UC(california) post baccalaureate program

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mttam

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
gl to all who applied. has anyone heard any news yet?

Members don't see this ad.

I applied about a month ago and they said I will hear back around May. If you don't hear back by mid-May you should contact them.

I interviewed with UCSD over the phone a few days ago. I also heard from UCSF at the beginning of April to let me know that they had received my application. I haven't heard anything from the other ones.

Good luck to all people out there applying for this year!:)

Members don't see this ad :)
i went to the UCSD program... 2003.

I miss San Diego. the program, is pretty loose. what it really comes down to is doing well on your MCAt that summer, and getting good grades that year.

geee... nothing new i know.

Saundra Kirk is a great person, and she'll write you a very extensive and helpful LOR.

if you get a chance, try the phlebotomy externship at the VA

it's.. an okay experience, but it's easy and sooo close to campus.

I was wondering if anyone has heard back from UCSF's, UCD's, or UCI's post bac? Have they said when will they start interviewing?

I checked off UCD, UCI, and UCSF on the app; The only thing I've gotten was an email notification on April 17 that my app to UCSF was complete and "All applicants will be notified by June 1, 2007 as to their status."

I don't have any info on when the interviews will start:(

hey don't worry, as far as I know, they are waiting until may to officallly do things because that's when people find out their results from med school. they should be calling you sometime soon. i just heard from ucsf for an interview on the tenth of may, probably for a waitlist position or so in the program. good luck to you....by chance, anyone know if these post-bacs offer linkages????

hey don't worry, as far as I know, they are waiting until may to officallly do things because that's when people find out their results from med school. they should be calling you sometime soon. i just heard from ucsf for an interview on the tenth of may, probably for a waitlist position or so in the program. good luck to you....by chance, anyone know if these post-bacs offer linkages????

from what I heard they don't have any linkage programs. so far i know the linkage programs are at goucher, scripps, drexel, etc. you can check out the post-bac program listing on the aamc website. even though the uc's don't have a linkage program, i hear they have a high success rate of their graduates matriculating into med school. Good luck!

Hey dmcchung827,

I wonder why do you think that you will be interviewing for a waitlist position. Has anyone that you know already been accepted to UCSF?

hey person x,

actually i don't know for sure but just guessing. i do think they accept about 20 applicants to the program so maybe there's a chance for me. the biggest problem is that my science gpa is solid as well as my overall gpa. i'm from a disadvantaged background and my mcat's are also not that terrible; i have a feeling they'll give the seat to the person whose grades and mcats need more help.

I heard back from UCSF about two days ago and they want to interview me on May 11. :thumbup: Any other news from anyone? Any acceptances yet? :)

Members don't see this ad :)
good luck on the interview!

i applied last year. i'm in the ucla program. both ucsf and ucla inform their prospective students towards the end of may. i heard back from ucla and ucsf the same day. ucsd tells their students earlier. i heard from them two/three weeks before.

i know, it can be a little nerve-wrecking not to hear back already. but just a few more weeks and you guys will found out. its quite exciting, actually.

if you guys have any questions at all, feel free to message me.

best of luck!

I didn't know postbacc programs existed until mid-March of this year :laugh:. I only applied to the UC programs and I completed my app just a few days ago.

I have a feeling my chances aren't very good :thumbdown: .

Hey dmcchung827,

When did you apply to the UCSF postbac? Did you apply early?

I heard back from UCSF about two days ago and they want to interview me on May 11. :thumbup: Any other news from anyone? Any acceptances yet? :)
Congratulations on your upcoming interview!!

When was your file complete?

So if I apply now I might still have a chance???:smuggrin:

UCSF called me yesterday evening to schedule interview and left a message on my voicemail stating they had interview dates open on may 16-18. But, when I called back today, they stated they had filled those dates and had interviews open on May 21 and 22. Seems like a lot of interview dates. Does anyone know how many students are being interviewed/accepted into the program at UCSF?

Also, my app was completed last Tuesday Evening. (April 24th)
And, no word yet from the other schools.

According to my sources, UCSF receives 160+ applicants each year. I don't know how many of those are invited to interview, but I know that the program ultimately accepts only 10-15 students. (I don't know the breakdown of first-time applicants vs. reapplicants.) It's the most competitive of all the post-bacs.

Hey ENTguy, I applied very early, in january/ february. I called to check if my apps were complete a few times to show interest and a few weeks later, i got a phone call. I think the interview dates are based on when your app was complete and whether you are instate or out-of-state. instate students get interviewed a later than out of states. good luck and hopefully we'll all get interviewed!

hey ATPsynthase (haha, cool name; i really need some ATP now), the deadline for ucsf's post bac already passed but i think other uc's post bac's are still accepting apps. last year, i applied to ucla's program in june and got an interivew a week later! but i ultimately got waitlisted and didn't get in because i applied late. good luck with checking around. look through aamc's website and type in post bac. or go to ucsf's main website and type in post bac cause it connects you to all the other postbacs.

