UChicago/BIDMC/Hopkins

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

brainsalads

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey I am having a tough time deciding how to rank my list. I have a good idea of places I really liked, but I would love some feedback. I really liked Boston and BIDMC, they had a bunch of fellowships and pretty high volume. I know its not as "prestigous" according to some blogs here as MGH or BWH, but it seemed pretty solid, and the chair had lots of vision.
UChicago is the best training of all the chicago programs and I'd be doing research there (sigh) but maybe being forced into would help for fellowships. And then theres Hopkins, I wasnt keen on Baltimore and it seemed that they worked till 11 pm some nights, but you come out being Hopkins-trained which will give me job security forever. Any thoughts people? Here are the other places I interviewd,

UAB, MUSC, Emory, UNC, MCG, Minnessota, Yale, Northwestern

Members don't see this ad.

Hey I am having a tough time deciding how to rank my list. I have a good idea of places I really liked, but I would love some feedback. I really liked Boston and BIDMC, they had a bunch of fellowships and pretty high volume. I know its not as "prestigous" according to some blogs here as MGH or BWH, but it seemed pretty solid, and the chair had lots of vision.
UChicago is the best training of all the chicago programs and I'd be doing research there (sigh) but maybe being forced into would help for fellowships. And then theres Hopkins, I wasnt keen on Baltimore and it seemed that they worked till 11 pm some nights, but you come out being Hopkins-trained which will give me job security forever. Any thoughts people? Here are the other places I interviewd,

UAB, MUSC, Emory, UNC, MCG, Minnessota, Yale, Northwestern

As someone outside the Harvard ecosystem (or, should I say, egosystem), I'd say that BIDMC has a fine reputation and I don't think it'd significantly limit you in terms of fellowships.

brainsalads,

you know, people bring up this idea of "post-residency placement' as THE factor in choosing a place, and I tend to disagree. yeah, i am not in residency (matching this year) so maybe i have no idea what i am talking about, but it seems like out of the places you mentioned if you were to form close ties with a few well-known faculty that could vouch for you throughout residency, then it could take you farther than the name of one place or research at another place. having said that, it comes down to more personal characteristics of a program and where you think you would fit in the best - the gut feeling, etc, etc...

but i understand your dilemma, as time wears on i am forgetting that gut feeling for places and starting to think about objective criteria like the ones you mentioned.

i didnt apply to U of C or Hopkins, but I liked BIDMC - especially the dedicated preview day, research laxity, large, non-malignant atmosphere. think about your education and where you think you will be in the best position to learn most effectively.

tough decision, aint it?

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
UChicago had a definately more laid-back feel, but personality wise im different than the other residents. Thats okay I guess, chicago is a big city. Boston had a real cool feel to it. Both have dermpath, so thats a plus

I would rank JHU #1. People from Baltimore seem to like their city. So if you think you would be happy there, there is no way you could come out of their without great training and great career options no matter what your goals were.

Last edited: