Ucd, ucsd, or uci ? helpp..

Which school do you think is better?

• Total voters

emanao

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi guys, so i recently got accepted into these 3 colleges and I seriously can not choose where to go to. My goal is to get my pre-med done soo..
lets get to my point:

1) UCSD = I applied for biochem but got accepted with an "undeclared" major (you see this doubt me), but its one of the best schools and its only 2 hours drive. However, i heard the major i want to go to is impacted so its going to be really hard to squeeze in. Plus, the competition there is really tough too just like ucla and cal.. So i dont know. Though, I like how it's next to the beach and not away from social life. I visited the campus. Not like most people, I was not impressed about it. The buildings are old and the area seemed dirty and bland. Maybe I expect too much.. Oh well, I guess any other campuses are like that too.

2) UCD = I applied for "biochemistry and molecular biology" and I got it. I was pretty stoked and was actually pretty sure to go study there :) However it's 8 hours away from home which means I have to fly there. But the saying that davis is "out of nowhere" (1 hour from SF) and the smell of cows' poop and the bad weather just making me nervous to decide to go there. I meant, I don't want to spend the rest of my 4 years in a place like that. Although it may not clearly true. But who knows? Because I also heard that the people are all so friendly there. And the competition is not so uptight. I have never visited the campus and so, i am pretty clueless about the school area..

3) UCI = I applied for biochem but I got into "Biological Science" which is not bad at all. I meant why not? But my friend recommended to me not to take that major because they make you memorize a lot of botanical terms? (haha i know). Thus, I don't really consider UCI as much for my choice, ALTHOUGH, its only 1 hour away from my house. My brother goes to UCI too so i will not worry about trying to fit in and stuff..

I got into UCR too, but nah.. I'm just kinda struggling between pretty much UCD and UCSD.. So guys, pleasee help me out on this. thanks :D appreciate all the opinions and helps !

Members don't see this ad.

I don't believe I've ever heard La Jolla described as dirty.

Members don't see this ad :)
meh

doesn't really matter. just go where it is most convenient for you. pretty much all the UC's have more or less the same opportunities, same programs, etc. they're good schools.

What? Are you joking? UCSD's campus is gorgeous, the surrounding area is even more beautiful.

Agree with Chiddler on this one.

Hi guys, so i recently got accepted into these 3 colleges and I seriously can not choose where to go to. My goal is to get my pre-med done soo..
lets get to my point:

3) UCI = I applied for biochem but I got into "Biological Science" which is not bad at all. I meant why not? But my friend recommended to me not to take that major because they make you memorize a lot of botanical terms? (haha i know). Thus, I don't really consider UCI as much for my choice, ALTHOUGH, its only 1 hour away from my house. My brother goes to UCI too so i will not worry about trying to fit in and stuff..

Sounds like you don't want to go to UCI, so don't go to UCI but in response to your question about botanical terms - it is BS. I have been here 4 years as a Bio major and never once had to learn a single thing about plants. Also there is no Biochem major for freshman so it was Bio Sci or bust.

That being said it looks like UCSD is your best option.

Sounds like you don't want to go to UCI, so don't go to UCI but in response to your question about botanical terms - it is BS. I have been here 4 years as a Bio major and never once had to learn a single thing about plants. Also there is no Biochem major for freshman so it was Bio Sci or bust.

That being said it looks like UCSD is your best option.

What i know for sure is that by the end, I will still go to a pre-med major anyways. So, major may not be my biggest issue. I want to go to UCSD but they get me an undeclared major. And that's kind of discouraging to be honest. Well I'm glad that the plants stuff is not true. lol Don't get me wrong but UCI could be my option too. Like I just want it to be the best one. Sounds demanding but its all about living the rest of my 4 years.. so yeah.. thanks for your opinion though. :)

I say UC Davis or Riverside. Pre-med competition at UCSD is pretty tough. Half the school is basically premed and the MD med school acceptance rate is less than the national average. I think that tells you something. Go to the school where you think you can get the highest GPA, stand out, and also have time for extracurriculars.

