UC Irvine probation?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

oogalydoogaly

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was thinking of doing an audition rotation at UC Irvine, but a resident at my institution told me they were on probation a few years ago. Are they still on probation status and what does that mean for the program and it's future residents?

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

I've only heard good things about UCI recently, but couldn't tell you any specifics. I know one of the residents there who absolutely loved it, and would speak volumes of the place.

UC Irvine was on proposed-probation, which is basically a yellow card in soccer. UC Irvine was given a chance to fix the issue while on proposed probation (which was really a lack of documentation and had nothing to do with the program). UC Irvine now has 10-year accreditation and they are good until 2023 as a program.

More recently, UC Irvine PM&R had matched their top 10 recruits this year for their 5-spots from what I heard. I know one of their outgoing chief residents was the resident of the year by AAP, and UC Irvine has matched their graduates into very competitive fellowships in pain medicine, SCI, and sports medicine over the past years (UCLA pain, UC Irvine pain, Long Beach VA/UC Irvine SCI, and Mayo Clinic sports medicine over 2012-2014 period). In addition, UC Irvine PM&R is apparently the 4th most funded PM&R department by NIH in the country.

See below link for more information on UC Irvine PM&R. I believe UC Irvine is making a case to be one of the best out in the west.

http://www.pmr.uci.edu/

Reactions: 1 user