UC Irvine is confusing me- and i hate AMCAS

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

poloace

10+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
just got this e-mail:

The University of California, Irvine - College of Medicine has received
electronic data on your application from AMCAS.

This message is to notify you that UC Irvine will not be using the AMCAS
paper applications and you must complete and submit a UC Application in
order for you to be considered an applicant to the College of Medicine. The
UC Application is available at <http://www.ucihs.uci.edu/admissions/>.
Please be sure and read the instructions before you complete and submit the
UC Application. Final admission decisions will await our receipt of verified
data from AMCAS. Located on the same website is a status check page where
you can view your current status.

In addition to contacting AMCAS, please notify the Admissions and Outreach
Office at [email protected] if you have any changes in your address, phone
number(s), or e-mail address.

We appreciate the interest you have shown in UC Irvine. We wish you success
in achieving your goals.

now.. why am i paying amcas money if i'm completing the same damn application through UCI? where is my money going that i sent to amcas for application to UCI? kind of lame if you ask me...
and i don't know if i should blame amcas or uci. both seem ******ed.
p

Members don't see this ad.

You are still getting a service from AMCAS. They are still verifying for UCI that your transcript info is legit.

Originally posted by Diogenes
You are still getting a service from AMCAS. They are still verifying for UCI that your transcript info is legit.

For $5-$10 he could send his transcript directly to UCI and cut out the middlemen who are charging $30 (I don't remember exactly how much they charge) per school.

Members don't see this ad :)
at least the UC supplemental doen't cost anything

Originally posted by GuitarMan

For $5-$10 he could send his transcript directly to UCI and cut out the middlemen who are charging $30 (I don't remember exactly how much they charge) per school.

Did I say it was worth it? No I did not. But he asked why he was paying AMCAS, and I told him what service they were providing.

Originally posted by Diogenes

Did I say it was worth it? No I did not. But he asked why he was paying AMCAS, and I told him what service they were providing.

Did I say you said it was worth it?

i dont see why i have to send them a fee for each school though...its not like they have to verify my transcript 30 times... just once. amcas is whack.

p

Originally posted by poloace
i dont see why i have to send them a fee for each school though...its not like they have to verify my transcript 30 times... just once. amcas is whack.

p

Yeah, but they aren't a for-profit business, so it is not like there are a bunch of people getting really rich off of it. I'll bet the initial fee and per-school fee was set based on what they know their costs are and what they know about how many people apply and how many schools they apply to. It doesn't seem really fair to charge the person applying to 40 schools the same as the person that applies to 3. That being said, I have no love for AMCAS -- I also don't hate them. I had zero problems applying last year.

I think the UCs are attempting to get out of AMCAS, but that takes time and you, unfortunately, are in a transition year.