UC Irvine vs. Davis

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

stat!!

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi Friends - Finally got an interview offer at Davis... I am already planning on heading out to the West coast for some interviews, but I can't fit them all in. Anyone care to comment on the relative strengths and weaknesses of Irvine vs. Davis? I have searched around the forum a bit, and have found alot of negative stuff about Irvine, but not much at all about Davis. I was thinking about dropping my Irvine interview and going with the Davis one - anyone think this is crazy? Thanks guys -

Statim

Members don't see this ad.

I have interviews at UCSD and UCI and am waiting to hear from UC davis. I would drop my UCI interview if I picked up UC davis, but that is based on buzz and here-say w/o a lot of personal knowledge about programs. I would rank the cali programs as such

1. UCSF
2. Stanford
3. UCLA
4. UCSD
5. UC davis
6. UC irvine
again, I know little about each program

Thanks. Just out of curiosity, where would USC fall on this list? My guess is above UCSD, below UCLA?

Members don't see this ad :)
stat!! said:
Thanks. Just out of curiosity, where would USC fall on this list? My guess is above UCSD, below UCLA?

I'd say after Davis and before Irvine

DrNick2006 said:
I have interviews at UCSD and UCI and am waiting to hear from UC davis. I would drop my UCI interview if I picked up UC davis, but that is based on buzz and here-say w/o a lot of personal knowledge about programs. I would rank the cali programs as such

1. UCSF
2. Stanford
3. UCLA
4. UCSD
5. UC davis
6. UC irvine
again, I know little about each program
Just so I can start up one of these argumentative threads...
In Cali I think it's more like this (based on reputation mostly):
1) UCSF
2) UCLA=Stanford=UCSD=UCSF Primary Care
3)Harbor=Cedars
4)UCD=USC=Olive View=Scripps
5)UCI=Kaiser prgrms=Santa Clara=Loma Linda=California Pacific=Fresno
6)Drew and the rest

this just shows how difficult it is to get info on CA programs if you are on the east coast. I dropped my Scripps interview and kept my UC Irvine interview, assuming the University programs would be better. And I also assumed USC was better than UC Davis, so I dropped UC Davis and held USC. And I figured USC was better than Cedars-Sinai, again because of the University program. What the?!? Now I've got UCSD, USC and Cedars-Sinai... I guess I'd rather be in Los Angeles than Sacramento, right?

ucla2usc said:
Just so I can start up one of these argumentative threads...
In Cali I think it's more like this (based on reputation mostly):
1) UCSF
2) UCLA=Stanford=UCSD=UCSF Primary Care
3)Harbor=Cedars
4)UCD=USC=Olive View=Scripps
5)UCI=Kaiser prgrms=Santa Clara=Loma Linda=California Pacific=Fresno
6)Drew and the rest

I think it's a pretty good start

1) UCSF
2) UCSF Primary care
3) Stanford>UCLA
4) UCSD
5) Harbor=Sinai
6) UCD=Olive View=Scripps?
7) USC
8) Santa Clara
9) UCI=Kaiser=LL=Cal Pac
10) Fresno (c'mon, it's Fresno!)

But now we're getting nit picky and it really comes down to are you a Nor Cal person or a S Cal person...

phatfarm said:
I think it's a pretty good start

1) UCSF
2) UCSF Primary care
3) Stanford>UCLA
4) UCSD
5) Harbor=Sinai
6) UCD=Olive View=Scripps?
7) USC
8) Santa Clara
9) UCI=Kaiser=LL=Cal Pac
10) Fresno (c'mon, it's Fresno!)

But now we're getting nit picky and it really comes down to are you a Nor Cal person or a S Cal person...

you must be N'cal, but i'd have to agree for the most part.
What about quality of training????? That'll really turn this list into a mess, well I think #1 still stands.

interesting list.

besides the official interview experiences list, can any of you comment briefly on the various california programs based on ur experiences? i'm currently a third year student at top 20 med school. In terms of class rank, I'm probably bottom 1/3 at my school. Step I was 212. no research. no activities. nothing great from my cv. would univ based program like ucla be out of reach? is a non-univ program like cears-sinai really better than usc? i'd like to eventually do a fellowship, but not sure what yet. any info would be helpful. thanks.

UCLA would be tough.

medstudent06 said:
interesting list.

besides the official interview experiences list, can any of you comment briefly on the various california programs based on ur experiences? i'm currently a third year student at top 20 med school. In terms of class rank, I'm probably bottom 1/3 at my school. Step I was 212. no research. no activities. nothing great from my cv. would univ based program like ucla be out of reach? is a non-univ program like cears-sinai really better than usc? i'd like to eventually do a fellowship, but not sure what yet. any info would be helpful. thanks.

Hmmm, I didn't think people would rank UC Davis and Olive View equally for internal medicine. In any case, it's all pretty relative and depends on your taste. Anyway, here's my take:

UCSF
Stanford
UCLA
UCSD
UCD
UCI
Harbor/Cedars/Santa Clara
USC
Olive View

**don't know much about Scripps or UCSF/ Fresno**