UCF's new College of Medicine

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

kronickm

even par.
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
As I am sure many of you already know University of Central Florida is opening a new medical school in Orlando in either 2008 or 2009.

I am curious how many of you would go to a medical school in its first year of existence? UCF is certainly a very respectable university so I imagine that it would have to be taken seriously.
(Side note: Any Florida State Med grads comments would be greatly appreciated)

Please post your opinions, questions, comments, anything.

I should note that they are planning to give the entire first year class a full ride throughout med school...how would that affect your decision?

Members don't see this ad.

You can bet it'll be pretty competitive then. However, there are several trade-offs. It takes a while for a med school to find it's "groove". You're essentially being paid to be a guinea pig and work kinks out of the system (first year only though). When it comes for the second, third, and fourth classes entering, they won't have the money issue to entice them to come or the proven record of sending students where they want to go.

good stuff gujudoc...inside info about florida that I as a new yorker turn philadelphier had no idea about.

Members don't see this ad :)
hey, a full ride in med school is pretty much unheard of. I'd take the chance. I thought they would open the fall of '08. I think now estimates are around '09. I remember so many other students at usf talking about it. It seems they'll have a really nice program. As a side note, I wish other schools would issue a laptop and pda like fsu. Those toshiba protege notebooks are nice. I'm thinking about getting one regardless of where I go. Just have to wait a bit to find out which operating system, etc.

UCF recruited Dr. Richard Peppler (aka PEP) from UTHSC as their dean. He is an awesome dean who will do amazing things and turn UCF into a top rate school. He is a huge student advocate and works hard to ensure that his students are well taken care of.

Anyone worried about working the kinks out as new school can rest assured that PEP has done this before (he was the first dean at ETSU before he came to UT) and that he will work tirelessly on behalf of the students to ensure a great experience.

You guys are going to be very lucky to have him on your side.

As I am sure many of you already know University of Central Florida is opening a new medical school in Orlando in either 2008 or 2009.

I am curious how many of you would go to a medical school in its first year of existence? UCF is certainly a very respectable university so I imagine that it would have to be taken seriously.
(Side note: Any Florida State Med grads comments would be greatly appreciated)

Please post your opinions, questions, comments, anything.

I should note that they are planning to give the entire first year class a full ride throughout med school...how would that affect your decision?
Assuming UCF successfully becomes accredited (and also assuming that I weren't already in med school :p ), you better believe I would have applied there and given it serious consideration. And yes, the free tuition would be a huge draw to me. I've got news for you; all med schools have "kinks" no matter how old they are. There's no such thing as a utopia out there. The way I see it, if a school would be willing to take a chance on me, who am I to decide a priori not to give them a fair look in return?

Assuming UCF successfully becomes accredited (and also assuming that I weren't already in med school :p ), you better believe I would have applied there and given it serious consideration. And yes, the free tuition would be a huge draw to me. I've got news for you; all med schools have "kinks" no matter how old they are. There's no such thing as a utopia out there. The way I see it, if a school would be willing to take a chance on me, who am I to decide a priori not to give them a fair look in return?

Thanx Q.

As an update the LCME team has completed visits to UCF and FIU in the last coupla weeks. Both schools should hear something sometime in Feb 08. Both are hoping for a positive response so that they can begin the process of recruiting for their initial class - both looking toward seating that group in August 09.

Will UCF's med school only accept Florida residents like FSU? I am sure that there will be a huge preference given to Florida residents just like the other state schools do, especially with the full ride situation. Any thoughts?

Will UCF's med school only accept Florida residents like FSU? I am sure that there will be a huge preference given to Florida residents just like the other state schools do, especially with the full ride situation. Any thoughts?

As a Florida resident, I hope so!! LOL

New MD Programs in Florida, UCF has received preliminary accreditation from the LCME. This means that both programs have passed the first accreditation hurdle and can begin to recruit and post requirements and conduct med school admissions business. The next accreditation steps will come during the second year (Provisional Accreditation) of the curriculum and just prior to the initial class graduation (Full Accreditation).

UCF will change our COM web site in the next few hours?days? to reflect admissions requirements and process. Please visit www.med.ucf.edu.

Since the UCF COM Admissions is only me for the next few weeks, please consider the following:
- See if your questions are answered by the web site (in a day or two)
- Send an email inquiry to [email protected]. This will keep me "on task" and will allow you to receive a written response to your inquiry.

