UCD vs UCSD (pre-med)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

matthewwongym

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
This isn’t a med school decision problem but I figured it is similar.

I am a transfer student and I got offers from UCD and UCSD both for their molecular biology programs. I wonder which is a better school to prepare my med school application.

UC Davis
+ Close to my home (1 hour drive)
- Good bio program but not as good as UCSD’s?

UC San Diego
+ Better rankings (both overall and for my major, although UCD occasionally ranks higher than UCSD in some rankings)
+ Renown for its science majors
- Gf got waitlisted for UCSD and accepted for UCD

Tie
+ Both have a lot of affiliated hospitals that I can work/volunteer in as an undergrad. SD is a bigger city than Davis but there are plenty of opportunities in Sacramento too.
+ Been to both cities+campuses. I like them both.

Can anyone give me advice on how I should choose between these two schools, and let me know what other important aspects that I might missed.

Members don't see this ad.

Tbh, it probably doesn’t matter at all in terms of influencing med school. Go to whichever one you’ll be happier at

Reactions: 1 user
lol I am in the same situation as you and didn't find any helpful answers here.

I end up talking to current students at each school and met some of the graduates from most of the UC's that I got accepted to (UCLA, UCI,UCD,UCSD and etc). Thus now I am leaning toward Davis for biochem, I am from San Diego so I really don't know how is the people up in NorCal especially in Davis area. But I hope it will turn out good.:highfive:

My last choice is the vibe of each campus .........