UC Irvine - Class of 2014

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MiniMoo

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone! :)

I noticed that UCI didn't have a class thread yet, so I decided to start one up! I know that people may still be waiting to hear back from schools before making a final decision of where to attend (myself included), but nonetheless, this will give those who are considering Irvine a chance to ask questions and get to know potential classmates! I'm really excited about possibly being an anteater come Fall and hope to maybe meet some of you at Second Look in May!

There's also a Facebook group that was started by current MS1's if anyone is interested. I think the majority of members thus far are people who are current students at UCI, but hopefully that will change as summer/fall approaches: http://www.facebook.com/#!/group.php?gid=259947561602&ref=ts

-Mini

Members don't see this ad.

Hm, am I the only one excited about possibly attending UCI?

"One is the loneliest number......" :laugh:

Hm, am I the only one excited about possibly attending UCI?

"One is the loneliest number......" :laugh:

I'll try my best to answer any UCI questions. Congrats on the acceptance! It's a great school :love:

Members don't see this ad :)
I'll try my best to answer any UCI questions. Congrats on the acceptance! It's a great school :love:

Hey Zoom. Thanks for posting. Are you an MS1? Mind if I ask what made you choose UCI? And anything in particular that you really like or dislike about the school?

Count me in. Also count me into the Facebook group :p

Thanks for creating this, Moo. Now I have something to check as neurotically as I would check the app thread.

Such a quiet thread! Those of you who have already heard back should have been invited to the revisit day next Saturday.

Should be an awesome day! Lots of activities, 3rd years giving tours of the hospital with attendings at various areas, and a glimpse at the student groups available when you attend.

Should be a great day.

Such a quiet thread! Those of you who have already heard back should have been invited to the revisit day next Saturday.

Should be an awesome day! Lots of activities, 3rd years giving tours of the hospital with attendings at various areas, and a glimpse at the student groups available when you attend.

Should be a great day.

I'm glad they decided to have a revisit day this year. Got the schedule via email already. Looking forward to getting a more in depth look at what UCI has to offer. Will you be one of the people giving tours?

I'm glad they decided to have a revisit day this year. Got the schedule via email already. Looking forward to getting a more in depth look at what UCI has to offer. Will you be one of the people giving tours?

Yeah I'll be there most of the day. The clubs at lunch, I'll be riding the bus over to the hospital and then I'll be giving on of the tours. But we have about 10 3rd and 4th years giving tours so everyone will be going at the same times in groups of 5 or so.

Great time to ask questions of the third years.

Yeah I'll be there most of the day. The clubs at lunch, I'll be riding the bus over to the hospital and then I'll be giving on of the tours. But we have about 10 3rd and 4th years giving tours so everyone will be going at the same times in groups of 5 or so.

Great time to ask questions of the third years.

Awesome. Thanks for the info. Do you know if there is anything planned after the official activities are over? Or is the day pretty much done after the Tour & Student Reception at 7:30?

Awesome. Thanks for the info. Do you know if there is anything planned after the official activities are over? Or is the day pretty much done after the Tour & Student Reception at 7:30?

I think the student reception is sort of the social event of the evening. I'm sure anyone who hit it off may head out for late night fun. But I don't think there is anything formal planned. Maybe one of the MS1s will plan something.

Yeah, although we have a neuro exam on monday I'm fairly sure there will be some drunkenness planned somewhere on Sat night. Our class is pretty social.

Hey Zoom. Thanks for posting. Are you an MS1? Mind if I ask what made you choose UCI? And anything in particular that you really like or dislike about the school?

Yep, lowly MS1 here. At the time I came here b/c it was in Cali and the best school I got in to. I am grateful every day that I didn't have much of a choice. I love it here. The big pro's are the abundance of free time and the people. I go to the gym every day and have plenty of time to do absolutely nothing, which I find to be essential. Others really have a lot of activities they are involved in. Tons of stuff, the crazy basterds.

The faculty are sincerely invested in the students' well being and from top-down the administration/faculty do their best to make everyone happy. Sincerely. We are all quite happy. We all help eachother out quite a bit due to the P/F curriculum. Very collaborative...Which is great and everything on it's own, but it also means a lack of outright competition, which is totally awesome. It would distrub lots of other med students, I'm sure.

