UC(california) post baccalaureate program

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Dear mttam,

The secondary application asks personal data such as your address, an emergency contact, financial aid, etc. It is actually not that long, but it clearly states at the end that all applicants will be notified by June 1st, so it is really not an acceptance.

Members don't see this ad.

person x,

do you know if everyone is getting a secondary application?

Dear JGC80,

I don't know if everyone is getting a secondary application. I did my interview on the phone, so I really could not talk to them much. My guess would be that it would not seem logical to give everyone a secondary application, maybe 30 out of the 40 will get one to narrow it down, and then make final evaluations in the next week for the 10-15 spots.

I don't know, what do you think?

Anyone else thinks otherwise?

Members don't see this ad :)
Did anyone get an interview for UCD or UCI?

No, haven't heard a single thing from UCD or UCI. The only thing that I heard through a friend that is currently in the UCD post-bac was that they were starting interviews on the week of May 14th or so.

Secondary, as Linda put it, was questions not asked on the consortium app... Not a real secondary. She said she was giving them to all who interviewed. Last interview(s) tommorrow for UCSF... Good luck all.

I finally heard from UCD today, so don´t give up. :) They´re apparently still interviewing.

I too heard from UCD today. My interview is on June 2nd. Thank you Jesus! This was a pleasant surprise, I didn't I was going to hear anything from any of the schools. Trust that the Lord will give you the desires of your heart.

E-mail acceptances came today, 2 days after the interview... :D Anyone else going to UCSF in 3.5 weeks?

Congratulations, Zippy! :hardy: That's fantastic news!

Can anyone share what the interviews are like. Are they as intense as a med school interview would be and what types of questions do they ask? Any info would be great. Thanks! :rolleyes:

Can anyone share what the interviews are like. Are they as intense as a med school interview would be and what types of questions do they ask? Any info would be great. Thanks! :rolleyes:

I believe zippyh20 had an interview with them. You might want to try to PM her/him. Good luck. :luck:

Any UCSF 1st time applicants hear back?

Members don't see this ad :)
Anyone hear a yes or no from UCLA yet?

Ok, first of all, at the risk of sounding stupid, I didn't even know there was an interview required for the Postbaccalaureate program! :eek: I don't remember reading that ANYWHERE in the program description...

I think someone asked some of these questions earlier, but they weren't addressed:

1.) Can anyone who has already interviewed for the program give us an idea of the questions that were asked?

2.) Is there an absolute consensus that we should dress for this interview as if it were a medical school interview? I won't look foolish if I deck out in what I planned on wearing for a med school interview, will I? :scared:

3.) What are these "secondaries" of which you speak!?! :eek: Again, at the risk of sounding utterly uninformed, I swear, I couldn't find anything anywhere online or otherwise regarding an interview or secondaries... of all things!

4.) What are our options if (a) we never got an interview invitation, or (b) we interviewed and were rejected from the program? Has anyone figured that out? The Post-bac program was my "Plan B," and I don't have a "Plan C." Any ideas?

5.) How are you guys working on the AMCAS application, MCAT, and transcripts while waiting for word from the Post-bac committee? Assuming we get into the program, and given that we have to take MCAT prep courses during the summer (first half of the program), won't our results, which we have to turn in to AMCAS, and such be late? I know being on time, if not absolutely early, with AMCAS is important... Will the post-bac program hamper our AMCAS deadlines?

Sorry... I'm dying here. Anxious and worried. :confused: Any info would be of GREAT help. Really. (PS. I'm SOOO glad this thread is here!)

First of all, I will advise you to read the websites of the post-bacs thoroughly that you are considering. It has all the information you need to know. Some of your questions have already been talked about in the beginning of the thread, but I will go ahead and answer them.

1.) Can anyone who has already interviewed for the program give us an idea of the questions that were asked?

The questions are different for everyone because they are mostly tailored to your essay. There is no real template set of questions. In my experience, they asked questions pertaining my background, goals that you have for medicine, population you would like to work with and why, etc. just to name a few examples. Just run a search in google for interview questions for medical school.

The Real KiKi said:
2.) Is there an absolute consensus that we should dress for this interview as if it were a medical school interview? I won't look foolish if I deck out in what I planned on wearing for a med school interview, will I?

There is no penalty for overdressing. It is almost expected of you to dress as if it were a medical school interview. Remember that you are trying to get into a post-bac to hopefully get into medical school.

The Real KiKi said:
3.) What are these "secondaries" of which you speak!?! :eek: Again, at the risk of sounding utterly uninformed, I swear, I couldn't find anything anywhere online or otherwise regarding an interview or secondaries... of all things!

