UC Berkeley Pre-Med or Nova Southeastern BS/DO?

Status
Not open for further replies.

tealsea

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone! I hope you're staying safe and healthy.

I am a current senior in high school right now. I've narrowed down my college decisions to two schools (Nova Southeastern BS/DO Program and UC Berkeley), but I'm still having trouble deciding. Any advice would be much appreciated.

For context, I have been very set on becoming a doctor for a few years now. I don't see this changing in the future. I'm also an international student living in the U.S. on a Visa. This means that while around 42% of regular applicants get accepted to U.S. medical schools each year, only 18% of international applicants get accepted to U.S. medical schools.

Pros and Cons List:

1. NOVA SOUTHEASTERN 4+4 BS/DO PROGRAM
  • Pros
    • I have the option of applying out to other medical schools (not bound to NSU College of Osteopathic Medicine)
    • Around 80% of students in the BS/DO program make it to the DO school --> almost guaranteed acceptance into the DO school
    • I have the option of doing either the 7-year (3+4) or 8-year (4+4) program
    • Overall quality of life: less stressful since I am basically guaranteed a seat in the DO school
    • Minimum MCAT score required to enter NSU DO College is 502
  • Cons
    • I would prefer to have an MD degree over a DO degree.
    • I need to maintain a minimum cumulative science (all BIOL, CHEM, and PHYS courses) GPAs of 3.5 at all times throughout the program. Failure to do so will result in probation from the dual admission program; and if repeated, will lead to suspension from the dual admission program. --> I intend to work hard to maintain a 3.8+, but there is a chance this won't work out.
2. UC BERKELEY PRE-MED
  • Pros
    • I am in the College of Letters & Science, so I can major in virtually anything I want.
    • Prestige/ranking (#4 university in the world)
    • If I somehow decide to change my career path, I will still have lots of other options at Berkeley.
    • I really like the Bay Area!
    • I love Berkeley's liberal values and activism.
  • Cons
    • Of all Berkeley students who take the MCAT, only about 60% get accepted into medical school (UC Berkeley Medical School Acceptance Rates | Career Center) --> chance that I won't get into MD or DO school at all after undergrad (this is made more difficult by the fact that I'm an international student)
    • STEM teachers grade on a curve --> pre-med prereq courses are difficult --> I'm concerned about a low GPA
    • Overall quality of life: stressful since pre-meds are competing to get into MD/DO school

Any advice would be much appreciated!

Members don't see this ad.

My opinion: Go to Berkeley, aim to achieve at least the same stats Nova requires for the direct DO program, take advantage of increased extracurricular opportunities at Berkeley, and maintain your optionality. It’s too early to pigeonhole yourself.

Members don't see this ad :)
My opinion: Go to Berkeley, aim to achieve at least the same stats Nova requires for the direct DO program, take advantage of increased extracurricular opportunities at Berkeley, and maintain your optionality. It’s too early to pigeonhole yourself.
Thanks for your input! But I really do want to be a doctor and I've done shadowing/volunteering at a hospital. I've considered other career paths, but none seem to fit as well. Given this, do you think I should still choose Berkeley?

Thanks for your input! But I really do want to be a doctor and I've done shadowing/volunteering at a hospital. I've considered other career paths, but none seem to fit as well. Given this, do you think I should still choose Berkeley?

Yes, I would. Being ~8 years away from having to choose a residency, it is impossible to make an informed decision about medical specialties at this point, so if I were you I would take the road that gave me the greatest potential options. Being a DO will limit your optionality in the medical world -- it will be much harder to get into some of the more competitive medical specialties, if you do end up deciding to go that route.

Also check out this thread:

Status
Not open for further replies.