UC Davis Suspense

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Here are some numerical statistics of Davis' admissions for this year:

They plan on interviewing a total of 500 students; they have already interviewed 300 and will interview 200 more

They accept a total of 200 students for their 93 person class. They have only offered 95 acceptances,which leaves tons left.

If you are not accepted, you are put "on hold," and will be notified starting JUNE

They told us this information at my interview today so don't worry, for Davis, this is more like the middle of the process.
 
Yo, I called last week, and they told me they haven't reached a decision on my file yet and that they should reach a decision in two weeks. That's mid-April. 😛
 
Originally posted by kwanny
Yo, I called last week, and they told me they haven't reached a decision on my file yet and that they should reach a decision in two weeks. That's mid-April. 😛
They told me the same thing 2x. That was before they told me the decision was simply never entered into the system.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Originally posted by twizzlers
OMG!!! So I was just about to mail my letter of interest to UC Davis, but I decided to call Terri at the admissions office just to see what was up with my app. And she told me I had just been accepted!!

And this is my FIRST acceptance!!! 😀 😀 😀 I'm so happy! I'm actually going to go to medical school! :wow:


Congrats! Were you put on hold prior to getting the acceptance?
 
Originally posted by Violinrose
Congrats! Were you put on hold prior to getting the acceptance?
I don't think I was, though I can't be sure... ok, this was the timeline for my Davis app. Took the August MCAT, so I got the secondary invite in early November, submitted the secondary/LORs by end of November... got an interview invite end of January... interviewed end of February... and got an acceptance about six weeks later in early April.

So if I was put on hold at some point in that whole process, I wasn't told about it. Sorry I can't give you a more definite answer. 🙁
 
Hey folks,

I don't know how accurate this is because I obtained it from a somewhat unreliable source. This information is for those people on the hold list.

My unreliable source informed me that Davis writes the applicants names on piece of papers and fold them so the names become invisible. After this procedure, they invite a blind-folded first year med. student to perform some duties. This student is then asked to randomly select names from the coockie jar. The first 50% gets in, second 30 % waitlist, and the last 20%...no Davis for them.

I don't really believe this, and I hope you think about it thoroughly first before drawing your own conclusion.

good luck to you all.

proph... (back to the waiting game)
 
Proph2, you are evil!

But here are some holes in the story. 🙁
Student is blindfolded. Not needed since the names become invisible once folded.
"student to perform some duties". Duties other than picking names?
You said the 1st 50% get in. Gotta be lower than that in my mind since this is the hold list and not the waitlist. If you change the order of accept and reject (50-20), then I would think it possible.

...same here....(back to the waiting game).
Just 8 more weeks till we start hearing news right?...
Hope I can wait that long...
 
If you are on hold, don't lose faith, send in an LOI! Davis is reviewing their On Hold list. I had sent a LOI last week and Ed called me yesterday to tell me they had accepted me! I'm so stoked, can't wait to meet some of you in the Fall!

Aseem
 
hi aseem


how long were you on hold for? was this post-interview hold or something different?

volrton77
 
voltron,
It was a post interview hold. I interviewd on 1/29 and they put me on hold on 3/15. I sent in my LOI on 3/29 and they called me back on 4/8 to tell me my status had been changed. If you are on post interview hold, don't delay and send in your LOI if davis is your #1 choice.

Aseem
 
I interviewed in December was put on hold on 03/15....I sent in my LOI two weeks ago so I am hoping I get a call too!!!! Thanks for the information!!!!:clap:
 
Originally posted by Mr Reddly
Proph2, you are evil!

But here are some holes in the story. 🙁
Student is blindfolded. Not needed since the names become invisible once folded.
"student to perform some duties". Duties other than picking names?
You said the 1st 50% get in. Gotta be lower than that in my mind since this is the hold list and not the waitlist. If you change the order of accept and reject (50-20), then I would think it possible.

...same here....(back to the waiting game).
Just 8 more weeks till we start hearing news right?...
Hope I can wait that long...

Holy cow! Remember the caveat: it was from an unreliable source so I didn't even bother thinking too much about it before posting it.

So Rid, have you sent in the LOI yet? Is Davis your first choice?