Refer to the post on the second page, the very first one that starts: "Dear mttam...". FYI only UCSF's post-bac has a secondary that we know.

The Real KiKi said:
4.) What are our options if (a) we never got an interview invitation, or (b) we interviewed and were rejected from the program? Has anyone figured that out? The Post-bac program was my "Plan B," and I don't have a "Plan C." Any ideas?

a) None

b) None at the post-bacs you applied. You could try to take courses at your local university doing your own informal post-bac. Refer to SFSU informal post bac. They have extensive information on this type of post-bac in their website.

You could also call the post-bacs and ask how you can strenghten your profile for the following year.

The Real KiKi said:
5.) How are you guys working on the AMCAS application, MCAT, and transcripts while waiting for word from the Post-bac committee? Assuming we get into the program, and given that we have to take MCAT prep courses during the summer (first half of the program), won't our results, which we have to turn in to AMCAS, and such be late? I know being on time, if not absolutely early, with AMCAS is important... Will the post-bac program hamper our AMCAS deadlines?

Unless the only help you need is a strong MCAT score, people don't usually send in their AMCAS application. The whole purpose of the post-bac is to strengthen your science gpa, and the MCAT, and maybe do some research and clinical if you haven't done any. Usually the post-bac directors will tell you if they think that it is wise to send in your AMCAS application. And no, your application won't be considered late, however you would be at a disadvantage against the students who submitted their application in June. As I said, only the post-bac directors would know if you should send in your AMCAS application while doing the post-bac.

I think that is about it. GL. :luck: I hope that helps.

Perfect, thank you!!! :love:

(Esp. regarding the last question... )

As it turns out, I glossed over UCI and UCSF's descriptions of the program; completely forgot about UCSD, which, consequently, did mention the interview process. Jeez. :rolleyes:

Thanks again!

Just out of curiousity for those of you who have received responses especially thoses from UCSF and UCLA, how did they contact you to tell you they were considering you. Did they tell you through e-mail or did they mail you something?

Haven't heard of any acceptances from UCLA, but UCSF sent a letter and an e-mail to notify of acceptance. E-mail came 6 days prior to letter.

hi everyone,

it seems like these UC post bacs geared for those who undereprsented minorites in medicine or for those who are financially disadvantage

OR

for those who are reapplicants (already applied to medical school and got rejected).

Also, if i want more information about these schools about gpa, mcats, lors, requirements, linkages etc. do i contact each UC school separately?.

i have taken all the science prereqs and looking for an 'enrichment' program to increase my gpa and take the mcat over. i not a minority and undereprented in anyway. can i still apply for these programs in the future?

hopefully you guys can respond with answers :). i tried reading a few posts and got no answers:(

~m~

I was wondering if anyone got rejection letters yet? If you have, when? and how? E-mail or regular mail. The tension is just killing me.:confused: I can assume somethings but I can't say it's 100% until I see the letter.

The tension is just killing me.

Don't worry, you're not alone! I've been growing more and more tense all week, since UCSF said that they would notify all of their applicants by Friday, June 1. I'm assuming that the rejections/acceptances will be sent by email, and possibly followed by paper letters (like the one Zippy received).

I'm sort of anxious about the fact that no one here has heard anything from UCSF this week - I hope they're not pushing back their notification timeline. Thoughts?

Whether I walk or not at graduation depends on UCSF's decision. Plus I just got a job that I'm suppose to start after I graduate and if I get accepted I don't want to tell my employer at the last minute.:confused:

Top it off, my friend in SF needs a roommate. I told her that if I get in I'll be her roommate. She wants an answer ASAP.
Just wondering, who here applied as a first time applicant and who here applied as reapplicant.

I heard from an ex-post bac student yesterday that you have to sign a contract saying you promise you won't have a job should you be accepted into the post-bac program. The idea is that you're going to devote all your time/energy to the program and work on fixing MCAT/GPA.

By the way... anyone interview with UC Davis or UC Irvine? Who were the interviewers (their names, if you remember)?

Thanx.

(Re-applicant :()

Anyone hear good news from SF today? Am waitlisted at UCLA, so am putting all my eggs on UCSF and signing the contract that requires me to withdraw from UCLA and all other post-baccs... So, someone's moving up on the waitlist at ucla... anyone else going to sf in 2.5 weeks?

