UC Davis vs UCSF vs Stanford

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

boweri

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does anyone have any info reguarding pros and cons of these IM programs eg.. lifestyle vs malignant work load, diversity in pt population, friendly vs competative atmosphere, ability to land competative fellowships, and does anyone know how many oncall/ward months each school requires for their pgy2 and 3 years. Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

boweri said:
Does anyone have any info reguarding pros and cons of these IM programs eg.. lifestyle vs malignant work load, diversity in pt population, friendly vs competative atmosphere, ability to land competative fellowships, and does anyone know how many oncall/ward months each school requires for their pgy2 and 3 years. Thanks

I'm at Stanford and think I'm very lucky to be here. It blends academic rigor on par with UCSF with a relaxed and humane environment.

First year is hard with 8-9 call months: 5 wards (VA, Stanford and Santa Clara Valley in a 2/2/1 comb0), one VA ICU month, once CCU month and then 1-2 months assigned within the subset of Hematology, Oncology, Hepatology and ER.

Second year is 5-6 call months with 2 wards, CCU, Stanford ICU and another month chosen bewteen Hematology, Oncology, Hepatology, Bone Marrow Transplant and ER.

Third year is 4-5 call months with generally 2 wards and then a mixture of the other inpatient rotations, usually weighted toward your requests.

As far as competitive fellowships, those who applied to cardiology last year matched at Stanford(2), Duke (2) and MGH. GI matches included Beth Israel (Harvard), UCLA, Stanford and LSU. Onc matches were Stanford and UCSF (I forget how many).

I'm tired but if you have any other questions send a PM or repost.

Last edited:
UCSF residents kindly nickname their main hospital (Moffit) the "Death Star" so it might be rather on the malignant side.

UC Davis is never going to compete w/ the other 2 programs in terms of attracting the best people because it's in Sacramento. But it's almost a universally well-regarded program. They have a great program director (Mark Henderson), and you'll certainly get great training there. And people there are nice from what i hear. I ranked it pretty high last year (but obviously I'm not there).

Anyway, I think Sacramento is quite a cosmopolitan city compared to where I ended up...

Members don't see this ad :)
mediocre said:
UCSF residents kindly nickname their main hospital (Moffit) the "Death Star" so it might be rather on the malignant side.

UC Davis is never going to compete w/ the other 2 programs in terms of attracting the best people because it's in Sacramento. But it's almost a universally well-regarded program. They have a great program director (Mark Henderson), and you'll certainly get great training there. And people there are nice from what i hear. I ranked it pretty high last year (but obviously I'm not there).

Anyway, I think Sacramento is quite a cosmopolitan city compared to where I ended up...

sacramento isn't a bad city... unless you compare it to san francisco and palo alto. i think this is what he meant. compared to the majority of cities around the nation, sacramento is nice. personally, i think it gets too hot up there. then again, i think palo alto gets too hot too. i'm a fog kinda guy.

Certainly apply and interview if you are invited at UC Davis. Last year I overheard a lot of people on the interview trail remarking how much they liked the program, the people, the PD, etc. but didn't rank it highly because it's in Sacramento. Fair enough... but give yourself some time to check out Sac if you interview there, I think you will find that there are many nice places to live near UCDMC, it is much less expensive to live than the bay area, and it's a great location (an hour to SF/bay area and <2 hrs to Tahoe ski resorts). True, it does NOT have a fantastic night life.

The patient population at UCDMC is also remarkably diverse. Few people know that Sacramento is one of the most ethnically diverse cities in the country, with seven primary languages spoken by >2% of the population.

Oh, UCSF and Stanford are good too. But I didn't graduate from either of those medical schools so I'm not as qualified to talk about them.