You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
UC Davis Suspense
Started by Ekaltadeta
Get help with your application
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
jlee, sounds like the davis folks have been giving us conflicting information! maybe this is just one more of their tricks to mess with our minds! I guess we just have to hang in there...
Originally posted by genome41
Wow, I feel a bit reassured that I'm not the only one left hanging on the edge as far as my status. They received my application in August, and I am still waiting for that darn secondary....tick...tock...
I'm still waiting for their secondary, too. Do what jlee says... count it as a rejection and forget about it. If the secondary comes, great, but you may be in a great school by then and th it will be their loss... yeah, their loss!! Happy B-day, by the way!!
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
i heard that davis is humanistically oriented. i believe this is true because when i look at the stats for people who got into davis from my undergrad institution they are significantly lower than those who got into ucsf and ucla. additionally, i heard from some ucla med students that they either didnt get a secondary or interview from davis. also, if you read their interview and secondary questions you can tell that they really want to understand what your morals are and how you deal with ethics. so if you dont have ivy league gpa's and mcats i wouldnt worry. but if your friends and family would guffaw at the idea of you being a humanist then i suggest that you dont try to fake it and forget about davis.
humanistically oriented? i've met many davis students and they were all really nice and smart. Unfortunately, you make it sound as if being a caring compassionate person and having nice stats, so-called intelligent, are mutually exclusive. What are we without our humanity? I sure wouldn't want some dingus ivy league doctor who didn't give a rat's ass about his patients. prick
calm down...
Yeah, I think your explanation about Davis was kind of strange, but I see what you're saying.
Just don't forget that to get into ANY California med school, you must have pretty darn good numbers. Sure, not SF or UCLA numbers, but better than a lot of other schools. Its pretty competitive in out state, as you know.
Just don't forget that to get into ANY California med school, you must have pretty darn good numbers. Sure, not SF or UCLA numbers, but better than a lot of other schools. Its pretty competitive in out state, as you know.
Originally posted by bewitched1081
calm down...
my bad. my apologies. i just like davis
are all of you getting the impression from my previous post that i think davis is a bad school cause it looks for things other than numbers? well, i havent really formulated an opinion about davis cause i dont know much about it, but i thought that it was a good thing that they were screening on criteria other than mcat and gpa. i mean, i doubt that every high stat med student will turn out to be a compassionate doctor. so yeah, it's alll good.
bewitched, correct me if I'm wrong, but I think that you're trying to say that the admissions committee uses criteria in addition to gpa and mcat, rather than other than gpa and mcat. Other than gpa and mcat implies that these academic achievement numbers are not important. Davis wants to attract people who can obviously do the work, but just as importantly, become compassionate physicians.
As an upper class UCD student who has interviewed prospective students I will say that good numbers are obviously important-- we want students here to succeed academically and not be overwhelmed by the work. But we are also interested, perhaps more so than other CA medical schools, what else you have to offer other than academic success. What have you been extensively INVOLVED in, and how will this make you a better physician?? As someone mentioned above, it isn't rare for a student to get an interview and admission at Davis and not even be interviewed at UCLA, UCSF, etc. The opposite is true also, of course. Many of my classmates are 'nontraditional' students- older, medicine as a second career, 'more life experience' type students. I think this makes for a diverse, interesting class.
Good luck to all of you.
MadC
Good luck to all of you.
MadC
someone got in late last week... i'll bump the other davis thread for you 🙂
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Originally posted by voltron77
Has anyone heard back recently from Davis post-interview? Please post your information here. Thanks.![]()
Ed Dagang left a message saying that the status of my application has CHANGED. I guess the mystery will be revealed tomorrow. I will keep you guys posted!
Hold on, peeps. I guess decisions are trickling in 🙂
Almost forgot the pertinent info. I interviewed in the first week of January.
-Harps
What the heck does " Application placed on hold" mean? This is the new check on status page.
Originally posted by voltron77
Any advice for someone who just got put on hold (post-interview)? I would appreciate any advice or suggestins. Thanks!
![]()
UCSB would know better, but I believe a lot of the people from the hold are accepted...A LOT. As long as you don't get a rejection from Davis, you're good to go, for now, I think. 🙂
-Harps
HARPS
Ed Dagang calls you and then what happens? I am expecting an email from Davis as to any decision on my application. I interviewed first week of January and I am getting a little antsy. What do you think?
Ed Dagang calls you and then what happens? I am expecting an email from Davis as to any decision on my application. I interviewed first week of January and I am getting a little antsy. What do you think?
Originally posted by Bayareachillin
HARPS
Ed Dagang calls you and then what happens? I am expecting an email from Davis as to any decision on my application. I interviewed first week of January and I am getting a little antsy. What do you think?
I will call him back in the morning. Don't worry about the decision because Davis has 5 committees that meet separately and are not sychronized. Therefore, your committee may not have met....just pointing out that just because you haven't gotten a decision means thing..