I did extremely well on the shelf exams in physio and histo so I know the curriculum is working, too. It also doesn't hurt to be so close to the beach. Irvine itself is the one downside if you appreciate a lot of diversity -- I, for example, have a thing for authentic tacos -- but the total lack of traffic and crime, aesthetics, and perfect weather help me cope with my big-city withdrawl. Oh, did I mention we're all extremely happy? :p

I'll supplement the above with another potential con: due to the split campus, we more-or-less have no interaction with the 3rd and 4th years'. When I read alwaysaangel's post above I was thinking to myself, "oh, sweet, I wish I could go talk to the 3rd years. I'd like to learn about that stuff.." So, that's something to consider. On the flip-side, you get to leave Irvine and get some authentic tacos for the last 2 yrs of med school. ;)

I'll supplement the above with another potential con: due to the split campus, we more-or-less have no interaction with the 3rd and 4th years'. When I read alwaysaangel's post above I was thinking to myself, "oh, sweet, I wish I could go talk to the 3rd years. I'd like to learn about that stuff.." So, that's something to consider. On the flip-side, you get to leave Irvine and get some authentic tacos for the last 2 yrs of med school. ;)

And to comment on this con - this is something brought up A LOT about UCI. But the fact of the matter is the MS1/2 interaction with MS3/4 is no different than at any other school. I've spoken to friends of mine at other med schools about this.

Most medical schools you do half or more of your rotations at hospitals other than your home hospital (UCI is no different) so even if your MS1 and MS2 classes were next to the hospital or on a floor of the hospital you would likely not see much of the third and fourth years, because they will be working on the wards or working at a different hospital much of the year.

Most MS3 and MS4's don't see much of their own classmates let alone the classes below them. This is true at all schools. We go to work, we go home, we study and we go to bed. What little free time we have we go to the gym or hang out with the MS3 classmates we haven't seen in months :)

If you are involved in activities and seek out MS3 and MS4s at any school you can get some friends in the classes above you. And UCI has P=MD a website that connects classes through discussion forums where you can get some input from other classes.

Seek and you shall find :)

In all seriousness, "not having access to MS3 and MS4s" was something I was worried about when I came to UCI too but it really is no different than any other school. You'll see what I mean in a year Zoom-zoom - and if you ever have any questions go on P=MD or email one of us. We're pretty good about answering questions - we were in your position not too long ago.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for the helpful input you two. :) Second look provided a pretty solid peek at what the school has to offer. I have no doubt students can get a great education and the administration really seems to try very hard to make students happy by listening to input and making positive changes year after year. I left feeling very calm, confident, and assured about my decision to attend.

And to comment on this con - this is something brought up A LOT about UCI. But the fact of the matter is the MS1/2 interaction with MS3/4 is no different than at any other school. I've spoken to friends of mine at other med schools about this.

Most medical schools you do half or more of your rotations at hospitals other than your home hospital (UCI is no different) so even if your MS1 and MS2 classes were next to the hospital or on a floor of the hospital you would likely not see much of the third and fourth years, because they will be working on the wards or working at a different hospital much of the year.

Most MS3 and MS4's don't see much of their own classmates let alone the classes below them. This is true at all schools. We go to work, we go home, we study and we go to bed. What little free time we have we go to the gym or hang out with the MS3 classmates we haven't seen in months :)

If you are involved in activities and seek out MS3 and MS4s at any school you can get some friends in the classes above you. And UCI has P=MD a website that connects classes through discussion forums where you can get some input from other classes.

Seek and you shall find :)

In all seriousness, "not having access to MS3 and MS4s" was something I was worried about when I came to UCI too but it really is no different than any other school. You'll see what I mean in a year Zoom-zoom - and if you ever have any questions go on P=MD or email one of us. We're pretty good about answering questions - we were in your position not too long ago.

As you can probably tell from my screen name I go to Pritzker, University of Chicago, but was browsing the forums here. I was accepted to UCI a few years back so I have some idea of the program (but obviously not like current students).