Check this out:
http://career.ucsd.edu/undergraduates/consider-grad-school/pre-medical-data.html
UCSD also feeds more students into DO schools than other colleges. I don't know if thats a good or bad thing. I'd say bad because I feel like that indicates students from UCSD have a tough time getting into MD schools.

PM me if you want more info

I gotta represent my alma mater UCI.
I think you'd do better there IMO, less competition stuffy, and definitely no BOTANICALS.
Unless you go to the greenhouse.

I was Bio and turned to immunology, so you can always "narrow" your bio focus in 3rd year.

UCSD student here, if I had to do it all over, I'd go to UCD, more of a college town, competition is less for pre-meds, you got the major you wanted, etc.

Though UCSD is an amazing school with a plethora of opportunities in the biological sciences, La Jolla as a city is not conducive to student-life, IMO, there is also very little student spirit. I feel as though UCD would offer a better, more worthwhile college experience, whereas UCSD will most likely offer you more opportunites as a pre-med, with the variety of hospitals (2 on campus, plenty more in the surrounding area), research institutions (med school, various labs, salk institute, bernham institute), and world-renowned faculty in various scientific fields.

Oh yeah, I also live about 20 mins away from UCI and have many friends who go there. UCI is a commuter school, with many students living in the surrounding areas, and MANY students leave on the weeks. They also have very little school spirit. I dislike this school significantly and discourage anyone who will listen from attending.

UCSD, hands down. As a proud alumnus, I am confident that UCSD will provide you with a complete education and rewarding college experience.

I'll address some of the many valid points others have brought up above.

Competition: Yes, there is significant competition among pre-meds, but in no way is it overwhelming (especially when compared to schools like UC Berkeley). Put in the work and you shall be rewarded. Getting a "good" GPA is most likely tougher here than at either UCI or UCD, but remains entirely plausible. The only reason why the M.D. acceptance % has gone down relative to the national average is b/c there are more "non-serious pre-meds" applying - note the all time high of 490 for 2010. If you are serious about pursuing medicine, you will reap the rewards of graduating from a well-renowned institution. Many medical schools take your undergrad institution into account when looking at your grades. For example, graduates of Johns Hopkins undergrad with 3.3 GPA and above have an 80% success rate when applying to MD schools (see JHU career site for more info).

Research: Top-notch quality, with near-limitless opportunities. You have a virtual smorgasboard of labs, research centers, institutes, etc.. Just find a subject you like and look up the corresponding lab. I run into / work with Nobel prize winners on a daily basis. It doesn't get any easier than this.

Clinical Opportunities: There are actually 3 hospitals on campus: Scripps, Thorton, and VA San Diego. You can volunteer at any of the three; it's super convenient. More shadowing / mentoring / research opportunities can be found in the school of medicine which is located on campus as well.

Location: It is true that La Jolla is not a true "college town." That being said, I doubt most people (with the exception of the greek frats) really mind. At the very least, the main campus is not located in a suburban area (like UCI). With scenic ocean views, excellent hiking trails, and its own pier & beach, I'd say going to UCSD is roughly akin to living in paradise. Oh, and the weather is sunny with a cool ocean breeze approximately 70% of the year. If you like the ocean, UCSD is your school. Downtown SD and Pacific Beach is where most of the nightlife exists; it's a mere 10-15 minute drive from the campus. The campus itself is more beautiful than you might imagine. I suppose it also depends on which of the six colleges you are in - some are much newer / nicer than others.

School Spirit / Social Life: UCSD does not have DI sports. It would be nice if we did. I would say school spirit is slightly below the national average, but serious efforts to remedy this issue have been taken in recent years (like free beer garden 2x a quarter - not joking). We do get a giant music festival / campus-wide party called SunGod as well. Students from all over CA come to check it out. We also have one of SoCal's biggest dance competitions (Fusion). The greek influence (frat / sorority) is definitely less than at other schools. If you're a serious pre-med though, this is a good thing.