Hints:
- Take MCAT in 2008
- Begin AMCAS app May/June 2008; submit it by August 08 (Deadline will be Dec 1, but if you meet this deadline you have missed a significant portion of the interview cycle!!!)
- Interviews occur Sep - March

I wonder what the status will be of people who went to UCF for undergrad...preferred/not preferred/doesn't make a difference?

Cause I went there and would love to go back.

Members don't see this ad :)
I won't be applying to this new school how ever I will be applying to the proposed school in Scranton. For the time and effort that has been put into both school I think it is relatively safe to say that neither is going to leave students out to dry. To get provisional (I think?) accredidation it takes a lot of time and effort. The facult being recruited to Scranton has a strong background in academia medicine. This comforts me, knowing many faculty members have been in this 10, 15, and even some, 50 years. The name recognition may be the only issue. However, there are well established medical schools that have regional recognition only. Sure, Scranton or USF may need to get to that point, but I don't see why they can't. Scranton will probably be fairly low on my list of schools to attend if accepted, however if it is the only choice I will definitely attend. I recently watched a program with the Dean and he really sold me on the idea of this school. You need to look into the partnerships as well. Scranton and USF I'm sure will be making regional partnerships with great hospitals and other universities. Also, if you're ready "for the challenge" think of this as an opportunity to be the founding class of a great institution. Your opinion will matter greatly and you will have reason to have immense pride in your alma mater.

Is this all a bit risky? Maybe. However, the rewards will pay off greatly when you have your degree.

I won't be applying to this new school how ever I will be applying to the proposed school in Scranton. For the time and effort that has been put into both school I think it is relatively safe to say that neither is going to leave students out to dry. To get provisional (I think?) accredidation it takes a lot of time and effort. The facult being recruited to Scranton has a strong background in academia medicine. This comforts me, knowing many faculty members have been in this 10, 15, and even some, 50 years. The name recognition may be the only issue. However, there are well established medical schools that have regional recognition only. Sure, Scranton or USF may need to get to that point, but I don't see why they can't. Scranton will probably be fairly low on my list of schools to attend if accepted, however if it is the only choice I will definitely attend. I recently watched a program with the Dean and he really sold me on the idea of this school. You need to look into the partnerships as well. Scranton and USF I'm sure will be making regional partnerships with great hospitals and other universities. Also, if you're ready "for the challenge" think of this as an opportunity to be the founding class of a great institution. Your opinion will matter greatly and you will have reason to have immense pride in your alma mater.

Is this all a bit risky? Maybe. However, the rewards will pay off greatly when you have your degree.

Clearly your references to "USF" were meant to be "UCF."

The hospital affiliations there are nearly done putting the entire Orlando Regional Healthcare and Florida Hospital system (15 hospitals), as well as the future new VA, a Nemours Childrens, and if I understand correctly a very recent edition of the MD Anderson from what I just heard. In additional the medical city being built for UCF will include both the Burnett Biomed Research and a new Burnham Institute facility. Clinical med will be extremely strong in this very diversy central Florida setting.

Clearly your references to "USF" were meant to be "UCF."

The hospital affiliations there are nearly done putting the entire Orlando Regional Healthcare and Florida Hospital system (15 hospitals), as well as the future new VA, a Nemours Childrens, and if I understand correctly a very recent edition of the MD Anderson from what I just heard. In additional the medical city being built for UCF will include both the Burnett Biomed Research and a new Burnham Institute facility. Clinical med will be extremely strong in this very diversy central Florida setting.

I would give my right toe to get into UCF's inaugural class! MD Anderson is awesome! :thumbup:

I would give my right toe to get into UCF's inaugural class! MD Anderson is awesome! :thumbup:

Ill give all 10 to get in for sure, everything about the school seems wonderful so far, its headed in a great direction and I hope (as many seem too :))to be a part of it all!!!

Holy crap....after seeing my $100,000 and accruing med school loans....I am so jealous of free tuition!

REL,
I've been checking the web site to see if the prereqs will include anything outside the typical 2/2/2/2. It's not yet updated. I emailed yesterday, and received a generic return email message. Can you please tell us if the prereqs have been set?

Thanks a lot,
AKN

REL,
I've been checking the web site to see if the prereqs will include anything outside the typical 2/2/2/2. It's not yet updated. I emailed yesterday, and received a generic return email message. Can you please tell us if the prereqs have been set?

