UC Post Bacc 2013 Cycle

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Hey all,

To start, I would like to congratulate those who have been accepted to post-baccalaureate programs! YOU'RE GOING TO BE A DOCTOR! But remember to take it one step at a time... I find myself thinking way too far into the future and losing sight of the present. For those still waiting to hear back, don't doubt yourselves and don't ever give up! We are all in this for the long-haul, right? I was surprised to get a call from UC Riverside on Monday morning for an interview, so all the pieces aren't in place yet—you may have a spot waiting for you!

I am so very grateful for the opportunity to be at UCSF starting this summer for their pre-medical post-baccalaureate program. Any chance any of you will be there too? We only just got the information about housing and start times; it's been feeling like a really fast transition, but I'm not complainin'! I'd love to be able to coordinate bringing housewares (dishes, flatware, pots & pans, etc.) for our assigned apartments, talk about what classes you're interested in taking, or just blabber about how excited we are. Please feel free to PM me!

P.S. Please don't feel discouraged about submitting your application on the last day. I submitted on April 10 in the last hour AND they didn't receive my transcript until the 17th (even though I requested it, literally, three times from my university!). I think they will always take the time to carefully review everyone's application because they're good people like that. Best of luck to all of you!
Hi ohleven! I got of the waitlist last Friday and received the housing info today. You mentioned coordinating kitchenware.. Do you already know how the apartments are laid out? How many people are we sharing one apartment with? That would be awesome if we could coordinate.

Members don't see this ad.

Has anyone who interviewed at UCD on June 4th heard back yet? Based on previous applicants who got into the UCD program, they've heard back almost right away :(.

Has anyone who interviewed at UCD on June 4th heard back yet? Based on previous applicants who got into the UCD program, they've heard back almost right away :(.
Lovedays, I interviewed on June 4th at UCD. I received the acceptance today. I know someone else who interviewed on June 4th at UCD and they received their acceptance 2 days after.

What time did you interview? Maybe we were in the same group! =)

I know the wait is tough... Good luck! I'm wishing you the best.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi Nikki! I called the housing office just to ask about mailing items to the dorms (unfortunately I'm not from the Bay area) and they told me that we all have single rooms and the apartments are probably laid out like 3 rooms/living room. I don't know if that helps (and the person I was speaking to said it was her first day there and she sounded unsure) :D. By the way, are you looking to renting an apartment in SF? I hope I find people in the program who are interested in being my housemates. :\ P.S. Congratulations for getting off the waitlist!

That's good to hear from UCSF. By the way, does anyone know what "books" they're providing us with? I have a stack of The Berkeley Review books I've been studying from, and I'm debating whether or not to bring them with me on the trip to SF. I really like their review questions. Does anyone know?
Bring 'em anyway. Why not, right? Treat yo' self!

where do most of the UC post-bac students end up? and what percentage start medical school the following fall?

i could not find stats anywhere?

I just got an interview from UCI. However I am not sure when the other schools will start doing interviews.

Reactions: 1 user
Does anyone have an idea?
Hi I spoke to a rep from UCSF and he/she said that they don't consider the applications on a rolling basis, so they won't officially look at them until after the final deadline. I recently submitted my application and am waiting for the documentation to be uploaded in their system.

Can I ask how long ago was your application fully completed? I'm just a little nervous and want to get a bit of an idea of how long it took other people between submitting and the consortium uploading the LoR, transcripts, etc. Thanks!

Hi all! I was recently accepted to the new Health Science Intensive Post Bacc program and Johns Hopkins, which is definitely a hybrid of an SMP and a regular post bacc program. How do you guys think this compares to the program at UCSD?

I'm from California and am really familiar with San Diego already. It's very tempting to stay here, and UCSD is an amazing school, but should I say no to Hopkins?

Hi there 2014 cycle, I have been super nervous about interviews !

I submitted my application on March 14, but my last LoR didn't make it there until April 2.
So that makes me very nervous about getting a chance at any of the programs.

Has anyone received an interview request ?

I just got an interview from UCI. However I am not sure when the other schools will start doing interviews.

I haven't received any notification on an interview for UCI and I submitted my application in March. How soon did you find out about the interview?

Congratulations to everyone on all of this! Definitely an exciting transition time for us all. I am wondering if anyone is planning to attend UCSD's post bacc? I have fortunately been accepted into their program and have an interview with UCI coming up.. I would really appreciate any and all advice!

Congratulations to everyone on all of this! Definitely an exciting transition time for us all. I am wondering if anyone is planning to attend UCSD's post bacc? I have fortunately been accepted into their program and have an interview with UCI coming up.. I would really appreciate any and all advice!
I am waiting on the consortium application (still pending), but I loved UCSD when I visited. It is definitely a top choice, I am wondering which one of these programs will give me the best shot at matriculating to a US MD or DO school. Anyone know how UCSD stacks up against those programs in the consortium?

Another post from an accepted applicant to UCSD's program mentioned there was something like a 5% acceptance rate to the program so it was definitely competitive.

"I think it was a lot more competitive than you guys think. Maybe not, but I'm pretty sure Mr. Kryzwicki told me that they got 500-600 applications to the program (way more than last year), held 62 interviews, and planned to cap the program at 30 students (like the website says). It is a little odd that everyone on this forum got accepted, but I don't think I would be too excited to share my rejection news on a forum like this…. "

I am waiting on the consortium application (still pending), but I loved UCSD when I visited. It is definitely a top choice, I am wondering which one of these programs will give me the best shot at matriculating to a US MD or DO school. Anyone know how UCSD stacks up against those programs in the consortium?

Wondering the same thing!! Hoping to go to whichever has the best matriculation rate in the end..