Faculty / Biology Department / Career Center: Outstanding. The bio department has been more helpful than I could have possibly ever asked for. I ended up getting 5 letters of rec from different bio faculty. Advising is easy to schedule. It's easy to become a TA (which looks good on your application). You can drop classes up to the 4th week without getting a 'W'. Try your best to get in! The Career Center is also great. They put on all sorts of workshops to help you with your application for medical school.

In summary, UCSD is a complete package and will certainly aid your pre-med aspirations, so long as you give it your best effort. The experience is what you make of it.

also a ucsd alumnus.

i've heard of a few people getting into the bio major from undeclared so it's not impossible. besides, as long as you take the premed requirements, i doubt what major you are is actually going to matter.

i agree that the neighboring la jolla area isn't the "best" in terms of the party/social scene, but you get what you make of it. if you WANT to get trashed every weekend, you will find people who want to get trashed with you without difficulty. the social life probably isn't as accessible as it might be at a more "college town" school but you can def. get it if you want.

some of the buildings are old but i'm sure it's like that at any school (look at the ivy leagues...). besides, if you're on a premed track, you will probably be spending most of your time on the med campus (or at least i did) and that area is way nicer.

as for the competition, i'm going to echo the above post. it only seems competitive because apparently like 80% of ucsd enters "premed" and then they all drop or never end up applying. that's not because it's too competitive, i think it's more of a lot of students enter not being entirely sure what it entails to go this route (aka are pushed to it by their parents in some way). it's not hypercompetitive like some other schools where you have students going out of their way to bring down each other. if you really want to be a doctor, and you really want the best premed education/opportunities, i think ucsd beats the other two easily.

also a ucsd alumnus.

i've heard of a few people getting into the bio major from undeclared so it's not impossible. besides, as long as you take the premed requirements, i doubt what major you are is actually going to matter.

i agree that the neighboring la jolla area isn't the "best" in terms of the party/social scene, but you get what you make of it. if you WANT to get trashed every weekend, you will find people who want to get trashed with you without difficulty. the social life probably isn't as accessible as it might be at a more "college town" school but you can def. get it if you want.

some of the buildings are old but i'm sure it's like that at any school (look at the ivy leagues...). besides, if you're on a premed track, you will probably be spending most of your time on the med campus (or at least i did) and that area is way nicer.

as for the competition, i'm going to echo the above post. it only seems competitive because apparently like 80% of ucsd enters "premed" and then they all drop or never end up applying. that's not because it's too competitive, i think it's more of a lot of students enter not being entirely sure what it entails to go this route (aka are pushed to it by their parents in some way). it's not hypercompetitive like some other schools where you have students going out of their way to bring down each other. if you really want to be a doctor, and you really want the best premed education/opportunities, i think ucsd beats the other two easily.

Completely agree with everything above ^^

The social aspect is there if you want it. I had way too much fun my freshman year....

Members don't see this ad :)
lets get to my point:

1) UCSD = I applied for biochem but got accepted with an "undeclared" major (you see this doubt me), but its one of the best schools and its only 2 hours drive. However, i heard the major i want to go to is impacted so its going to be really hard to squeeze in. Plus, the competition there is really tough too just like ucla and cal.. So i dont know. Though, I like how it's next to the beach and not away from social life. I visited the campus. Not like most people, I was not impressed about it. The buildings are old and the area seemed dirty and bland. Maybe I expect too much.. Oh well, I guess any other campuses are like that too.

2) UCD = I applied for "biochemistry and molecular biology" and I got it. I was pretty stoked and was actually pretty sure to go study there :) However it's 8 hours away from home which means I have to fly there. But the saying that davis is "out of nowhere" (1 hour from SF) and the smell of cows' poop and the bad weather just making me nervous to decide to go there. I meant, I don't want to spend the rest of my 4 years in a place like that. Although it may not clearly true. But who knows? Because I also heard that the people are all so friendly there. And the competition is not so uptight. I have never visited the campus and so, i am pretty clueless about the school area..

