UCDavis Class of 2010

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
pattayapus said:
hey guys, congrats! i'm glad to hear you're all nervous too, and i would definitely like to make friends before school starts! it'll make the transition so much easier, for me at least. we should all go to sacramento and meet up with pearlbo, or you should come to sf and visit me!! heh i'm serious, let me know.

are you all looking for housing already? dr bera said something about avoiding south of broadway areas. i just want to live near downtown, where there's a 24fitness. if i don't have a gym i'll go nuts.

Yeah...stay far far away.. just kidding..Please do check out sacramento craigslist and check out east sacramento...it's close to downtown but very very safe and homely like....Midtown is good too...but it's hit or miss with each street; one street will be great, the next block will be kind of shady. The arden area is not the best..you have to deal with traffic on I-80 business that is clogged up from 4:30-6:30 M-F ..in addition, the greenhaven/pocket area is a bit older..very safe and quiet/boring. It's kind of away from the fun parts of sac.. So is the Natomas area..this is the new development area that you can find a lot of houses (a lot of people have bought property the last 5 years and rent out)..this area is very sterile and suburban..but safe and quiet.

Hope this helps to all of you looking for a place :) If you're looking for a place in davis, i can help you too...lived in all parts of davis and loved it :)

Members don't see this ad.

hey pearlbo, meeting up before hand sounds like a great idea, im moving out there around june 15th or so, but am backpacking/climbing shasta near july so will be gone a few weeks arround then, but yea, lets figure out something so as many of us new first years can get together and also meet some of the current MS1s before classes start, i wont know anyone in the area so i will be eager to get out of the house, backpacking in asia huh? yea im jealous

pearlbo said:
Pattayapus and Lobster MD or anyone else!!!! Let's totally meet up before stuff hits the fan...I will be backpacking through Asia late june/early July and am totally free anytime before or after my trip..It will be really nice to see some familiar faces at orientation...which by the way; does anyone know what happens during orientation? Do we get initiated dazed and confused style? What are we supposed to wear the first day? no flip flops? just wondering...thanks!

Orientation week is a lot of logistical stuff, presentations, etc. If i remember our orientation week correctly, we had a welcome breakfast, took pictures for our ID's (they provide the white coat for it, but you can't keep it), and had a bunch of lectures on financial aid, HIPAA (sp?), professionalism, the student-run clinics, research, etc. You get your locker, locker combo, (yup, just like high school!) and mailbox assignments, set up your email if you haven't already done that. The deans come and talk to you too and bring lots of warm fuzzies to your spririt. There's a welcome lecture about anatomy and anatomy lab and the supplies you'll need to provide - basically, scalpel blades (you can get them at the bookstore), gloves (i recommend getting nitrile and latex and doing a latex-over-nitrile bit during lab. confer with other classmates about getting things together in bulk to save money), and aprons if you want. You also sign up for anatomy groups. You get to know the people in your college pretty well since they tend to break you into groups according to college. The retreat at the end of the week is a lot of fun, lots of bonding happens there, and the nights are usually free during the week to hang out around Davis (Sophia's, Sudwerk's, etc)

Oh, and a tip....try not to get the smelly room for anatomy lab (if the setup will be the same as last year)....tables 1-12 had the downdraft tables (in the not-so-smelly room) while the other groups were in the "elephant" (more smelly) room. Yeah, you get used to the smell, but I was in the downdraft room and there was a difference when we looked at bodies in the other room. Don't buy books yet because we'll be sending you the Disorientation Manual in the next few weeks (which will have tips on which books to get/not get), and your big sib may have books/flashcards to give you too.

You'll probably have to email Terri about a random fact about yourself, and during orientation week there's that icebreaker about matching people with their random fact. the person that gets the most last year got a gift certificate to the bookstore.

Wear whatever's comfortable, it's gonna be hot!

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks so much Nairay....your comments are really helpful!

I've checked up on a lot of sites and see the advantages of getting/using a tablet pc...however, do you think it's good for UCD SOM's cirriculum? Thanks!

pearlbo said:
I've checked up on a lot of sites and see the advantages of getting/using a tablet pc...however, do you think it's good for UCD SOM's cirriculum? Thanks!

Being able to write on powerpoint slides will be awesome. Almost all lectures will be provided in PDF format at the beginning of the quarter and in PowerPoint right before lectures. So having a tablet PC will definitely be useful.

Hi there!

Congrats to you guys that got into UCD! :) I was just wondering if any of you are looking for used furniture? I'm in Davis right now but will be moving out at the end of July, so I need to clear out some things from my apartment. PM if you're interested?

I am Waitlisted still!
I am going to another school this fall, but Davis hasn't said No yet.... Is there anyone else in my situation too? My main concerns are finding a place to live if I get accepted later. Let me know, feel free to PM!

i'm top-half waitlisted too. It seems like the waitlist isn't moving at all! Everyone that gets accepted ends up going.. I'm not concerned about the living situation right now.. I guess my biggest concern is that I won't get into Davis.

I'm going to Europe for a few weeks so I'll be waiting for that phone call from Terri. Good luck everyone. I hope i have good news in a few weeks.

Hi everyone!
Well, I have some news on the waitlist. I was on it yesterday until I got a call from the Admissions Office about my Acceptance! Wahoo!!! :D

Wahoo is right! ;) Welcome!!

MissMichellie said:
Hi everyone!
Well, I have some news on the waitlist. I was on it yesterday until I got a call from the Admissions Office about my Acceptance! Wahoo!!! :D

Congrats everyone! Look forward to meeting some of you come August. Get ready for some serious heat since it just broke 100 degress this week. Expect a hot first few months of school. Again, congrats and enjoy your last carefree summer....ever! :eek:

congrats michellie!! when did you interview? Was it Terri that called you?? I really want to go to Davis.. it's my dream!! I am a little worried about the new curriculum and construction though.. Hopefully it all works out!! Well, I am going to be hoping for that phone call!!

