UC Davis Biochemistry help!!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Tyme4me

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everybody,

I am a senior at UC Davis and plan to walk this quarter, but I had a question about taking the biochem classes here. For those that attended Davis know about the 2 different choices to complete the BioSci major requirement, and that is to take either Bis 102 AND 103 or just take bis 105. I know that UCSF does not accept just 105 because of the unit requirement (they require 4 units of biochem where 105 is only 3 units, forcing one to take both 102+103).

My plan was to take 105 this quarter and just finish 104 in the summer, but I am reconsidering because I want to be able to at least apply to UCSF, so I will take 103 and 104 this quarter, and then 102 in the summer. I can't afford to come back next year because the tuition cost is just way too high at this moment. I haven't taken the DAT yet, but plan to soon, and my GPA is around 3.0. I know my GPA isn't competitive, so I plan to really focus on the DAT and hope to get a decent score to get in.

Yes, UCSF has been a dream for me for a long time, but I need to be realistic also. I don't want to have to take more than what I need and risk getting any lower grades. So my question is this, for someone in my position (with my gpa that is), should I even bother taking Bis 102+103 to try for UCSF? Or should I just take 105 (which is accepted by most other schools) and not bother applying to UCSF?

Any inputs would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you!!!!

Members don't see this ad.

Hey everybody,

I am a senior at UC Davis and plan to walk this quarter, but I had a question about taking the biochem classes here. For those that attended Davis know about the 2 different choices to complete the BioSci major requirement, and that is to take either Bis 102 AND 103 or just take bis 105. I know that UCSF does not accept just 105 because of the unit requirement (they require 4 units of biochem where 105 is only 3 units, forcing one to take both 102+103).

My plan was to take 105 this quarter and just finish 104 in the summer, but I am reconsidering because I want to be able to at least apply to UCSF, so I will take 103 and 104 this quarter, and then 102 in the summer. I can't afford to come back next year because the tuition cost is just way too high at this moment. I haven't taken the DAT yet, but plan to soon, and my GPA is around 3.0. I know my GPA isn't competitive, so I plan to really focus on the DAT and hope to get a decent score to get in.

Yes, UCSF has been a dream for me for a long time, but I need to be realistic also. I don't want to have to take more than what I need and risk getting any lower grades. So my question is this, for someone in my position (with my gpa that is), should I even bother taking Bis 102+103 to try for UCSF? Or should I just take 105 (which is accepted by most other schools) and not bother applying to UCSF?

Thank you!!!!

Hello fellow Aggie!

The quick answer is...if you want to apply to UCSF, then you must take BIS 102+103. There might be other schools out there that would not accept BIS 105, you must find this out yourself. Hilt is an excellent lecturer for 102, just be sure to get your hands on as many old exams as possible.

Don't worry too much about your low GPA. Concentrate on your DAT for now. UCD prepares students well, but also really messes up people's science GPAs.

Hey guys fellow aggie here!

If any of you two are biochem majors, do you guys think its a good idea to take MCB120L and pchem together?

Thanks!

:)

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey everybody,

Thank you!!!!

Hey aggie!

Here is my advice... There were classes that I wish I had taken before I graduated and regreted not doing so. I looked into taking classes even at sf state or open university uc berkley but it was too expensive or too hard to get into.. The truth is that after I graduated I finally appreciated ucd didn't charge classes by unit. I wanted to take 1 class after graduation and it was about $1000 for postbac. So I say take 102 and 103 to be safe and have no regrets later in case you do want UCSF.

And Not to be brutal but your GPA isn't great. Not a safe GPA even with a high DAT. If you can get As in 102 and 103 it's better than an A in 105 because it'll raise your GPA. Plus UCSF might not be the only school you want that requires 102 and 103. Goodluck!

Hey guys fellow aggie here!

If any of you two are biochem majors, do you guys think its a good idea to take MCB120L and pchem together?

Thanks!

:)

Hey fellow BMB!

It's doable... Granted you take only one other easy class. Ill be honest... 120L was the most time consuming class I ever took. Pchem was the HARDEST class I ever took. To me those two classes were the motherload of what the BMB was about. So it's possible but my advice is to take a non science class with those two classes. Goodluck!

UC Davis represent!

Is MCB 120L the genetics lab? That was kind of a hard class. I took it my last quarter of senior year. The TA for that class wasn't that great, but the professor, Dr. Kiger, was really nice. I didn't take PCHEM at UCD.

Anyone else from Davis? If you guys are still deciding what to take to boost GPA and learn some really interesting biology/science - make sure to take CHA 101/101L with Dr. Gross. Hands down THE best class at UCD for future dentist/doctors. Also try to take systemic physiology, neuroscience, immunology and microbiology. Even though I was a BioSci w/ MCB emphasis, I took a lot more NPB classes because they were way more interesting.

120L is biochem lab. Yea CHA was one of the classes I really wanted to take but I was on a budget crunch to graduate. Easy not really science but classified science classes were sas 20 and bit 171. Super fun/interesting!!

GPA is a bit low for the UCs... it's gonna be an upward battle tbh. But take 102/103. I'd recommend my fellow aggies to take MMI, PMI, and mycology courses. Last one was my fav haha

Hi Aggies!
haha
does anyone know anything about Etzler. I have her this quarter and am a bit nervous because i hear bad things..not to mention im missing a bunch of class due to interviews