I don't know about the 8 week waiting thing, but I have been on hold for a long time. I interviewed last week tho.

proph...
 
Longtime SDN browser, first-time poster.

Interviewed mid November, put on hold 2 months later, sent LOI 3/29, Ed leaves msg saying status changed 4/8, accepted 4/9.

(it's like dejavu all over again)
 
Jubester3 said:
Longtime SDN browser, first-time poster.

Interviewed mid November, put on hold 2 months later, sent LOI 3/29, Ed leaves msg saying status changed 4/8, accepted 4/9.

(it's like dejavu all over again)


Jubester3,

To whom do I address the letter of intent to? Do you mind giving me the layouts of what you did?


proph...


Red,
I am guessing you have acceptances from other schools. I also noticed you want to go to Davis/Irvine because they have what you like. Do you also think it has something to do with you wanting to stay in Cali? It sure sounds like you and your twin are tight buddies. Good luck on the waiting thing.
 
just wanted to say that 2nd look weekend was tremendous.

uc davis is an amazing school....very impressive.

theres gonna be another 2nd look i believe for the people accepted later on.

good luck!!
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hey jlee or LoneCoyote or anyone else who also stayed for Saturday:

what was the tour of the student-run clinics like? Did you guys like them? Any more interesting/helpful information you learned about Davis?

I had a really nice time on Friday and loved meeting everyone 👍... just wish I didn't have to take summer school physics before I could enroll at Davis. 🙄
 
twizzlers said:
Hey jlee or LoneCoyote or anyone else who also stayed for Saturday:

what was the tour of the student-run clinics like? Did you guys like them? Any more interesting/helpful information you learned about Davis?

I had a really nice time on Friday and loved meeting everyone 👍... just wish I didn't have to take summer school physics before I could enroll at Davis. 🙄

YOU SHOULD HAVE STAYED FOR THE CLINICS!!

they were awesome. we went to three of the major ones. hom, tipati and amoni...when they say student run....it is 99% student run. the other 1% of the time, the doctor comes in to make sure everything you did was good. the clinics are definitely one of their strong points. most of the people that work there said that the clinics were the reason they chose davis over some highly respected schools.

if you ever have the chance to go up again you can easily go in and shadow em anytime you want.
 
hey twizzlers
i second everything that jlee said. the clinics were amazing. they're a really unique opportunity to get early clinical experience so that you're really prepared for rotations third year.
 
Thanks for the info. 🙂 I wish I coud've seen them... hopefully I can go visit them if I drive up there to look for housing or something.
 
yeah the clinics were AWESOME!! definitely worth a visit for anyone who gets into davis later in the cycle. they seem like a great way to learn and you can get really involved really early on in your 1st year. i am so stoked about davis after the re-visit weekend!!
 
Hi Guys,

I know there are quite a number of lakers and kings fans in our group. They're not $300 playoff tickets, but we can get lakers vs. kings preseason game tickets for 10/19/04. They go on sale April 19, 2004, so if you guys are interested...we can raid the on-line ticketmaster at 10am together and caravan down to fresno.
 
Hi Guys,

I know there are quite a number of lakers and kings fans in our group.

No doubt about that. :laugh: That was a fun conversation. 👍 My hesitation about getting pre-season tickets for the next season is that I don't know who is even going to be on the Lakers next year. GP and Kobe may be gone to other teams, and Malone and Phil Jackson may retire. So I'll have to think about this one...

But if you can somehow get your hands on any playoff tickets for less than a 100 bucks, please let me know!! I did go to get tickets last Saturday with a friend (she's the only other girl I know who's into basketball like me 🙁 ), and even though they were selling tickets for all the rounds, we could only get $12 tickets for Round 1, Game 7. Which basically means we aren't going, unless they really screw up and have to go to 7 games in the first round.
 