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey is anybody still looking for a roommate? I got in off the waitlist about a month ago and have been struggling with the housing situation. From what I've heard/seen, the new med school is far from completion, so I think I'm gonna live in Davis... I'll be moving there hopefully very soon (upon finding a place and roommate), so let me know if you are interested!

firebird69guy said:
congrats michellie!! when did you interview? Was it Terri that called you?? I really want to go to Davis.. it's my dream!! I am a little worried about the new curriculum and construction though.. Hopefully it all works out!! Well, I am going to be hoping for that phone call!!

Why thank you!! I interviewed at the very end of April. Ed called me.

The new curriculum isn't drastically different. We will be learning the same material, just formatted and presented a little different. And I am looking forward to the new buildings...its exciting to be the first class to begin using new, modern classrooms and labs!

Good luck, I'll keep my fingers crossed for you firebird!

Hey there,
Does anyone happen to know the pass/fail rate and average score for the USMLE Step 1 in 2005 for Davis? A little early I know, but I am actually oscilating between here and another school and the other school had a 100% Pass rate for '05, whereas in 2004 Davis didn't. Couldn't find the results anywhere, but maybe I am just looking in the wrong place. Thanks!

I Just Got In!!!! I Cant Wait To Meet All Of You Guys!! We're Gonna Have A Great Time!!! Wohooo!!!!

firebird69guy said:
I Just Got In!!!! I Cant Wait To Meet All Of You Guys!! We're Gonna Have A Great Time!!! Wohooo!!!!

FREAKING AWESOME!!!!!!!! CONGRATS man. You totally deserve it!! Enjoy your trip!!

Uegis said:
FREAKING AWESOME!!!!!!!! CONGRATS man. You totally deserve it!! Enjoy your trip!!

Thanks Uegis.. and also, thanks for all your help the last few months with my questions.

Is anyone planning on living in Sac? I looked at some houses today near the med center. I hope that classes will be held in Sac in January. Anyone have an update on this?

It's time to hit up Sophia's.. TKO night =)

hey firebird, congrats, im living in sac, got a small house to myself near the med center on 56th between V and 2nd which i love, i know they arent promising anything, but the admin still says moving to the city in jan., either way i like sac more than davis, and the free shuttle will be fine by me for a while, besides there will probably be a bunch of us MS1s on it each day, anyone else in sac yet? i was thinking we should all get together before July 31st? break the ice and make the whole transition a bit easier i would think, anyone interested? maybe some food, drinks, something.....

congrats to everyone getting off the waitlist! :)

I wouldn't worry about housing if you get off the list, there should be plenty available in Davis during the summer, and I'm finally getting off my lazy bum to seriously look at housing in Sac for the fall. There may be things available until january (undergrads going abroad needing to sublet, etc), so be on the lookout for those if you want to stay in Davis while school's in Davis. also, there are some people advertising housing available on the class webpage message boards. definitely check those out.

enjoy the summer, it's supposed to be 103 today!

lobster M.D. said:
hey firebird, congrats, im living in sac, got a small house to myself near the med center on 56th between V and 2nd which i love, i know they arent promising anything, but the admin still says moving to the city in jan., either way i like sac more than davis, and the free shuttle will be fine by me for a while, besides there will probably be a bunch of us MS1s on it each day, anyone else in sac yet? i was thinking we should all get together before July 31st? break the ice and make the whole transition a bit easier i would think, anyone interested? maybe some food, drinks, something.....

I don't know.. My mommy tells me never ever ever meet online strangers.

dude i'll be living nearby! I'll most likely take the shuttle to class too. I'm down for drinks, although my schedule is pretty hectic until July 17. I work graves now, and this thursday am leaving for Europe. After I get back I'll be free to meet up, despite my mother's many warnings. I know of some really cool places to hang out in Sac. Streets of London is a great place with a wide variety of unique brews (they also get their full liquor license on July 15). It'll be cool to meet some of you before classes start and life gets hectic again. Fun times!

firebird69guy said:

CONGRATULATIONS!!! See you on July 31st! Have a great time in Europe!

Hey everybody

Me and another MS1 found a nice place in Sac on U st. just 2 blocks from the new med school. We are looking for one more roommate. We are 2 guys willing to live with a guy or girl. Rent will be around $430. The place is 3 bedroom 2 bath. We will be commuting to Davis together. Just PM me if you're interested.

buuuuuuuuuuummmmmmmmmmmmm.........p

lobster M.D. said:
looks like a bunch of us are going to meet up this sunday, if your interested in food or drinks and seeing who you have to deal with for the next four years then come on down, check the message boards for more info

http://cim.ucdavis.edu/classpages/2010/msgboard/index.html

hope to see you all there

Hey! I couldn't make the get together tonight (sunday).. I'm still working graves... I just moved into my place on 59th! It was rough moving in that 113 degree heat.. I'm still hurting from it. Now I'm just putting around the place and trying to sort through boxes and furniture.. ugh. Also, I'm acquiring a decent, unused foosball table for those stressful times. It will go right next to the bar in my living room. =)

Ha...just checking to see if people still checked messages here....I guess you are :)

pearlbo said:
Ha...just checking to see if people still checked messages here....I guess you are :)

Hello Pearl. Why aren't you studying for physiology tomorrow? BAD PEARL!! BAD GIRL!! BAD!!!!

xoxo 2S4MS