UC Davis!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Thanks everybody. Nyanko and Greenie, don't give up yet - it looks like they aren't following the Monday=acceptance, Tuesday=rejection pattern this year.

Members don't see this ad.

I got my acceptance letter from Davis yesterday at 2:51 p.m.!!!! I'm going to Davis finally woot woot!! :hardy:

Hello people!

This is my first post here, but I figure it's better late in the game than never.

I just got my acceptance to Davis a few hours ago!!! Finally, for the first time in many years I'll be able to sleep with peace of mind. If any of you are still waiting try to stay strong-- it's probably right around the corner! I was going crazy up until this afternoon.

I look forward to seeing all of you in September. If anyone is new to California or Northern California, let me know, I grew up here.

Members don't see this ad :)
Ugh this has to be classified as some sort of torture. I just become more and more pessimistic as the days go on and I just want it to end! I don't even care anymore if I get in, just be over!

Hey Nyanko and greenie, I'm an OOS'er who hasn't heard anything either. This waiting is going to drive me crazy. :scared:

Congrats to everyone who got in! I've been lurking for a while, and finally decided to set up an account. :)

Congrats ShelterGirl :hardy::hardy::hardy::hardy: and everyone else who got accepted and will get accepted (fingers crossed) this year!!

Hey Nyanko and greenie, I'm an OOS'er who hasn't heard anything either. This waiting is going to drive me crazy. :scared:

Congrats to everyone who got in! I've been lurking for a while, and finally decided to set up an account. :)

Welcome to our little corner of (hopefully temporary) insanity :)

Congrats, Sheltergirl!!! Hang in there nyanko and all the folks who haven't heard yet. It sucks that they do it like this. But the guy did tell me that they would be sending out all kinds of letters throughout this week. And they've already sent out some acceptances today which is different from last year, so don't abandon hope yet! Fingers crossed for you guys!!!

Yeah, definitely going - $10k less per year and only being 100 vs. 1800 miles away from my SO makes a huge difference.

Any suggestions on where to fill the biology 1B requirement? I'm looking at some options but nobody has published their summer schedule yet. Anyone take it online?

EDIT: Found it at UC Berkeley during their summer session. Phew!

Congratulations ShelterGirl ! :clap:As a fellow engineer I was rooting for you!

Nyanko- I totally agree with you. watching this thread and waiting is the most horrible torture :( I have definitely gotten to the "not caring anymore" point. I just wish I knew how the order of the emails was decided! It's not OOS/IS, not by interview date, I doubt alphabetical (my last name begins w. G)...

Oh well, hopefully this won't last too much longer :scared:

Nyanko- I totally agree with you. watching this thread and waiting is the most horrible torture :( I have definitely gotten to the "not caring anymore" point. I just wish I knew how the order of the emails was decided! It's not OOS/IS, not by interview date, I doubt alphabetical (my last name begins w. G)...

Oh well, hopefully this won't last too much longer :scared:

It is horrible tortue. I'm so sorry!! Boo on schools doing this to us! If it helps any, you've all got a big team of folks here pulling for you!! :luck::luck::luck::luck:

My friend just got in, she is OOS and her last name starts with a W she interviewed beginning of March. There doesn't seem to be a pattern good luck to all.

So- For those still enduring the torture Davis is putting us through :bullcrap::

I just called Davis and the guy said that it is "random" (who gets the email and whether it is for an acceptance/rejection) and everyone should find out by tomorrow :eek:

(Pretty soon, I think this might happen to me: :boom:)

Members don't see this ad :)
So- For those still enduring the torture Davis is putting us through :bullcrap::

I just called Davis and the guy said that it is "random" (who gets the email and whether it is for an acceptance/rejection) and everyone should find out by tomorrow :eek:

(Pretty soon, I think this might happen to me: :boom:)

Thanks so much for the info greenie, I'm dying here! *twiddles thumbs down to the bone*

Good luck!

That's pretty much what I've been told too. This is just so awful, blech!!

I'm at work right now and just have my email open in a tab and come back to the office to obsess every hour or so. Look what these people have reduced me to!!

So, if it's random w/ both acceptance and rejection why has no one posted that they didn't get in....though I understand they may not want to broadcast that......

So, if it's random w/ both acceptance and rejection why has no one posted that they didn't get in....though I understand they may not want to broadcast that......

Yeah....and does anyone know if they're sending out alternate letters as well? :confused:

Obviously it's because we SDNers are just so awesome that there won't be many rejections at all! :cool:

It appears after reading this forum that the VMCAS ID is the last 5 digits of your application ID.

However, my application hard copy is still back in Hanover, NH. Anyone know how to access the 5 digit ID without calling or emailing VMCAS or the vet school (vmcas never answers in the "off season")

See you all in the fall!:)

I entered my full VMCAS application # as my ID, not the last 5.

Did you save your app as a PDF? Another way of getting the ID#: all of those emails you got from VMCAS confirming your eLORs (they say "electronic letter of recommendation has been received") have your VMCAS ID# in them, next to your name.

Now they are saying that they'll be going out until early next week. I can't handle this, I'm going to go insane!

What!?! Did they say why on earth that is??

Anyone else here WICHE? If so, what's your status (no word, acceptance, alternate..) I'm hoping there's WICHE backlog... Cause i'm going bananas now :banana:

well I got my rejection email. I'm only slightly confused considering that there were several people who got accepted at davis and rejected at CSU (I'm accepted at CSU), but I got rejected...

congrats to everyone who got in :luck:

I'm sorry greenie and bamboovet... :( they don't know what they're missing! and greenie - perhaps weird about Colorado/Davis, but CSU! Yikes! What an awesome school! Congrats!