Any news? How are the rest of you holding up?

UCLA just called to schedule an interview for THIS week! :eek: Fricking JEEZ.... Such short notice! Nonetheless, I'll take it :) Anyone else with news/acceptances/etc?

Congrats! They Do Have A Linkage To Drew And Ucla So That's The Best One To Go!

Has anyone interviewed for the UCSF postbac program. I know that there are interviews today and tomorrow. Any advice or warnings?
Most importantly- what the heck do you wear? Thanks.

i just had my interview with UCSF today. I was the first interview of their season and they are going to continue interviewing until 5/24, when decisions will be made. it was roughly 30 minutes long with standard questions. They will interview 40 applicants in the next few weeks and let everyone know by june. the interviewers were laid back and you should dress as if to medical school interview. Bring ID to check in at the security desk. ok, hope that helps and good luck to everyone.

I have read that theese ucf programs cater exclusivly to under represented minorities. Do they mean racialy or financialy? ALso Are their preferences by the uc med's for students from their own post bac programs?

they are for both underrepresented and social-economically challenged students so not just underrepresented minority. in fact, the student interviewing after me was white and seemed privileged. it's random.

Hi DMCCHUNG825,

For your UCSF postbac interview- how many interviewers did you have, and do you remember who they were. Was Linda Trevor or the other coordinator involved? Thanks.

it was not linda trevor who interviewed me. it was valerie margol and felicia tripp.

DMCCHUNG827,

Thanks for all the info. One last question. Do you remember what Valerie and Felicia looked like? I had my interview today but I forgot if it was Linda or Valerie in the room with me. There were two women. One was a young african american woman, and the other was a caucasion middle aged woman with short hair. Do you know who was who? Thanks so much!

Actually does anyone know what they look like? Thanks so much!

the african american one is felicia tripp. she gave me a business card after the interview. the other one is valerie margol. good luck to you!

What do you mean UCLA post bac has a linkage to UCLA and Drew-a guaranteed admission? A guaranteed interview (I've heard this)? Or just special consideration?
Thanks.

90% Acceptance Chance With Guaranteed Interviewed.

negative = seems like they were interviewing a lot of people when i went there on friday and they accept max 10... guaranteed interview if you meet the program goals and requirements...

Has anyone received a secondary post-bac application from UCSF? Any news from the other programs? Any acceptances yet? :) Has anyone heard back from UCD or UCI at least for interviews? I know that UCD has a rolling admissions policy, so they should have accepted some people by now. :luck:

Does anybody know when UCSF postbac will notify applicants about admissions?

Is secondary application to ucsf postbac the application to San Francisco state university, or an application similar to med school secondaries that will determine admissions. I ask because-why would they interview before secondaries? Thanks.

Does anybody know when UCSF postbac will notify applicants about admissions?

I believe they are going to be notified by June 1st. I think it is in their website.

Is secondary application to ucsf postbac the application to San Francisco state university, or an application similar to med school secondaries that will determine admissions. I ask because-why would they interview before secondaries? Thanks.

No, it is not the application for SFSU. That one is another application that needs to be submitted once an acceptance has been granted. It is not a secondary application as in medical school admissions. It says halfway through their website. Here is the link:

http://medschool.ucsf.edu/postbac/

Anyone hear anything from UCD?

Hi,

Has anyone received secondaries from ucsf? I have a feeling that getting a secondary doesn't necessarily mean that you've gotten into the program, despite the fact that it says otherwise on the website.

It might not mean that you're in, but it's obviously a good sign if you receive one.

According to their website, you don't fill out the secondary till after you are accepted.

Does anyone of the ones who have interviewed at UCSF-Post Bac, know what the proposed wait-list situation is or will be like?

How many people or does it depend completely on how many (never applied applicants to med. school) and (already applied applied) apply, get interview and ultimately get accepted?

Did anyone ask about this during their interviews or get any hints from the people they were interviewed by? Mind sharing any info? Thanks.

Has anyone received acceptances anywhere yet?

are you guys sure about a secondary for the post bacc for ucsf? if so, can those who have already received it post the question?

post what question? I received a secondary last week. It was accompanied with a letter that read- all applicants will be notified before June 1. I was confused because on the website, it states that accepted students receive a secondary and sfsu application, but nothing of the sort was mentioned in the letter.

i thought it was a secondary with additional questions.