change vs. a strong upward trend with recent A-level science work.
I know the MCAT will matter a lot in my situation — I haven’t taken it yet, but I’m planning to take it sometime next year.
If anyone has been in a similar situation or has insight into UC Berkeley’s post-bacc specifically (or post-bacc vs SMP more generally), I’d really appreciate your thoughts. Thanks so much!