Nope, Zippy, no news of any kind from UCSF today. I called several times between 4:00 and 5:00 pm to see if they had set a new date for admissions decisions, but all I got was an answering machine. The secondary application clearly stated All applicants will be notified by June 1, 2007. I just don't know what's going on at this point.

All you lurkers out there, please let us know if you've heard anything!

(I'm a first-time applicant, christigmc.)

Betsey, check your mail box. That's where I got my response.

Hi Betsey,
I called them today. They told me their last interviews would be on Monday. But the lady wasn't very nice to me on the phone. So I'm guessing somewhere in the next two weeks.

I called the UCD office and the lady said they are still in the process of conducting interviews. I said, "so does that mean I don't need to be worried if I haven't heard from you guys, yet?" and she said "yeah, not at all." But she didn't sound very confident.

The UCSD office said their spots are all filled, and now they're just "screening" for "alternate spots."

Since UCD and UCSD are the only two schools considering me... I'm starting to feel like TOAST.

I got a rejection by mail. :( I hope the news is better for the rest of you.

Scribble, thank you for letting us know that UCSD's spots are all full now. I guess we'll be getting the official news from them by June 15, right?

Anyone know if any of the UC post bac programs have any form of appealing process?

What do you mean UCLA post bac has a linkage to UCLA and Drew-a guaranteed admission? A guaranteed interview (I've heard this)? Or just special consideration?
Thanks.

It's a guaranteed interview...but don't look too much into it...pretty meaningless if you ask me

90% Acceptance Chance With Guaranteed Interviewed.

that's laughable...I was in RAP and I can assure you that the acceptance rate is not 90%

anyone hear any news yet?

Just a warning to all of you considering UCLA's RAP program...you are not considered a student at UCLA. Therefore you must take all your classes through UCLA extension, and are severly limited in terms of what classes you can take. At most of the other UC's, you are considered a student, and even get priority registration in terms of classes. May not be a big deal right now, but it sucks when you hit spring and realize that you haven't taken too many useful classes.

Oh, and because you are not a student at UCLA, you have no access to the main campus library, no access to the gym and many other resources.

Just something to keep in mind

any one hear anything from UCI postbac? or know about their time line in getting back to us? Thanks!

UCI contacted me to confirm that they had received my application, but I never heard from them again after that, and no one else on this thread seems to have heard from them, either. All I know is that they were interviewing in May.

Today I got my official acceptance from UCD. I got it via email. I am extremely blessed to have been accepted. God is good and just keep the faith. God bless yall!!

Actually its a lot cheaper than taking classes at an undergrad at other UC programs. And not to mention, you won't be taking 3 classes a quarter with other undergrads if you go through RAP. You'll be able to focus more on your MCAT, work and gain any clinical experience you may want. The flexibility of the program makes the difference. Its a great program.

You can also access the main library, Powell. A few of the RAP students studied there for the MCAT. And you also get an ID card from the School of Medicine. RAP students are not disconnected to the school at all. I believe more so that RAP students have more contact with their med school than other programs and their respective med schools.

Just a warning to all of you considering UCLA's RAP program...you are not considered a student at UCLA. Therefore you must take all your classes through UCLA extension, and are severly limited in terms of what classes you can take. At most of the other UC's, you are considered a student, and even get priority registration in terms of classes. May not be a big deal right now, but it sucks when you hit spring and realize that you haven't taken too many useful classes.

Oh, and because you are not a student at UCLA, you have no access to the main campus library, no access to the gym and many other resources.

Just something to keep in mind

Should I just assume things are hopeless if I haven't received any news, yet? Also, do the UC's mainly contact via mail (I haven't checked in 3 weeks!!) ? Because I don't have anything via email.

Hope everyone else is getting at least some recognition of existence...

you probably wanna check your mail, but my two acceptances came via email and phone first and then mail... i dont know how ucsd, uci, ucd are doing them though...

Congratulations, BlackDr2b! :hardy: It's a great program, and a great place to live. Does anyone else out there have good news?

Also: I received an official rejection from UCSD via email today. Apparently there were 326 applicants for 10 spots.

hi everyone,

it seems like these UC post bacs geared for those who undereprsented minorites in medicine or for those who are financially disadvantage

OR

for those who are reapplicants (already applied to medical school and got rejected).

Also, if i want more information about these schools about gpa, mcats, lors, requirements, linkages etc. do i contact each UC school separately?.

i have taken all the science prereqs and looking for an 'enrichment' program to increase my gpa and take the mcat over. i not a minority and undereprented in anyway. can i still apply for these programs in the future?

hopefully you guys can respond with answers :). i tried reading a few posts and got no answers:(

~m~