I got into UCR too, but nah.. I'm just kinda struggling between pretty much UCD and UCSD.. So guys, pleasee help me out on this. thanks :D appreciate all the opinions and helps !

UCD is a great hidden gem. There are so many opportunities to be involved in student-run clinics (there's like 8!), opportunities in medicine that I havent seen in undergrad campuses. There's a great connection with the UCD SOM. It's a nice place!

I am shocked you called Ucsd campus dirty and bland!! It's absolutely stunning! There are gorgeous new buildings built constantly!! It's a fabulous institution with top ranked science programs!

As a UCD alum, I chose Davis over SD because the atmosphere fit me really well. When I visited SD I didn't think the campus was particularly welcoming. At Davis, I had the opposite experience. The campus is very integrated into the surrounding town, which makes a great atmosphere. At SD I thought that everyone who lived in LaJolla wanted to be as separated from the students as possible.

Also, it is very easy to get involved in research and volunteering at Davis. I'm not sure who told you that the weather was bad. It's not 80 year round. But it certainly isn't "bad" by any standards. I actually prefer it because it has seasons! In winter, it can be windy and rainy and there is frost. But no snow or weeks of rain at a time. And Spring and Fall are beautiful.

It's not really in the middle of nowhere either. The town of Davis has pretty much everything you need. And Sacramento is only 15 minutes away. For adventures, you can be in SF or Tahoe in about 1.5 hours. It's really a flexible place location wise. And on some days when the wind is really bad and in the right direction it does smell slightly like cows. But it really isn't every day or near as bad as they make it out to be.

As far as competition goes, you are looking at a UC. They are some of the top schools I the nation. They will all be competitive. But at least at Davis, people are friendly about it. And speaking from experience, 9 out of 10 of my pre-med friends were accepted to one or more schools this year.

Good luck! You can't go wrong with any of them. My vote, is for Davis, obviously. At least go up and give it a look. You might be surprised!!

This thread shouldn't be in the allopathic discussion, just sayin

OP, no school is necessarily going to prepare you better "premed" than another. it's all about YOU. How much YOU want to get involved, how much YOU want to work in your classes, how much YOU are willing to put yourself out there to find a good mentor.

Choose either the cheapest school, or the school that feels like you will thrive at. Don't choose it based on the "premed opportunities"...by and large most people don't get that much out of them anyway. And if they do, they won't need organized premed opportunities as a crutch to get somewhere. They will be able to connect and meet people through their own means.

Competition: Yes, there is significant competition among pre-meds, but in no way is it overwhelming (especially when compared to schools like UC Berkeley). Put in the work and you shall be rewarded. Getting a "good" GPA is most likely tougher here than at either UCI or UCD, but remains entirely plausible. The only reason why the M.D. acceptance % has gone down relative to the national average is b/c there are more "non-serious pre-meds" applying - note the all time high of 490 for 2010. If you are serious about pursuing medicine, you will reap the rewards of graduating from a well-renowned institution. Many medical schools take your undergrad institution into account when looking at your grades. For example, graduates of Johns Hopkins undergrad with 3.3 GPA and above have an 80% success rate when applying to MD schools (see JHU career site for more info).

I agree with most of this. Working hard is really the best and most secure way to lock down one aspect of your medical school application. I would, however, like to disagree with the importance of competitiveness in general. I cannot speak for UCSD, but I can speak for Cal and say that competition is non-existent (at least from my experience). I think the UCs in general get a bad reputation about competitiveness, and while it is going to be true in some instances, I really do not think it is a defining factor, especially for the undergrad.

I might get blasted for this by people who experienced otherwise, but I would not worry about competition when making this decision. Go where you feel the programs and surrounding area are the best fit for you. These are all great schools. Congratulations.

For the record, not all of Davis smells like cow poop... only one freshman dorm near the animal facility, lol. And Davis is a great college town.

