-
CycleTrack and SDN are teaming up to make medical school admissions more transparent and accessible! Read the announcement to learn how we’re supporting the future of CycleTrack’s free application-tracking tools .
You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
Uc davis vet med school
Started by ashilb
Get help with your application
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
How hard is it to get into UC Davis Vet School?
I am guessing that with your lack of initiative to do a simple google search (or even a search on this forum), it is going to be pretty hard. Searching for info on things you don't know is a really really important skill in vet med, so if you're serious about becoming a vet or surviving vet school, I'd suggest you start working on that.
To get you started, go to google, type in "uc davis vet school admissions statistics" and the first hit will give you a ton of info.
Or, if you want first-hand accounts on the process, search for UC Davis on this forum and skim through the posts. Every year, a thread is started for UC Davis applicants to talk about the application process as well as outcome. Those would be good ones to look at.
By all means, post if you have questions you really can't seem to find an answer to elsewhere, but do your hw first.
Here, Let me Google That For You.....😎 (click on link)
OR
better yet:
UC Davis Vet Med Admissions Statistics
...perhaps lack of sleep made this really funny that this was one of the links that I clicked on 2nd....took me a second to put two and two together.
OR
better yet:
UC Davis Vet Med Admissions Statistics
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Thanks Minnerbelle. I was lining up a snarky reply, but you stated what needed to be said!
The only thing I would add is that a question like the OP's requires a frame of reference. Compared to what? For whom?
The only thing I would add is that a question like the OP's requires a frame of reference. Compared to what? For whom?
Call them and ask that exact question.![]()
While you're at it, call up Harvard and see how hard it is to get in there. I mean, there are 28 schools in the US and how many applicants and how many spaces? It's pretty hard. ANYWHERE.
How hard is it to get into UC Davis Vet School?
Over 25% of California applicants got offered a seat the last few years. Hope that helps. 😉
I find this cheerful optimism disconcerting.Over 25% of California applicants got offered a seat the last few years. Hope that helps. 😉
I will translate into the pessimist's writing style.
Less than 30% of CA applicants got offered a seat the last few years, and less than 1% of OOS applicants got offered a seat the last few years.
Sorry if that is discouraging.
note: I made up the 1% number, but it is probably pretty close. (b/c I am too lazy to check).
.
Last edited:
Word. Plus it's really fun to do this type of research, like a treasure hunt involving your life's ambition! And really, would you want to base your decision of applying/doing well on what someone told you on SDN? or would you want to be confident that the info is accurate because YOU found it yourself? Proactiveness rocks!OP,
As you may have notice, it is generally frowned upon to come on SDN and ask questions without having done your research. SDN gets a lot of people asking this exact question all the time!
There is a search function that you can try and use to find info about past applicants or the school itself. I personally find it hard to navigate SDN's search thing, so I use google.
If you go to the UC Davis Vet School website there is a lot of great information available for prospective students including past admitted student statistics and a prospective student guide. I really encourage you to check out the website.
Also, the AAVMC website is another great place to find info about applying to veterinary school. It has all the requirements for all the vet schools.
I also really like to read some of the blogs written by actual vet students. There are a ton of great blogs that discuss applying and preparing. Also, they talk about their experiences as a vet student.
In short, getting into veterinary school is a challenging process. Vet schools require a lot of science prerequisites including: general bio, general chem, organic chem, physics, biochem, genetics, physiology, etc. Additionally, you should obtain experience working with a variety of animals (small, large, exotic, etc). Competitive applicants usually have:
- A high GPA (I'd say about a 3.4)
- High GRE scores (above 70th percentile)
- Veterinary experience
- Animal experience
- Research experience
- Extracurricular activities including leadership roles
If you sense some tension from the other SDNers on here it is most likely because being a competitive applicant takes a lot of work and you have to be willing to go out there and find information for yourself. Think of getting info about applying as practice for when you start preparing for vet school.
Goodluck!
How hard is it to get into UC Davis Vet School?
It's harder than running the mile, but easier than touching your nose to your elbow.