Chill out Bayareachillin ....j/k. I felt like typing that 😉
-Harps
Originally posted by Bayareachillin
What the heck does " Application placed on hold" mean? This is the new check on status page.
Was this hold post-interview? If it was, you're still good to go. I was also held after I interviewed in December and didn't here for awhile. The good news is is that just to hold you means that you're still in the running and have a good shot at an acceptance.
If you really want to go (and why wouldn't you want to? 😉 ) I'd write a LOI just to let them know how you feel. It can speed up the process for some people, especially if they are under the impression that you are going to go elsewhere.
Good luck! Back to Biochem! Arrgh...
Thanks for the help UCSB!
I am post-interview hold. I am kinda new to this and am not sure about LOI. I have been just waiting and keeping my fingers crossed for the word.
I am post-interview hold. I am kinda new to this and am not sure about LOI. I have been just waiting and keeping my fingers crossed for the word.
Don't feel alone bayareachillin,
I got an email yesterday saying I was on hold as well. This is after I interviewed on Jan. 29th. I'm writing a LOI tommorow because Davis blew me away when I was there. Hopefully it actually gets read! I've been lurking on these boards for the last few days and finally decided to post. Good luck to everyone with their UC wishlist!
Aseem
I got an email yesterday saying I was on hold as well. This is after I interviewed on Jan. 29th. I'm writing a LOI tommorow because Davis blew me away when I was there. Hopefully it actually gets read! I've been lurking on these boards for the last few days and finally decided to post. Good luck to everyone with their UC wishlist!
Aseem
Hey Reddly:
That's a little long to not have heard anything. Perhaps a "polite" email to Terri Hall could get you some answers. I'd think you would have heard something by now, even if it was a waitlist or rejection.
I admire you, cause I couldn't have waited that long...😉
Good luck!
That's a little long to not have heard anything. Perhaps a "polite" email to Terri Hall could get you some answers. I'd think you would have heard something by now, even if it was a waitlist or rejection.
I admire you, cause I couldn't have waited that long...😉
Good luck!
I talke to Terri Hall about post-interview "hold status" and she told me that the committee is still undecided on accepting, rejecting or alternate list. She told me that they will be interviewing into April and put people on the "hold status" as they are waiting to evaluate future interviwees. This kind of sucks but I can't do anything but keep waiting. Any words of advice are greatly appreciated.
Originally posted by Bayareachillin
I talke to Terri Hall about post-interview "hold status" and she told me that the committee is still undecided on accepting, rejecting or alternate list. She told me that they will be interviewing into April and put people on the "hold status" as they are waiting to evaluate future interviwees. This kind of sucks but I can't do anything but keep waiting. Any words of advice are greatly appreciated.
To echo what UCSB said, let them know if Davis is your top choice. I was very clear about my intentions to come to Davis in the interview and I think that helped. They seem big on it... both the students at lunch and my interviewer brought that up. Good luck 🙂
Originally posted by Mr Reddly
Ya right... I've seen your old posts from last year. 😛 Besides, what choice do I have?
The good news is that it means I'll spend less time on the waitlist once they actually put me on it 🙂
I spoke with Terri just over 3 weeks ago and am doing my best not to pester (second time I've called her). She said it still had not been looked at. I'll give it a few more days then call again. As for Terri, I have to say I think she is the nicest admin person I've talked with thus far.
![]()
I did wait for a long time, but I was waiting post-hold, not post interview. I couldn't have done that! But I guess you've done all you can, and now its just a waiting game. Good luck to you!
Whoohoo! One more final to go...
Does anyone know if Davis is done interviewing? Terri told me that I was on hold and that they would get back to me in 4-6 weeks; this was a month ago. If they are done interviewing and I didn't get in then I'm planning on writing a LOI to another school. Davis is my first choice, but if I'm not going to get a chance to interview then I'm just going to have to settle on trying to get off the waitlist elsewhere :-/
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I phoned Davis a few weeks ago to check on my status and they told me I was selected for an interview, but they were behind in their scheduling. The lady I talked to said they would be interviewing into May and they would get back to me to schedule my interview. I haven't heard anything yet. Does anyone know how far in advance Davis schedules an interview?
When I intereviewed I was able to interview almost immediately. In fact, the first two days offered were too soon for me to be able to make it to Davis. Hopefully, this is still the case. However, the semi-rolling admissions policy should ease your anxiety as the actual interview date means less than it does at most med schools.
they fill up pretty fast. around oct you can get an interview date anywhere from nov-may. but later on it gets harder to get a date. i had to resched mine and it was moved 4 months back! maybe they were leaving spots open for other people though.
Originally posted by Redeemed
I phoned Davis a few weeks ago to check on my status and they told me I was selected for an interview, but they were behind in their scheduling. The lady I talked to said they would be interviewing into May and they would get back to me to schedule my interview. I haven't heard anything yet. Does anyone know how far in advance Davis schedules an interview?
The same thing happened to me when I called them, and I had to wait a week before I got the interview invitation via email. My interview date was in mid-March. Hope that helps.