UCD is not necessarily filled with cows, if anything it is not like half of the town is filled, it is just a particular area.
In addition, I think SD may be a better fit, because of the college system and their ranking in biological sciences, which college did you get into?

I say UC Davis or Riverside. Pre-med competition at UCSD is pretty tough. Half the school is basically premed and the MD med school acceptance rate is less than the national average. I think that tells you something. Go to the school where you think you can get the highest GPA, stand out, and also have time for extracurriculars.

PM me if you want more info

That is what I'm talking about. I might be biased by saying I know by heart UCSD would be my best choice over UCD. But again, UCSD is a good school with bunch of brilliant students come along. Maybe its just me, but I'm really worry about failing and cannot keep up with the others and also not being able to "stand out" like you say. This doesn't mean I don't want to try. I am hardworking and if I know I'm behind, I will keep pushing myself to get back on track. But I dont want to be just on track. I want to be excellent too in my studies. :cool:

It is really like "I should go to UCSD cause it's the best school i got into and i dont want to turn it down, i mean why would I? But, in UCD I might get a better shot than I can get in san diego" ooh decision, decision..

UCD is not necessarily filled with cows, if anything it is not like half of the town is filled, it is just a particular area.
In addition, I think SD may be a better fit, because of the college system and their ranking in biological sciences, which college did you get into?

I got into sixth.

As a UCD alum, I chose Davis over SD because the atmosphere fit me really well. When I visited SD I didn't think the campus was particularly welcoming. At Davis, I had the opposite experience. The campus is very integrated into the surrounding town, which makes a great atmosphere. At SD I thought that everyone who lived in LaJolla wanted to be as separated from the students as possible.

Also, it is very easy to get involved in research and volunteering at Davis. I'm not sure who told you that the weather was bad. It's not 80 year round. But it certainly isn't "bad" by any standards. I actually prefer it because it has seasons! In winter, it can be windy and rainy and there is frost. But no snow or weeks of rain at a time. And Spring and Fall are beautiful.

It's not really in the middle of nowhere either. The town of Davis has pretty much everything you need. And Sacramento is only 15 minutes away. For adventures, you can be in SF or Tahoe in about 1.5 hours. It's really a flexible place location wise. And on some days when the wind is really bad and in the right direction it does smell slightly like cows. But it really isn't every day or near as bad as they make it out to be.

As far as competition goes, you are looking at a UC. They are some of the top schools I the nation. They will all be competitive. But at least at Davis, people are friendly about it. And speaking from experience, 9 out of 10 of my pre-med friends were accepted to one or more schools this year.

Good luck! You can't go wrong with any of them. My vote, is for Davis, obviously. At least go up and give it a look. You might be surprised!!

I desperately want to visit the campus. But I dont think it's possible anytime soon when really I have to submit my SIR as fast as I can :(. Which means I have to decide without having a chance to really see davis. But anyways thankyou so much for sharing about UCD. At this point I can really use some information from people who's been in Davis so I can picture what it looks or how it feels like to live there. Just so i can compare davis to sandiego.

UCSD, hands down. As a proud alumnus, I am confident that UCSD will provide you with a complete education and rewarding college experience.

I'll address some of the many valid points others have brought up above.

Research: Top-notch quality, with near-limitless opportunities. You have a virtual smorgasboard of labs, research centers, institutes, etc.. Just find a subject you like and look up the corresponding lab. I run into / work with Nobel prize winners on a daily basis. It doesn't get any easier than this.

Clinical Opportunities: There are actually 3 hospitals on campus: Scripps, Thorton, and VA San Diego. You can volunteer at any of the three; it's super convenient. More shadowing / mentoring / research opportunities can be found in the school of medicine which is located on campus as well.