I guess that precludes my dogs, they are sprinters and wouldn't last a mile, but they easily touch their noses to their elbows.It's harder than running the mile, but easier than touching your nose to your elbow.
I'm backwards, as usual. I'm only 4 inches from touching my nose to my elbow, but at least .8 miles from running a mile. I'm making better progress on the latter than the former.It's harder than running the mile, but easier than touching your nose to your elbow.
- UCD procrastinator c/o 2015
I find this cheerful optimism disconcerting.
I will translate into the pessimist's writing style.
Less than 30% of CA applicants got offered a seat the last few years, and less than 1% of OOS applicants got offered a seat the last few years.
Sorry if that is discouraging.
note: I made up the 1% number, but it is probably pretty close. (b/c I am too lazy to check).
I think such stats are pretty encouraging for in state hopefuls such as myself. Not sure why you would deem it disconcerting, especially relative to the chances I have at most other programs.

Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I'm backwards, as usual. I'm only 4 inches from touching my nose to my elbow, but at least .8 miles from running a mile. I'm making better progress on the latter than the former.
- UCD procrastinator c/o 2015
I'm just shy an inch from touching my nose to my elbow, and it is killing me that I'm so close. I've hurt my shoulders from trying so hard. If I had a tall white person nose, or if I got skinny enough that my cheeks went gaunt, or if my forearms underwent denervation atrophy, I'd totally be there. This is very tempting.
I think I might be able to run 1/2 a mile if I were being chased by a rapist, but a mile is really pushing my limits. Getting into vet school is def much easier than running a mile. Perhaps Davis isn't just any old vet school.

I can't quite touch my nose to my elbow, and I certainly can't run a mile. It all makes sense now. That must be why I didn't get into Davis.
I can't quite touch my nose to my elbow, and I certainly can't run a mile. It all makes sense now. That must be why I didn't get into Davis.
It all makes sense now. If only they told us how simple the admissions criteria actually is. I can run 8 miles but can't touch my nose to my elbow. That must be why I got in!
😛
It all makes sense now. If only they told us how simple the admissions criteria actually is. I can run 8 miles but can't touch my nose to my elbow. That must be why I got in!
😛
Crap. Maybe I shouldn't cancel my gym membership and actually GO once in a blue moon.
http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/lanow/2011/11/uc-davis-chancellor-pepper-spraying-task-force.html
Wow.... Never thought I would be less likely to be assaulted by cops in Philly than Davis....
LA times likes to report any police violence outside of LA by the way. Helps to make people think that the LA police are typical. I thought one LA cop was going to kick the sh&t out of me for walking up to him and ask him to help with a violent crazy person. The nerve of me looking to the police to do their job. Oops this somehow turned into a rant.
Sorry for the hijack. Resume normal pre-vet activities.
Wow.... Never thought I would be less likely to be assaulted by cops in Philly than Davis....
LA times likes to report any police violence outside of LA by the way. Helps to make people think that the LA police are typical. I thought one LA cop was going to kick the sh&t out of me for walking up to him and ask him to help with a violent crazy person. The nerve of me looking to the police to do their job. Oops this somehow turned into a rant.
Sorry for the hijack. Resume normal pre-vet activities.
just spent ten minutes trying to touch my nose to my elbow...
I can't run a mile either. I die a painful, breath-less death about .01 miles in.
Probably a good thing I never applied to Davis.
I can't run a mile either. I die a painful, breath-less death about .01 miles in.
Probably a good thing I never applied to Davis.
Good thing you didn't come to Penn. You might not have made it walking up to the 3rd floor anatomy lab everyday 1st year?just spent ten minutes trying to touch my nose to my elbow...
I can't run a mile either. I die a painful, breath-less death about .01 miles in.
Probably a good thing I never applied to Davis.
Good thing you didn't come to Penn. You might not have made it walking up to the 3rd floor anatomy lab everyday 1st year?
walking is good. stairs are fine. Knees can't handle running. As soon as I start limping (about 5 strides in) I forget to breathe properly and it just goes downhill from there