Thanks a lot,
AKN

Web site will be up by the end of the day on Monday. Minimums are 24 MCAT, 3.0 overall and science GPA's to be competitive. Like all schools we'll be looking for those who appear to have the motivation, etc. We'll also be looking for those special applicants who have achieved to a very high level at something or are very dedicated to something. This first pool of applicants will be interesting.

Just wanted to say UCF is lucky to have you, REL, there! For anyone that's going to apply and deal with admissions people, Mr. Larkin will probably be among the best you'll deal with. Had the pleasure of talking with him a couple times while he was at USF and up at a pre-med event we did each year at FSU.

I have no doubts UCF will create a great program. I'm originally from Orlando (still have family there) and was kinda sad UCF hadn't gotten started when I applied a while ago.

Will be interesting to see how the clinical partnerships work out in a few years once UCF is putting a 100 or so students out in clinicals, especially with Orlando being a popular location for FSU's 3rd/4th years.

The free tuition is huge though, should be interesting to see the class that forms this year.

Web site will be up by the end of the day on Monday. Minimums are 24 MCAT, 3.0 overall and science GPA's to be competitive. Like all schools we'll be looking for those who appear to have the motivation, etc. We'll also be looking for those special applicants who have achieved to a very high level at something or are very dedicated to something. This first pool of applicants will be interesting.

REL, thanks for the info :)

I am curious how many of you would go to a medical school in its first year of existence?

believe the biggest and most obvious incentive for this new school will be that the inaugural class will each receive a full ride scholarship as the school/community have been raising funds over the past year for these 40 scholarships. (no bills? wow!)

also, throw in the fact that the school has already attracted some very nice neighbors to this new med complex being built like: Nemors Childrens Hospital, MD Anderson Cancer Center, Burnham Insitutute, new VAMC, plus obvious med organizations moving to that area as well.

rome wasn't built in a day but got to like the direction this new school is heading.

I lived in Orlando over the summer and had the opportunity to talk to a man that's writing some of the curriculum for the new UCF med school. He told me that UCF will be focusing on 4 separate aspects, if you will, of doctors. A research based, a clinical, doctors focused on underserved populations, and one other aspect. I was wondering if any of you had heard of such a thing, and if so, exactly what they are. If so, this would be an amazing opportunity to get a focus, and maybe even actual experience in the more specific aspect of why we are all going into medicine to begin with!

I've been waiting for this school since they first announced the funding. Good luck to all of us that are applying for the coveted 40, free tuition or not.

The free ride is HUGE! And I'm pretty sure this is going to be a quality school, SOON. I actually very briefly considered the possiblility of reapplying next year just to have a shot at the scholarship. I bet they will get some high quality applicants. Any bet next year's avg MCAT at UCF is in the 32-33 range?

so what happens if you go here, and the school doesn't get accredited? What are the scenarios?

so what happens if you go here, and the school doesn't get accredited? What are the scenarios?

If it doesn't get accredited then you're out of luck - no degree. I don't see any reason why UCF would not get accredited, but I'd certainly be concerned.

Do you honestly think there's any chance for non state residents? I'm not talking about super stars but average med school applicants. Should I bother applying? :(

actually, from what i heard they are not giving any preference to in-state students. They want the brightest, best applicants from around the country. Although they are state funded they believe they can get more than enough money from the orlando area and hence can afford to lose the money the state would give them. If i were you, i would definitely apply.

Who would "character recommendations" be good from? Does this mean volunteer coordinators, PIs, etc. or does it mean my best friend's mother who's known me or 15 years?

I'm interested to hear more about UCF's medical school if anyone can provide more...

I'm interested to hear more about UCF's medical school if anyone can provide more...

Well, they are starting this year with an inaugural class of 40 students all with full scholarships including living expenses- they got a really good class if you go by the numbers. According to a reliable source on SDN, the average numbers for Florida schools (GPA / MCAT) as of the end of April were as follows.

FIU: 3.51/31.1
FSU: 3.60/29.1
UCF: 3.79/32.8
UF: 3.74/33.1
UM: 3.66/32.1
USF: 3.71/31.6

But keep in mind that this is before everyone moves around on the May 15th deadline, so many students are counted at some or most of these schools multiple times I think.

Next year, I'm betting they won't be able to offer that many full scholarships, so possibly their second class ('14) won't be quite so competitive. They'll be fully accredited in 2013 most likely.