Location: It is true that La Jolla is not a true "college town." That being said, I doubt most people (with the exception of the greek frats) really mind. At the very least, the main campus is not located in a suburban area (like UCI). With scenic ocean views, excellent hiking trails, and its own pier & beach, I'd say going to UCSD is roughly akin to living in paradise. Oh, and the weather is sunny with a cool ocean breeze approximately 70% of the year. If you like the ocean, UCSD is your school. Downtown SD and Pacific Beach is where most of the nightlife exists; it's a mere 10-15 minute drive from the campus. The campus itself is more beautiful than you might imagine. I suppose it also depends on which of the six colleges you are in - some are much newer / nicer than others.

School Spirit / Social Life: UCSD does not have DI sports. It would be nice if we did. I would say school spirit is slightly below the national average, but serious efforts to remedy this issue have been taken in recent years (like free beer garden 2x a quarter - not joking). We do get a giant music festival / campus-wide party called SunGod as well. Students from all over CA come to check it out. We also have one of SoCal's biggest dance competitions (Fusion). The greek influence (frat / sorority) is definitely less than at other schools. If you're a serious pre-med though, this is a good thing.

Faculty / Biology Department / Career Center: Outstanding. The bio department has been more helpful than I could have possibly ever asked for. I ended up getting 5 letters of rec from different bio faculty. Advising is easy to schedule. It's easy to become a TA (which looks good on your application). You can drop classes up to the 4th week without getting a 'W'. Try your best to get in! The Career Center is also great. They put on all sorts of workshops to help you with your application for medical school.

In summary, UCSD is a complete package and will certainly aid your pre-med aspirations, so long as you give it your best effort. The experience is what you make of it.

BEST FEEDBACK I've ever gotten. You even beat my counselor's advice. lol Seriously thank you so much for spending time to write all the above points. I got more than what I deserved. Your opinions truly gonna affect my decision this time :)

I got into sixth.

Sixth is the pretty segregated from the rest of the colleges. To be perfectly honest, the first year dorms there are pretty old and cramped. The second year apartments are older, but extremely spacious and homey-feeling. I wasn't a Sixth student, but I spent a lot of time there. Also, it will soon have it's own name (yet to be announced) and will no longer be an oddball among the other colleges with names. Because Sixth is located in a physically remote location, you will not see people from the other colleges as much, and you will most likely become close with your suitemates and others in Sixth. Over time, the college will grow on you - nearly everyone likes their respective college by the time they're a second year.

BEST FEEDBACK I've ever gotten. You even beat my counselor's advice. lol Seriously thank you so much for spending time to write all the above points. I got more than what I deserved. Your opinions truly gonna affect my decision this time :)

No problem. Now that I've been accepted to my dream school, I'm more than happy to lend a hand to those in need.

Feel free to PM me if you have any more questions.

I desperately want to visit the campus. But I dont think it's possible anytime soon when really I have to submit my SIR as fast as I can :(. Which means I have to decide without having a chance to really see davis. But anyways thankyou so much for sharing about UCD. At this point I can really use some information from people who's been in Davis so I can picture what it looks or how it feels like to live there. Just so i can compare davis to sandiego.

I went to UC Davis undergrad (from so cal, so about a 7.5 hr drive), and I seriously don't regret anything about my decision. Its the largest UC and the the town is literally a stereotypical college town. The campus is toward the middle, adjacent to an adorable, but happening, downtown with tons of stuff to do and cool restaurants. The dorms I stayed in freshman yr were one of the newer buildings, so I really lucked out, but even the older dorms my friends were in were pretty nice. The number one thing I miss about Davis is everyone was sooooo nice. Although it's a college town and students rule haha, it's lots of families also live here so you get the suburb perks too. Every Saturday there is a farmers market in downtown where you can pick up some local produce, eat some awesome food and a lot of the time, listen to some live music. Its a 15 min drive from sac ( and if youre premed, one of the best hospitals in CA) -- i did several internships here including in the operating room, which most programs dont let you do. Anyways.... I love this school and could brag for hours ;) but I was also accepted under biochem major , but later changed to biological sciences my junior yr. If you have questions, feel free to PM and I'd be happy to tell you more!