Originally posted by spaz
omg! i just received an interview invite (via email) today. i was about to give up on davis, too.
Congrats! Now I'll just continually check my e-mail for the next week hoping to get my invite. Just called Terri and she said that everyone would know within 2 weeks, probably 1.
It has been nearly 6 weeks since my interview at UC Davis, and I really liked the school... but I haven't heard anything back yet. Anyone think it'd be a good idea to write a letter of interest to them? Or do they not pay too much attention to such things?
if you dont think you did a good job expressing your interest in the school at the interview or are just paranoid, send them a letter
Originally posted by twizzlers
It has been nearly 6 weeks since my interview at UC Davis, and I really liked the school... but I haven't heard anything back yet. Anyone think it'd be a good idea to write a letter of interest to them? Or do they not pay too much attention to such things?
I would definitely write the letter. They seem big on people who express their interest in coming. I wouldn't be too worried yet. They are VERY slow at notifying post interview. If you look at the other Davis thread you'll see that we were waiting for like 2-4 months to hear back from them. I'd give them a call if you haven't heard in the next couple of weeks. Good luck and hope to see you in the fall.
OMG!!! So I was just about to mail my letter of interest to UC Davis, but I decided to call Terri at the admissions office just to see what was up with my app. And she told me I had just been accepted!!
And this is my FIRST acceptance!!! 😀 😀 😀 I'm so happy! I'm actually going to go to medical school!
And this is my FIRST acceptance!!! 😀 😀 😀 I'm so happy! I'm actually going to go to medical school!

Originally posted by twizzlers
OMG!!! So I was just about to mail my letter of interest to UC Davis, but I decided to call Terri at the admissions office just to see what was up with my app. And she told me I had just been accepted!!
And this is my FIRST acceptance!!! 😀 😀 😀 I'm so happy! I'm actually going to go to medical school!![]()
congratulations!!

Originally posted by twizzlers
OMG!!! So I was just about to mail my letter of interest to UC Davis, but I decided to call Terri at the admissions office just to see what was up with my app. And she told me I had just been accepted!!
And this is my FIRST acceptance!!! 😀 😀 😀 I'm so happy! I'm actually going to go to medical school!![]()
and another great applicant joins the group....congrats!😎
Originally posted by twizzlers
OMG!!! So I was just about to mail my letter of interest to UC Davis, but I decided to call Terri at the admissions office just to see what was up with my app. And she told me I had just been accepted!!
And this is my FIRST acceptance!!! 😀 😀 😀 I'm so happy! I'm actually going to go to medical school!![]()
Congrats twizzlers! I found out by surprise from Terri over the phone too and it was my first acceptance. Isn't a great how a phone call can change you life? 🙂
See you in the fall.

Thanks guys. 🙂 I hope to meet some of you at second-look weekend. (If I can get an invite before Friday!)
It is! 😀 And just this weekend I was starting to make plans on what I would do if I didn't get into med school and when I could start reapplying and all that. Today has to be one of the best days of my life. 🙂
Isn't a great how a phone call can change you life?
It is! 😀 And just this weekend I was starting to make plans on what I would do if I didn't get into med school and when I could start reapplying and all that. Today has to be one of the best days of my life. 🙂
Originally posted by twizzlers
It has been nearly 6 weeks since my interview at UC Davis, and I really liked the school... but I haven't heard anything back yet. Anyone think it'd be a good idea to write a letter of interest to them? Or do they not pay too much attention to such things?
Complaining about 6 wks...try 4+ months suspense.
proph...
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Originally posted by twizzlers
OMG!!! So I was just about to mail my letter of interest to UC Davis, but I decided to call Terri at the admissions office just to see what was up with my app. And she told me I had just been accepted!!
And this is my FIRST acceptance!!! 😀 😀 😀 I'm so happy! I'm actually going to go to medical school!![]()

Congrats Twizzlers!! When did you interview? I'm still waiting to hear back post-interview (it has been about 3 weeks for me).
Originally posted by mikeyboy
Congrats! Now I'll just continually check my e-mail for the next week hoping to get my invite. Just called Terri and she said that everyone would know within 2 weeks, probably 1.
Good to know that in two weeks it will all be over and I can stop wondering whatever happened to my application to UC Davis. . .
They must be one of the slowest schools in the country!! Are there any other schools still scheduling interviews besides Davis?!#!?
Congrats to all who have been accepted. Besides being incredibly slow with the application process I've heard nothing but wonderful things about UC Davis.
Originally posted by masalachica
Congrats Twizzlers!! When did you interview? I'm still waiting to hear back post-interview (it has been about 3 weeks for me).
My interview was about six weeks ago. But I found out over the phone right after a decision had been made on my file, so if you wait for the actual packet to arrive telling you you've been been accepted, it might take longer to find out. Good luck! 🙂
Similar threads
- Replies
- 1
- Views
- 1K
- Replies
- 7
- Views
- 1K
- Replies
- 6
- Views
- 1K
- Replies
- 2
- Views
- 872