Can anyone tell me how long it really takes to hear back from Davis after an interview? Thanx
I am just SOOOO tired of all this waiting! 😱
 
Love4Radiohead said:
Can anyone tell me how long it really takes to hear back from Davis after an interview? Thanx
I am just SOOOO tired of all this waiting! 😱

It took a really long time... like 3-4 months for several of us on SDN who got accepted. So hang in there... once I had waited 3 months I called and got results, so that's something to think about trying when you can't take it anymore.
 
it's been over 4 months for me, and when i called today, they told me my file hasn't gone through the committee yet. 😡
 
kwanny said:
it's been over 4 months for me, and when i called today, they told me my file hasn't gone through the committee yet. 😡
Still!?! It's funny that I'm glad to be placed on hold. I know that the only two options were accept and hold, but I'm just glad I don't have to think about it that much any more.

Sorry Kwanny. 🙁
 
Oh no... over 4 months and no response.... it has barely been a month for me post-interview... and I am already getting antsy.
well more waiting I guess! 🙄
 
twizzlers said:
No doubt about that. :laugh: That was a fun conversation. 👍 My hesitation about getting pre-season tickets for the next season is that I don't know who is even going to be on the Lakers next year. GP and Kobe may be gone to other teams, and Malone and Phil Jackson may retire. So I'll have to think about this one...

But if you can somehow get your hands on any playoff tickets for less than a 100 bucks, please let me know!! I did go to get tickets last Saturday with a friend (she's the only other girl I know who's into basketball like me 🙁 ), and even though they were selling tickets for all the rounds, we could only get $12 tickets for Round 1, Game 7. Which basically means we aren't going, unless they really screw up and have to go to 7 games in the first round.

i told you!! damn if i was only down there sat, i would have been there with you. but im still impressed you somehow got game 7 tickets 😀
you do get refunds for it tho right? im thinking ya do. but hey...remember you can keep on trying to get tickets round by round so the chances are still there! im trying to go to every major sport championship before i die...

World Series: check! 2002
Super Bowl: not yet
NBA Finals: not yet
Stanley Cup: not yet
March Madness: unfortunately no...
World Cup: one of these days i must!
BCS: Cal will be there one of these years...
 
finnpipette said:
Hi Guys,

I know there are quite a number of lakers and kings fans in our group. They're not $300 playoff tickets, but we can get lakers vs. kings preseason game tickets for 10/19/04. They go on sale April 19, 2004, so if you guys are interested...we can raid the on-line ticketmaster at 10am together and caravan down to fresno.

i cant believe they are selling them soooo early.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
i told you!!

No, you told me wrong! :laugh: See what I said in my last post: "even though they were selling tickets for all the rounds" Lakers playoff tickets for all the rounds went on sale last Saturday, and they were all sold-out in about 50 minutes. (I think they are refundable) My friend and I were ninth in line, and still, by the time we got up there, all finals, conference finals, round 2, and even round 1 tickets except for game 7 were all sold-out.

So unless I can find someone with connections, or fork over big bucks on e-bay, I have no chance of going to any playoff games this year. (Assuming of course that the Rockets don't take Lakers to a game 7.)

World Cup: one of these days i must!

Oh me too!! I think World Cup 2006 will be in Germany... If I can somehow get rich by then, I'm so there! 👍
 
haha seeing how thats the time we should be studying for boards....not a good time 😉

unless! we finish early and take the couple weeks we would have free to take a quick trip on maybe a cheap euroworldcup package!

but again...highly doubtful... 🙁

maybe ill visit a state that ive never thought about visiting before...texas anyone? :laugh:
 
finnpipette said:
Hi Guys,

I know there are quite a number of lakers and kings fans in our group. They're not $300 playoff tickets, but we can get lakers vs. kings preseason game tickets for 10/19/04. They go on sale April 19, 2004, so if you guys are interested...we can raid the on-line ticketmaster at 10am together and caravan down to fresno.
thanks finnpipette,
My mother's Bday is soon. She loves the lakers but has never seen them live. I grabbed 4 up in the cheap seats($25). I might be in Cleveland, but she and others will be here in my stead if I can't make it.

Oh ya... BUMP. 😀
 
Mr Reddly said:
thanks finnpipette,
My mother's Bday is soon. She loves the lakers but has never seen them live. I grabbed 4 up in the cheap seats($25). I might be in Cleveland, but she and others will be here in my stead if I can't make it.

