UC Irvine Alternate List

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Ratgirl_2001

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,
I just received notification from UC Irvine that I will be reviewed for a place on the alternate list in June. Since I really wanted to go here, I was extremely disappointed that I didn't get an outright acceptance. BUT.... wasn't surprised as I had a luke-warm rapport with my faculty interviewer. Does any one have any information on the probability of getting in off the alternate list at Irvine??? Any info would be appreciated!!!Good Luck !

Members don't see this ad.

I just called UCI and asked when they were expecting to send out Alternate letters. The person in admissions said "they are almost done with the list" and that letters should be going out soon. I asked if it would be "within the next week" and she said "yes, probably." Let's all keep our fingers crossed, and good luck to all!

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey Becky,

How ironic. I called today too and they said the same thing. They said to try to call next week. Anyways, I checked my mailbox and low and behold, I got the UCI alternate list letter! They don't let you know what your rank is or anything. I'll transcribe the first paragraph:

"You have been selected as an alterante for the Fall 2001 first year entering class at the UCI College of Medicine. Classes begin September 4, 2001, with registration and orientation scheduled for August 29, 30, 31, 2001. You may be accepted for matriculation at any time from now until September 4, 2001, or you may not be selected for admission because there is a lack of available positions in the class."

You then have to return/fax an enclosed form to accept your alternate list position! The wait is killing me but this the school for me. :rolleyes:

wyldstyle2000

When did you guys interview?

Hi wyldstyl 2000,

Funny thing - I got home last night and the same letter was in my mailbox! What do you think it means? Are they seeing who is interested before telling us our actual rank? (I interviewed in mid-January and heard about the hold designation in March.) Again, good luck to all!

Yep, that's what I was thinking. Though, I have no idea Becky if they will tell us our rank. It seems most schools will not. Anyways, I interviewed in December and had been on hold since March too!!! I took that alternate list confirmation form and faxed it AND mailed it right when I got it. I hope they construct that alternate list soon. I heard that they purposely put everyone on hold so they can interview later applicants. If that's the case, they may end up accepting less people off the alternate list IMHO because many of them may have come off hold already!!! That's just my opinion.. ARGHHH :mad:

I have heard that UCI ends up taking a lot of people off the alternate list. I have a friend that will be dropping his acceptance there next week. Good luck.

Who did you hear that from? I heard from a MS1 that UCI would have more people on the hold list this year. That's how I made my assumption. Oh well...

Originally posted by JohnJacobJingleheimerS:
•I have heard that UCI ends up taking a lot of people off the alternate list. I have a friend that will be dropping his acceptance there next week. Good luck.•

The wait list is not broken into priority groups. Those on the alternate list might want to submit useful supplementary materials such as grades and new information about their activities and academics. UCI welcomes calls from wait-listed students.
Greatest movement occurs as letters are mailed to students holding multiple acceptances; decide or be dropped. No deposit is required to hold a place in the class [editorial: that encourages acceptees with multiple offers to hold their places until forced to make a decision, causing anguished fingernail chewing for those who truly want to attend Irvine, or who have no acceptances anywhere].

Accepted applicants average 3.68 in overall GPA.

Whoa..thanks. By they way, how do you know all this stuff Gower? Just curious. Thanks.

wyldstyle2000

Hello,

I just finished my first year at UCI. As far as I know, the school does not take many people off the wait list, usually just a few. When the spot becomes available, all possible candidates are reviewed again, so there is no real "wait list ranking".

I wish you guys luck and hope to see you next year.

I would like to clear up the alternate list situation at UCI. Either you haven't been accepted elsewhere or are unaware that the list is ranked as "top half and bottom half".
The classes are full and there are a few left on the alternate list. I have heard that about 10 to 14 may get in off the alternate list. If you are not on the alternate list by now, it is over for all at UCI It is up to how many students give up their spots at other universities, so the UCI hanger ons can move on.

Good luck to all, I personally would rather accept most other Universities anyway.
:cool:

I know of one person who is holding an acceptance he plans to definitely drop soon, so there will be one place for someone! I know, I think it's bad that he hasn't sent it in yet so others can get on with their lives and get some good news, but he's having a hard time letting it go (although he is definitely going to go to another UC school). Good luck all!

Members don't see this ad :)
He cannot hold onto the acceptance for more than 2 weeks. Not allowed to hold onto 2 acceptances. If found out he may not get into the other UC school. For his own good tell him to drop UCI as it is the lowest ranked UC school. UCLA, UCD, UCSD are way ahead. :confused:

Hey guys,

If you are on the alternate list, you might want to call the admissions office to see if you are on the "bottom half" or "top half" of the alternate list. My impression is if you are on the bottom half, you have virtually no chance of getting in. :( :( :(

I have spoken many people at UCI.
A few years ago the whole list got in.
Averaqe is about 12 to 14 students.
Top half and bottom half means nothing. Many on the alternate list do not even want to go to UCI but are just holding on "in case "..
Bottom half could mean you are top of bottom half. Does anyone know how many on the alternate list ??? If not how does anyone know how many come off the list. This can twist minds, especially over a school like UCI. Either all here are not accepted anywhere or living a dream.
Wildstyle, which half are you in ? Also, what gives you the impression that those in the bottom half will not get in ? Were you told this by admissions ?
I am heading to East coast quality schools.
John Hopkins.
:)

I'm in the bottom half though I am already accepted elsewhere. Financially, UCI is much affordable than the school I'm accepted at too. Anyways, JH (John Hopkins)? Sweet, a difficult school to get into definitely. I had a friend who was rejected by some decent/good schools only to be accepted by JH in the end. Such an awesome person in every respect, she didn't even break a 30 on the MCAT and still was accepted.

Anyways, in terms of UCI, the only information we could use to deduce the alternate list is last years stats:

Acceptance rate 5.8%
In-state/Out-of-state acceptance rate 6.3% / 0.6%
Number of applicants: 3,761
Applicants interviewed: 418
Number accepted: 218
Number enrolled: 92
Average undergraduate GPA: 3.62

Thus, at most I guess you can say the alternate list could have been 418 - 92 = 326 people if they didn't reject anyone after interviews. Theoretically, the maximum number of people who could be left on the alternate list after matriculation could probably be around 200. Of that 200, some may have been rejected and the rest alternate listed. I was always horrible at math. :eek:

Your deduction is accurate from other boards.
I really wish you luck. I heard via the grapevine that there are approximately 24 alternates left. The rest have been rejected.
So you are probably in the half of 13 to 24.
200 have already been "weeded" out. You still have an outside chance. Remember, I stressed that many have held onto alternate spots as a backup, because they cannot decide. When given the acceptance they might still turn it down. This is the only downfall of UCI system. I have a friend who's in the top half, and it his only shot at medical school this year. Got 5 interviews and is on 3 waitlists. 3.55 GPA and 29 MCAT. Mega extracurrics.
In the past most of the alternates got in due to the number on the list.
Good luck... :confused:

Wow dieter. How the heck did you get info on there possibly being 24 alternates left? Amazing. I wonder how reliable that info is. Thanks.

Anyone have any info on age ranges at UCI, and/or how favorably they look on older, non-trads? According to a Princeton Review med school book that I've got they have a cutoff around 30 years old, (but I've found that those books generally have suspect information).

Homer J.

30 isn't the cutoff for sure. There must be acceptions because I had a kaplan instructor who got accepted that was 31. That's all I know.

Wildstyle,
I just heard it through the grapevine. Do you honestly believe they would have 200 alternates for about 12 to 15 spots who turn down their acceptances ?? How can there be more alternates than filled spots.
A lot of people who were interviewed have been rejected already and a few more did not accept the alternate spots. It is close. You will either get in by a hair or miss by the same. The info is pretty reliable.
Good luck..
:rolleyes:

Sorry, anything is possible. At one school I interviewed at and got off the alternate list, the Dean told me there were 300 people on the alternate list!! Whether he was exaggerating or not, I have no idea.

Anybody know of any movement? Or how long the alternate list is now?

Time is running short....let the countdown begin...

Hi heard that some spots have opened up, but only to top half alternates. There may still be hope if the holder ons get decent financial aid from higher tier schools. Just had a friend admitted to Mount Sinai 2 days ago. He was holding UClA, now a spot opens at UCLA, and so it goes. Good luck, but go with your acceptance, at this stage. It is like roulette. Classes are full and alternates only get in if someone pulls out.
UCI is not a top ranked school. So expect some movement.
Good luck :rolleyes: