UCD or Trinity

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

applepark

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
If you had the choice, which school would you attend???

I've been offered to both schools and am in a dilemma on which school to reserve my spot in.

All advice is greatly appreciated!! :p

Members don't see this ad.

First of, congratulations! I can't really help much.. I'll just say that from what I do know, TCD had a wonderful reputation. As with everything else Irish, there are many controversies. I'll be keeping my eye out for this one cause I might be facing a smiliar dilemma soon! Anyway, congrats again.

Congrats! Both very good schools. Tough to say which one I'd pick. Trinity is right in the very middle of downtown while UCD is more on the edge of the city. So location of living would be an easy way for you to decide.

Personally, I'd take Trinity just because it's the higher point's school (more competitive among Irish students) but we're talking a difference of 5-10 points every year (which is nothing). But it's a nice school and a good location. But UCD is just as good and if you're the type who hates living in the absolute city center you might be happier there!

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks Great points!!

I have so much reflecting to do still....:scared: I hope that I choose the right school for me, b/c that is what is most important right~!

You are in a great position and won't go wrong with either school. They both have good reputations for medicine. The "points" system doesn't rate the school, it is simply a measure of supply and demand. Trinity actually has less places than UCD so that pushes up the points.

Everyone likes the architecture in Trinity but it is the facilities that matter, and I think UCD has better facilities. They have just opened a brand new medical building and library beside the biomed research labs. The sport facilities and accommodation on campus are pretty good too.

Hey All,

I wouldn't bother trying to make your decision based on reputation, because both will take you as far as you want them to. Also, trying to figure out which program is better is an exercise in futility.

However, the schools are set up quite differently. Trinity is a fairly compact campus set in the heart of downtown with lots of hustle and bustle about it (think U of Toronto). UCD is a sprawling campus with lots of greenspace set in a posh area south of Downtown (think UWO). UCD is fairly self-contained; one could spend all year here and not leave campus (bad idea). Trinity is a part of the downtown core with tourists wandering through and shops surrounding it.

The architecture is quite different as well. Trinity has more classical architecture (not surprising given it's age) which is quite beautiful. UCD has more modern architecture, which in my opinion isn't quite the same, but the Medical facilities are much more recent (Jan 2007) which makes up for it.

I personally prefer the large self-contained campus however that's just a personal preference.

Cheers,
Jocks

Living in City Centre would probably be more expensive but, there would probably be more choices and availability than around UCD. I'm planning living on campus for atleast another year. I'm not sure if Trinity students stay after first year. Also, when we say UCD is on the outskirts of Dublin, that means a 10 minute bus ride to Trinity so really not that big of a deal....unless you're out drinking until 3ish. UCD's facilities are newer and probably better. St. Vincents hospital is within walking distance from campus and it's one of the better hospitals in Dublin I think. I wouldn't want to go to St. James or Tal that's for sure.

Trinity is beautiful and it's nice to live somewhere with history. Anatomy classes are still given in lecture amphitheaters with wooden pews and designs. Ok, not the most comfortable but it is quaint and quite nice. It just depends what you like. UCD is further from the city centre, but you can cycle to town in like 10 minutes if you're a fast cyclist. Regarding hospitals, people keep ragging on St James's...I don't really understand why, unless it's because of the catchment area served. Architecturally, it's not as nice as some others and may be cramped, but it's got a great fun atmosphere. Tallaght hospital is farther out and 40 minutes by Luas from city centre, but it's a great hospital in terms of organization and nice staff. I was always an SJH fan until my surgery placement in Tallaght this year, it's really cool. So I'd be happy at either place. It's not really the architecture of the hospitals that matter...it's the teaching you get in them and the relationships you build with the staff.

So if I have this right.
Academically, I believe the two schools are pretty much par. One school is in the heart of downtown and is synonymous with U of Toronto and the other is 10 minutes away. Is there anything else that sets the two apart?

I understand that UCD runs from September-May where as TCD runs from October-June. For those trying to do electives in the states or Canada, does the difference in start and finishing dates have its advantages and disadvantages?

UCC runs on the October to June schedule (until 3rd year when it switched to late-August to early June) and it has no impact on doing electives - most of the places I've looked into have been really flexible about dates, and you can always miss a week of clinics at the beginning of the year if you need to. It's nice with the late start in 1st and 2nd year because you get to enjoy more of the Canadian fall, which is much nicer than September in Cork, usually.OK, enough procrastination. Must study - OSCE tomorrow. Cheers,
M

Even though I have yet to hear from the schools, I just wanted to say thank you to all of the TCD, UCC, UCD and RCSI students who have enlightened us with information and opinions regarding medical school and life in Ireland. :thumbup:

Trinity would be more synonymous to Queen's University or McGill. UCD is bigger in terms of size and student population. Trinity is much older with more history (400ish years compared to 150ish years old) although both have plenty of history. Personally that doesn't affect my daily life and people back home won't know how old either school is. Student accommodations are right on campus in UCD and you can roll out of bed and walk to class in 10 minutes. Facilities are newer at UCD. Living in City Centre would be very convenient when you're out late. It's tough finding a cab at 3am to take you back home. Cab ride for 4 would be around 15 Euro or 4 Euro/person on the Nightlink.

Also, if you like green, UCD's campus is full of fields, trees, flowers, and a few ponds. Trinity's not quite like that due to space limitations. Athletics-wise, there's a sports centre on the UCD campus with squash courts, climbing wall, courts, gym (you have to pay). There are like 8 soccer pitches/fields to play sports on, a running track with hurdles and sand pits if you're into track and field. You can see the sea/ocean on campus if you go to a 4 storey building. Talked to a few mature Irish students last night and they felt Trinity med program was outdated. Even met some Trinity students in other faculties and they're all very nice. No complaints from North Americans regarding Trinity so far (in terms of education), only from Irish students from UCD. No matter where you go, I think it'll be up to you to make it work.

Edit: Oh yeah we have the ducks and swans that stay on campus all year in the large artifical pond. Sort of like mascots and they can be fun once in a while!

Members don't see this ad :)
Edit: Oh yeah we have the ducks and swans that stay on campus all year in the large artifical pond. Sort of like mascots and they can be fun once in a while!

Frank the Tank!

No matter where you go, I think it'll be up to you to make it work.
quote]

Oh yes, don't I know it.

Obviously both schools have a good time. Thanks for the input. I have given myself until tomorrow to decide and send my $$$. AAAHHH!

Thanks to everyone who tried to help me out. Unfortunately the decision is on me. :oops:

Hey Leorl,

You mentioned that 1st years don't usually get accomodations on Campus. How do most people get to school then? Other than biking? Is public transportation in Dublin well set up, so that a student can go 5 years with out a vehicle?

How do most people at UCD and Trinity get around? Do they buy/lease a car or depend solely on public transportation? I was looking on the map and the teaching hospitals are some distance away from the schools.

Thanks

can people comment on the climate compared to that in Canada. Just trying to get an idea

can people comment on the climate compared to that in Canada. Just trying to get an idea
More milder for the most part. In Cork it goes from min 5 degrees to max about 25. Although today it's almost 30 degrees....

People always talk about the rain but it doesn't rain that much - more mists. Although some days it's just pissing rain and it's horrible - especially Jan-Feb. Besides those two months the rest of the year is really nice.

Cork is hit by the gulf stream so it's a lot warmer then Dublin. Still doesn't snow there though often but gets down to around 0 degrees. Summers are about the same.

doesnt seem that. not too much snow and lows around 0. not too shabby. one quick question and dont mean to hijack the thread but where are the Irish Med interviews done for Canadian prospective students

Hey applepark,

cool weather.com link, thanks.

Apparently Birmingham UK gets less rain than Kingston, Ontario. Sweet.

Ok, back to applepark's transportation issue.

I don't think many people buy cars. They're very expensive here plus I think you need an international license I think.

Bus is fine. A bike is handy but that's expensive as well. I don't really see why you would need a car especially if you live in City Centre.

Weather here is great actually. In dublin you don't get much rain (certainly not what you hear about anyways). Winters here are mild for sure. I didn't even wear my full winter coat this year. It rarely gets below 0 even at night. But everyone's different of course. I'm from Ontario and it wasn't bad. Those from Alberta were handling it even better.

So I'm assuming that most people bus it to the hospitals then when they begin their clinical. Because the hospitals on google seem to be some distance from the actual school.

So I'm assuming that most people bus it to the hospitals then when they begin their clinical. Because the hospitals on google seem to be some distance from the actual school.

Vincent's is only a very short walk away from UCD's campus.

yes, but Vincent isn't the only hospital that students go to.

So apple, which school did you decide to attend? I have a gut feeling you choose TCD...am I right? :)

OMG eg77

are you stalking me? I've decided as of today that I will be giving my money to TCD. Of course until I send in my money nothing is final and I might have a sudden change of heart (I've been having them frequently as of late) right at the bank, but for now I believe I'm a TCDer :p .

Cheers

OMG eg77

are you stalking me? I've decided as of today that I will be giving my money to TCD. Of course until I send in my money nothing is final and I might have a sudden change of heart (I've been having them frequently as of late) right at the bank, but for now I believe I'm a TCDer :p .

Cheers

Muhahah...Muhahah...Muhahahh !!!! Ok that was really creepy :)

That's awesome...TCD sounds exciting. So what were the factors that attracted you to it as opposed to UCD?!?

Also, are you on the Canadian pre-med forum, with the name "apple" ? There's someone by the name of apple on that forum that's been accepted to Ireland and is waiting for UBC...Anyways, that's the same scnario I'm in so I thought I'd ask :oops:

Muhahah...Muhahah...Muhahahh !!!! Ok that was really creepy :)

That's awesome...TCD sounds exciting. So what were the factors that attracted you to it as opposed to UCD?!?

Also, are you on the Canadian pre-med forum, with the name "apple" ? There's someone by the name of apple on that forum that's been accepted to Ireland and is waiting for UBC...Anyways, that's the same scnario I'm in so I thought I'd ask :oops:

Apples is me ^_^ Who are you on the other forum? Or are u just a "Guest" kekekekeke.

BTW your "Muhahahah"'s don't scare me :D

Can someone please help!! I have been accepted into both Trinity and Galway and can't decide. Anyone know anything to help me choose? Thanks

For Trinity or UCD:

Both are fine colleges. An education will do fine for both.

More people on the street in North America will have heard of Trinity but it is more to do with the arts than medicine. Residency choice will be about the same from my experience in Ireland.

I can't comment on the finer points of Trinity since I didn't go there. I used to walk through the campus sometimes though, and I liked the old ivy-league type of buildings better than the soviet style of UCD's Belfield campus. That's all that I can really say about Trinity.

For UCD , I like having 60+ acres with greenspace, despite the marring of it by soviet-style buildings. I came from a rural area, and Belfield and St. Stephen's Green were certainly therapeutic to get a break from concrete and asphalt.

If Trinity vs. UCD nowadays, I would take UCD but that is my bias since I went to UCD and it was fine.

If I hadn't gone to either, I think I would slightly tip toward UCD, on the benefit that the president of the UCD university is now medical and has US medical training (Professor Brady). With him at the helm, all the remaining lingering things that should get have been done years ago are moving forward quicker to getting done (such as moving Earlsford Terrace to Belfield, tighten up branding and internet presence, more Belfield residences, etc).