Awwww...guys I'm sorry! It's their loss!

:(:(:(

I'm so sorry nyanko, greenie, bamboovet!! Pressmom is right, it's their loss!

And greenie, that seems to be the case all over. It's amazing how many people get rejected from one school but into another while other people get accepted by that first school and rejected by the second. It just really seems to highlight how all of these schools must be looking for slightly different things. It makes it really hard for us to figure out where to apply, which stinks. But on the good side, that means that if one applies to enough schools, chances are that some school is going to like what you're selling!

Good luck with the file reviews, guys. You'll rock them next year!!!

Ok so I just recently found this site. I thought I'd let you guys know that I got my rejection letter from Davis Yesterday (Wed), but it said I had been placed on the alternate list. When I called to find out where I was they told me that they over accepted by 11 people and that they also had an alternate list of 20 people. So for anyone on the alternate list to get in more than 11 people have to reject their acceptance. Do you know of any people who have been accepted by Davis but think they might go to a different school, it might give me some hope. Good luck to everyone still waiting, and congrats to everyone who got in.

Thank you guys for your kind words, hopefully one of the schools I'm an alternate for will pan out. :luck:

Congrats to everyone who got in!

I am 98% sure I will be declining my acceptance, hope that opens up one seat for someone!

Sorry about the rejections, nyanko, greenie, and others. Greenie, hey - CSU! Think of how many people (yours truly included) didn't make it in there. What VA Girl said is very true about different schools having different processes. Maddening, but true.

For anyone applying next year, be sure to schedule your file review. I will tell you straight off that Yasmin is not super "rah-rah, just do this and you're a shoo-in", but she does give solid advice that helped me to make it in the 2nd time around.

*bump*

Who is excited about Cali? Woot woot! Yay Davis! (I just officially accepted my position in the class, so I'm all psyched now. Yay!!)

:D:D:D:D:D

And one of the vets I work with keeps joking with me and asking if I'm waxing my surf board because that's the most important part about moving to Cali. He's funny. Yay Cali!!:p

So are you going to rename yourself CA girl? Or are you going to stay true to your roots? ;)

So are you going to rename yourself CA girl? Or are you going to stay true to your roots? ;)

Oh, as excited as I am to be moving to CA, I'm pretty sure I've got the east-coast in my blood. I guess we'll see. But I think I'll likely still be a "VAgirl" in my heart for some time. :)

(On a funny side note, whenever I go to enter Davis into Google maps, I automatically type "Davis VA" rather than "Davis CA." Interestingly enough, there actually is some sort of a Davis VA.)

Ug! I'm sorry too nyanko, greenie, bamboovet... :cry:

I wanted to let you guys know that last year sometime, I had saved onto my computer a copy of the UC-Davis 2005-2006 Curriculum Handbook, which I apparently dug up while trolling around. It has lots of detailed, detailed info about course offerings, tracking, etc! I couldn't find a more updated copy- everything about the curriculum online seems to be password protected. If anyone would like a copy of this (it's a super big PDF, about 70 pages) let me know, and I'll send it along! I could also post it on this site if people are interested.

Hi Hoodle,
My friend got into UC Davis and she is trying to decide whether she should pass up her in state school to go there If I pm my email to you would you send me the PDF?

I know that several people are going to this school over their in state school what makes it worth it?

Additionally I heard that there is less hands on surgery in this program... that a lot of the experience is actually virtually simulated on computers... is this true?

I know that several people are going to this school over their in state school what makes it worth it?

Additionally I heard that there is less hands on surgery in this program... that a lot of the experience is actually virtually simulated on computers... is this true?

I don't think this is true. They don't do terminal surgeries (except in a large animal elective course, perhaps), but they do the usual run of spays and neuters on shelter animals. I'm not sure about any virtual surgical experience available.

Hi PouchesRock - I could certainly send it to you, but with a little bit of computer fiddling i managed to split the file into smaller bits and post it on SDN! here's the thread. http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=508243
Let me know that doesn't work for her, and remind her that the stuff there is actually from 2005.

In terms of why Davis: I don't want to be too much of a shameless advertiser, but here's what attracts me:
1) diversity of strengths. renowned as experts in basic small and large animal medicine, as well as immense strength in wildlife and zoo stuff, pathology, and specialties. Really Davis has no "weak" programs, even in more obscure specialties like neurology, dentistry, etc. The rep is simply very very strong.
2) caseload. Davis is the main vet school for the densely populated, agriculture-rich, and money-rich (showhorses) california/southwest US.
3) research - for me this is huge, as it's more what I want to do, but I think that others are just as interested in the resources available at a full-fledged research institution.
4) quality of life - supposed to be a very pleasant place to live!
5) resources - because the school is so well established and highly regarded, there are a lot of innovative programs - whether the new tablet program or all of the money that funds students' international vet-related travel over the summer.

I think one could make an equally long list about Davis' weaknesses, but for me, at least, these are the strengths that attracted me.

And one of the vets I work with keeps joking with me and asking if I'm waxing my surf board because that's the most important part about moving to Cali. He's funny. Yay Cali!!:p

No surfing here unless you're talking about the streets of Davis during winter! Then it's like riding a bicycle through a lake, which I not so conveniently found out one day when riding under an overpass on campus on the way to the VMTH after a brutal rainstorm. I had to call my boyfriend to bring me new socks. :rolleyes:

I'm so excited for everyone moving out here! I may be taking a research position in the lab of one of my interviewers (ironically) and she said that she'll go over my app again with me too and give me feedback. I'm pretty excited about that too. :)