UC Boulder Post Bacc Students? Cohort 2011

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

wisco girl

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all! Are there any UC Boulder students out there? I would love to learn more about your experience so far this year, knowing you are the first group to go through. I spoke with an advisor last week, and our conversation was very helpful. I like what I've learned about Boulder and I am glad it is an R1 research school (since I am coming from the U of M, also very research driven). Also, that the Denver med school has some new neuroscience bldg, which I am curious about.

I will be relocating from Minneapolis, so ensuring that this program is good fit is very important. Please send me a note if you don't want to post details on this thread.

Members don't see this ad.

I am interested in this program for a couple reasons.

1) Possibility of getting into CU Denver Medical school: With their strong preference for in-state students (75%) and relatively low admissions statistics (3.6 gpa s and 31 MCAT) for the caliber of school. The ability to go to a post bac and establish residency on a school that accepts 75% in-state, and the ability to network and get to know the people there seems like a great way to get into a great school.

However,

Cost - For an out of state student - the program alone is going to cost about 45k, not including room and board.

Admission requirements - i have been out of school for 6 years and they want me to take a GMAT or GRE, when no other post-bacc's require this from what i have seen.

I am interested to hear anyone else's thoughts on this program as it is new, with no established history.

Does anyone know about the director's credentials and ability to market and advise students to get into medical schools?

The ability to go to a post bac and establish residency
I suggest you'll want to lean towards paranoia on assessing requirements to establish residency for in-state tuition. The only state I know of that counts going to school as establishing a domicile is Ohio. Generally you have to establish residency by working (and thus paying taxes).

Best of luck to you.

Members don't see this ad :)
http://registrar.colorado.edu/students/tuition_classification_regulations.html

This link shows the tuition classification for in-state.

"You are eligible to establish domicile and begin the one year domicile period if you are at least 22 years old, or are married, or are emancipated from your parents, or if you are a graduate student. Persons not so qualified are unemancipated minors and assume the domicile of their parents or court-appointed legal guardian.

Adult students cannot qualify for in-state tuition through their parents, with the following exception: Because in-state status is lost only after one year of domicile elsewhere, adult students less than age 23 may be able to qualify through their parents. Consult the Tuition Classification Officer for additional information."

Is a post-bac program student considered a graduate student?

Is a post-bac program student considered a graduate student?
If you're taking undergrad coursework (such as the med school prereqs) then that's an undergrad program. "Postbac" is an almost entirely meaningless term, unfortunately.

(Pedantic details: in some cases, you can take prereqs while you're a grad student. But in some cases, such undergrad coursework is classified as graduate, by AMCAS.)