Oh ya... BUMP. 😀
what is the picture in your signature supposed to represent
 
bewitched1081 said:
what is the picture in your signature supposed to represent
Nothin. (or if you prefer, "whatever you want it to represent!" :laugh: )
It started with me trying to see all the new colors available. Somewhere in some post, there is a line of 'x's. I thought hey, that's neat. I'll be different and do it with the bars. Thus, the bar of colors.... If it represents anything, then it would be "This is your color pallet when you post." You got to admit, it is different. AND, it's easy to see when I post. As in real life, I stand out (Darn red hair 🙁).

As for the heart, I was goofing around with the character sets. I was going to put a music note in there, but it didn't look that neat. The heart just reminds me of zelda. I was going to turn it into a Karma meter, but that seemed too nerdy.

Should I change it?
 
Mr Reddly said:
Nothin. (or if you prefer, "whatever you want it to represent!" :laugh: )
It started with me trying to see all the new colors available. Somewhere in some post, there is a line of 'x's. I thought hey, that's neat. I'll be different and do it with the bars. Thus, the bar of colors.... If it represents anything, then it would be "This is your color pallet when you post." You got to admit, it is different. AND, it's easy to see when I post. As in real life, I stand out (Darn red hair 🙁).

As for the heart, I was goofing around with the character sets. I was going to put a music note in there, but it didn't look that neat. The heart just reminds me of zelda. I was going to turn it into a Karma meter, but that seemed too nerdy.

Should I change it?

no, i like the light colors at the end
 
I interviewed at UCD the week of 4/19/2004. Has anyone interviewed later or on this date heard about their status? 👎 👍

I realize that it takes 6-8 weeks...blah...blah...blah.... 🙄


BEATLES RULE!
 
masalachica said:
I interviewed in mid-March and still haven't heard about my status! Anyone else?

Davis is running behind AGAIN...surprise!!! Anyhow, I just learned from a buddy of mine that they are STILL sending out acceptances. Don't worry....at least from last year, UCSB-premed. can attest to this, the class wasn't filled until June. I hope this helps a bit 🙂

-Harps
 
Doesn't UCD have to give us official notification by May 15th? At least to let us know if we are "On-Hold." I thought that was an AAMC policy.

Still smiling... 🙂
 
Harps said:
Davis is running behind AGAIN...surprise!!! Anyhow, I just learned from a buddy of mine that they are STILL sending out acceptances. Don't worry....at least from last year, UCSB-premed. can attest to this, the class wasn't filled until June. I hope this helps a bit 🙂

-Harps

Actually there are always folks that get admitted in July and even August. I was admitted in July 2000 and a friend was admitted in August after she ALREADY moved to the east coast to start at another school-- she moved back.

Keep the faith!
 
I interviewed in mid-March and found out I got in this past week! Woohoo. Huge weight lifted off my shoulders after years of applying, waiting, and getting rejected. Davis is my dream school - proving that dreams do come true (sorry if that sounds sappy, but it had to be said).

Wow, I have to go find a place to live now! 🙂
 
Congratulations violinrose!!!!! Best of luck to you at UC Davis!!!!
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Violinrose said:
I interviewed in mid-March and found out I got in this past week! Woohoo. Huge weight lifted off my shoulders after years of applying, waiting, and getting rejected. Davis is my dream school - proving that dreams do come true (sorry if that sounds sappy, but it had to be said).

Wow, I have to go find a place to live now! 🙂

Congrats Violinrose!!! I guess I will see you this fall!!! Can't wait to start!!!


Eddie

******UC DAVIS SCHOOL OF MEDICINE*******
*************Class of 2008************
 
Thank you very much Voltron, Eddie, and Coyote. I drove up to Davis and Sacramento today with my Dad to take a look around. It was very quiet because of the holiday weekend. But I am very impressed with the Medical Center. It is one of the bigger ones compared to other campuses I have visited.

Btw, voltron, have you gotten in yet? PM me if you want, I might have some advice to offer. 🙂
 
Any hopes of an acceptance at this point? I am on hold and was told by Terri that the class was full and that email notifications would be going out next week......

Any advice...please post or message me. Thanks everyone!!

Campaigning for a spot at UC Davis!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!