Ucd

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Have any of you guys started to consider health insurance for Ireland? I've looked at a few companies and VH1 appears to be good value but covers only public hospitals (can't imagine this being a problem since some of the UCD affiliated hospitals are public).... Payment is direct debit - I presume this is from an bank in Ireland and doesn't apply for those in the US or CAN like Chase and Royal Bank...Is this correct?

See everyone in a few weeks! :thumbup:

A.

Also, after logging onto the SIS site, I noticed there is still a 12.60Euro balance outstanding for tuition...even though my payment through Royal Bank was for the exact Euro amount quoted by ABP and UCD - I presume this is due to the exchange rate....how is everyone handling this? Additional payment? Personally, I think since I have the receipt from the bank making the full payment at that time, exchange rate or not, the full payment was made.....

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
As for health insurance, VHI can cost at lease 550 euro per year. Dont know if you got the UCD email but if you non-EU student you can get insurance through MediCover (O'Driscoll O'Neil Limited) as a UCD student for 120 euro. My jaw dropped when I saw this since I assumed to be paying insurance up to 600 euro (plus the rates keep increasing every year..).

Now I can use that extra money on my liver ;)

As for health insurance, VHI can cost at lease 550 euro per year. Dont know if you got the UCD email but if you non-EU student you can get insurance through MediCover (O'Driscoll O'Neil Limited) as a UCD student for 120 euro. My jaw dropped when I saw this since I assumed to be paying insurance up to 600 euro (plus the rates keep increasing every year..).

Now I can use that extra money on my liver ;)

Unfortunately, only got the email last evening....and welcome packet is currently sitting at UCD for pickup. So.... I'm going to try and cancel my VHI insurance and see if I can avoid penalty fees :mad: Seeing as how I only purchased it less than 48 hours ago....

A.

Members don't see this ad :)
i found quinn healthcare for 418 euro/year. Do you guys know if medicover applies to rcsi students as well? (the discount)

Last edited:
Nah think its only for UCD since they require student number. Anyway give them a ring and maybe they can do a deal. I would assume they can do something for cheaper than VHI, Aviva and Quinn if they giving UCD students such a discount. Needless to say the people beside me in the office are very jealous that I can get such a great deal as non-EU student :)

Sorry again about posting late A, I was busy finishing the thesis so I got rid of my bookmark so I wouldnt be distracted! But Id say you can cancel without much problem.

OK, so all cancelled with VHI and purchased ODON - literally a chasm difference in price :thumbup:, now comes the waiting and follow up

SuperDoc, I don't think ODON has a formal agreement with RCSI (noticed that the url for UCD is odon.ie/ucd, tried substituting with odon.ie/rcsi and came up with an error). You could always do as kermicrzy and give them a ring...

A.

I called ODON and they told me they dont have RCSI in their file and cannot give me any student discount. So I guess its 418euro/year for me.

Just buy insurance in Canada.

I checked some of the plans and they are pretty much the same price. Are there any specific ones you know of that will be cheaper?

Try Cooperators and Blue Cross. I had Cooperators which about $1/day.

what are some interesting/easy-ish electives? I wanted to take spanish but it's the same time as all of my classes :( what are some that you guys took? Thanks in advance.

Edit: sorry I saw you were doing 6 year program, not grad entry.

Ignore reply!

Guys, I plan to apply to this school this year, but I noticed tuition is around 40k euro a year. I live in the US and that is like 70K USD for tuition. How do you guys afford that?

With serious bank loans and the bank of mom & dad.

Guys, I plan to apply to this school this year, but I noticed tuition is around 40k euro a year. I live in the US and that is like 70K USD for tuition. How do you guys afford that?

If you have an EFC of 0 - the Fed gov will cover all expenses roughly 85K-USD/yr worth. Albeit, only 8,500 of that is subsidized till after graduation...the rest has a nice hefty apr of 6.8% (i.e. in Illinois).

A.

student loans, fafsa. yeeppp. Definitely apply though!