The reason I am posting is because I disagree 10000% with the comment made about MS1/2 interactions with MS3/4 students. At Pritzker, we get loads and loads of interaction with them. First we have societies that break us up and provide a small community that spans against four classes. We have social rounds every Friday where a professor or MD will tend the bar and the whole MS1-4 is invited to just hang in the student lounge. We have upper class/lower class metoring lunches every quarter. Throughout M1 and M2 you meet with MS4's on a regular basis (sometimes as much as once a week) to develop your clinical skills (and that's in addition to meeting with MD preceptors and residents)

I guess my reason for posting is to say that it is NOT the norm to not interact with upper classmates. I know I have learned a considerable amount from my upper class peers who are the closest people to have experienced what I am going through.

That said, I know UCI is a great school, just disagree with that comment.

As you can probably tell from my screen name I go to Pritzker, University of Chicago, but was browsing the forums here. I was accepted to UCI a few years back so I have some idea of the program (but obviously not like current students).

The reason I am posting is because I disagree 10000% with the comment made about MS1/2 interactions with MS3/4 students. At Pritzker, we get loads and loads of interaction with them. First we have societies that break us up and provide a small community that spans against four classes. We have social rounds every Friday where a professor or MD will tend the bar and the whole MS1-4 is invited to just hang in the student lounge. We have upper class/lower class metoring lunches every quarter. Throughout M1 and M2 you meet with MS4's on a regular basis (sometimes as much as once a week) to develop your clinical skills (and that's in addition to meeting with MD preceptors and residents)

I guess my reason for posting is to say that it is NOT the norm to not interact with upper classmates. I know I have learned a considerable amount from my upper class peers who are the closest people to have experienced what I am going through.

Wow, that definitely makes Pritzker sound even more amazing than I already knew it was. Could that be a very unique aspect to your school though? At the places I've interviewed at, most students gave the impression that there is not a high caliber of upper/lower classmen interaction simply because M3 and M4 students are busy with rotations and residency interviews, etc.

Pritzker is a very different school in almost every respect....refer to my previous post and then imagine the opposite of that. Anywho, with respect to this upperclassman thing, it should be noted that what you've observed at your school doesn't exactly mean that's the norm, either. Either way though, it's not a huge factor and I hadn't really considered it until I read this thread, but it is a potential con that a lot of people are curious about.

Well every school is different and its neat that yours provides so much interaction. From speaking with people I know at UCD, UCSD, UCSF, Drexel, NYMC, and even Harvard - there is very little established interaction between upper and lower classmen. There always can be interaction but most schools seem to not have really well established mentoring programs the way yours does.

UCI has end of rotation parties and the end of 2 month rotation and all years are invited, those who attend interact with upperclassmen in a social setting. Interest groups connect between for those who are involved and provide informal settings for mentoring. (some interests groups establish formal mentoring to connect students interested in certain specialties). But there is no formal mentor programs.

But it neat that you guys have the MS4s teaching the MS1s and MS2s clinical skills. And while I can completely see the value in that, I have to say...I plan to enjoy my free time fourth year, I'm going to go back to work, I'm going to take midday naps - I look forward to fourth year being the best year of my life in med school/residency. So I personally would not find the trade off of being forced to spend time teaching my fourth year to be worth having that interaction first and second year. My own personal time has just become far to valuable to me.

Bumping this up. :)

Anyone doing anything fun during their last couple of months of freedom?

I just quit my job and am thoroughly enjoying sleeping in all day, going to the beach, and feeding my online shopping addiction. I feel somewhat guilty about not doing anything productive, but then I go straight back to lounging around the house in my PJ's after reading threads like this: http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=506559

i'll be in la jolla and then irvine/newport surfing and taking spanish classes. if anyone in the incoming class wants to take a day or two to give surfing a go or already schlarps and wants to post a session, PM me and i'd be happy to teach or head out with you.

positive attitude required though =) :thumbup:

Hello from Salzburg! Getting some traveling in before it gets crazy.

Yeah, looks like we're getting spoiled.

Yeah, looks like we're getting spoiled.

Dammmmnnn that's totally sick. I seriously love this school. Although I doubt we little MS2's are getting any iPad love. Boo! :scared: