UChicago vs Emory vs Baylor

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

rhinoman22

Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I would see if Emory can match U Chicago. If they can I'd go to Emory for P/F. If not sounds like Chicago.

I'm sorry about Baylor. Such a ridiculous process. If Baylor truly had confidence in their Temple location they should just make it that you apply to Temple, Houston, or both. Last year I prematched at both UTSW and Baylor and I just wasn't going to play Baylor’s little game so I said no thanks to them and went with UTSW - although I ended up leaving Texas anyways.

Baylor’s Campus selection process seems almost coercive for Texas students that drop all other potential Texas prematches/match prospects and then after that find out if they get stuck in a place they don't want. I'm sure you'd still get a great education there at Temple but it's going to be a notable difference between Houston and Temple in terms of experience.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
I would see if Emory can match U Chicago. If they can I'd go to Emory for P/F. If not sounds like Chicago.

I'm sorry about Baylor. Such a ridiculous process. If Baylor truly had confidence in their Temple location they should just make it that you apply to Temple, Houston, or both. Last year I prematched at both UTSW and Baylor and I just wasn't going to play Baylor’s little game so I said no thanks to them and went with UTSW - although I ended up leaving Texas anyways.

Baylor’s Campus selection process seems almost coercive for Texas students that drop all other potential Texas prematches/match prospects and then after that find out if they get stuck in a place they don't want. I'm sure you'd still get a great education there at Temple but it's going to be a notable difference between Houston and Temple.
@MercifulCamper why choose to leave Texas for medical school, and then come back to bash Texas schools? It's getting old, for me.
Other well known schools have several branches - Mayo, U Chicago, Indiana, and others. One location is always more popular, but that doesn't make the school any less, and doesn't make their campus assignment "coercive".

• Love
  • Hmm
Reactions: 4 users
Members don't see this ad :)
@MercifulCamper why choose to leave Texas for medical school, and then come back to bash Texas schools? It's getting old, for me.
Other well known schools have several branches - Mayo, U Chicago, Indiana, and others. One location is always more popular, but that doesn't make the school any less, and doesn't make their campus assignment "coercive".
OP, my perspective aligns with many others from last year's applicant pool. My rant in my previous post was to advocate for students who lack leverage in this situation, emphasizing the need for Baylor to reevaluate their campus selection process. OP does have leverage, but some who were placed at Temple likely do not have leverage. In my last post I wanted to recognize that OP's disappointment in not receiving their preferred placement at Baylor is valid and understandable.

Regarding @wysdoc's comments, I want to clarify that my criticisms have been specific to Baylor's campus selection process, not a general critique of Texas medical schools. I used the term "almost coercive" to describe Baylor's approach, and I acknowledge that it was a charged choice of words. What I intended to convey is that the process restricts students' choices, particularly post-Texas match, which, in my opinion, is a concern worth addressing and amplifying.

The fact that institutions like Mayo and Indiana employ similar practices doesn't justify them. Baylor, as a premier medical school, will continue to attract applicants, but their admissions process could be more transparent and empowering for students, allowing them to make informed decisions about their campus preferences.

If I sounded bitter in my last post, it is because I am. The medical school application process chews you up and spits you out. It's a dehumanizing process, and I don't appreciate it when schools play games through lotteries, especially after you've decided to withdraw some of your other choices. Sure, students have the option not to enter that lottery like I decided not to, but my position is that those lotteries should not even exist. Just allow students to apply to the campus where they would be comfortable living. It is such an easy fix.

---------------------------

Although unrelated to OP's situation, the rest of this response addresses @wysdoc's accusation that I've been critical of Texas medical schools. Questioning UTSW or other schools' H/HP/P/F clerkship grading system and the AOA's competitiveness/criteria at medical schools across the country - including those in Texas - does not equate to denigrating these institutions; instead, it offers a candid perspective for prospective students. Similarly, highlighting the restrictive health policies in Texas for immigrants, women, and LGBTQ folks isn't a criticism of the state's medical schools but a consideration for applicants who value a certain quality of life and inclusivity in their educational environment.

I also need to acknowledge that this conversation and my perspective reeks of privilege. Many do not have the possibilities or financial stability that I had. I was fortunate enough to choose the best school that worked for my needs. I also acknowledge that some of these critiques may make some feel like I'm pointing out flaws at their schools, but ultimately, any medical school can get you where you want to go. If you are reading this and feeling that way, you should be proud to have gotten even into one medical school - most applicants don't. But because of my privilege, I now have clarity about how crappy this process is, how tough medical school is, and I will keep advocating for students in the future, giving them my perspective so they choose the best choice for them. I stand by my words and will not apologize for them, even if they are getting old. I hope you understand my perspective better now, @wysdoc

• Wow
Reactions: 5 users
I truly do not understand your bitterness, as you turned down Baylor for a full ride at UTSW and then turned that down too.
You chased the prestige I guess, has it made you happy?
You are entitled to your opinion and I won't confront you more on it, but I wanted to comment on how you come across with the bashing of Baylor.

I truly do not understand your bitterness, as you turned down Baylor for a full ride at UTSW and then turned that down too.
You chased the prestige I guess, has it made you happy?
I mentor several of students for free going through this process and see how mentally draining and taxing it can be. Seeing/hearing them breakdown in tears in front of me or over the phone about this process is what makes me bitter. People deserve to be treated better. Some pay thousands of dollars to apply to just get rejected everywhere without a reply about how they could have improved. This process makes us work so hard, dedicate many hours of our life to this pursuit, and sacrifice a lot, which ultimately leads to a lot of applicants tying their self worth to their admissions outcomes. You know, you've been such an advocate yourself on here for students helping them navigate this process @wysdoc.

I don't think I chased prestige as much as my specific needs but I would be lying if the prestige of my school didn't have any sway! I'm happy with my decision so far.

Just to throw in my two cents on this (sorry for derailing the thread further), I think that the reason many are unhappy with the process is that at least for Mayo (I am unaware of the process at U chicago or Indiana), you are able to pick your campus before you have to make a decision. For TX residents who are hoping to stay in TX, they have to decide without all of the information. This is different from Mayo for example, who allows you to pick your campus in their secondary so you are 100% aware of what you are going to get from the beginning.

While this did not impact me personally, I would imagine it is very difficult for those who were planning to stay in TX/ Houston and were simply assigned to go somewhere else. I do think the process feels somewhat coercive and I would like to see a change of some kind. Again, just like @MercifulCamper this comes from a place of privilege where I was able to choose an OOS school personally.

As far as this X Vs. Y, I think Emory (Edit: probably UChicago dependent on aid from Emory!) seem like the best choices here OP good luck!

Last edited:
Reactions: 4 users
I’m reading this and I am surprised people are saying Emory (and I love Emory). But comparable prestige at Uchicago with it being WAY cheaper. Moreover, OP, you stated that you LOVE Chicago and its mission. Seems like you made up your mind, but are just seeking assurance from others of your choice.

Reactions: 2 users
It's Texas jealousy... :)

haters gonna hate GIF

Sure it could be other things, but I like the GIF.

To OP: so it's UChicago or Emory it seems. Both are comparable universities overall, and I don't think in general you would go wrong either way. Public transportation... love it or hate it in Chicago but my opinion it's more set up vs. Atlanta... but ultimately you'd need a car either way. You'd probably be more used to Emory's weather (it gets really hot) but it also gets darn hot in Chicago too. Now when it gets cold, climate change shows Atlanta will get its share of bad days, and at least Chicago's infrastructure will get you to campus or clinic (presumably) better than Atlanta (remember 10 years ago when there was the ice storms that shut down the freeways, improvements) vs. the grid going out in Texas. Not to say Chicago has no problems, but you picked three cities where emergency management should be okay.

Last edited:
  • Love
OP, my perspective aligns with many others from last year's applicant pool. My rant in my previous post was to advocate for students who lack leverage in this situation, emphasizing the need for Baylor to reevaluate their campus selection process. OP does have leverage, but some who were placed at Temple likely do not have leverage. In my last post I wanted to recognize that OP's disappointment in not receiving their preferred placement at Baylor is valid and understandable.

Regarding @wysdoc's comments, I want to clarify that my criticisms have been specific to Baylor's campus selection process, not a general critique of Texas medical schools. I used the term "almost coercive" to describe Baylor's approach, and I acknowledge that it was a charged choice of words. What I intended to convey is that the process restricts students' choices, particularly post-Texas match, which, in my opinion, is a concern worth addressing and amplifying.

The fact that institutions like Mayo and Indiana employ similar practices doesn't justify them. Baylor, as a premier medical school, will continue to attract applicants, but their admissions process could be more transparent and empowering for students, allowing them to make informed decisions about their campus preferences.

If I sounded bitter in my last post, it is because I am. The medical school application process chews you up and spits you out. It's a dehumanizing process, and I don't appreciate it when schools play games through lotteries, especially after you've decided to withdraw some of your other choices. Sure, students have the option not to enter that lottery like I decided not to, but my position is that those lotteries should not even exist. Just allow students to apply to the campus where they would be comfortable living. It is such an easy fix.

---------------------------

Although unrelated to OP's situation, the rest of this response addresses @wysdoc's accusation that I've been critical of Texas medical schools. Questioning UTSW or other schools' H/HP/P/F clerkship grading system and the AOA's competitiveness/criteria at medical schools across the country - including those in Texas - does not equate to denigrating these institutions; instead, it offers a candid perspective for prospective students. Similarly, highlighting the restrictive health policies in Texas for immigrants, women, and LGBTQ folks isn't a criticism of the state's medical schools but a consideration for applicants who value a certain quality of life and inclusivity in their educational environment.

I also need to acknowledge that this conversation and my perspective reeks of privilege. Many do not have the possibilities or financial stability that I had. I was fortunate enough to choose the best school that worked for my needs. I also acknowledge that some of these critiques may make some feel like I'm pointing out flaws at their schools, but ultimately, any medical school can get you where you want to go. If you are reading this and feeling that way, you should be proud to have gotten even into one medical school - most applicants don't. But because of my privilege, I now have clarity about how crappy this process is, how tough medical school is, and I will keep advocating for students in the future, giving them my perspective so they choose the best choice for them. I stand by my words and will not apologize for them, even if they are getting old. I hope you understand my perspective better now, @wysdoc
Thank you @MercifulCamper for these words, you quite literally took them out of my mouth. I know this year there has not been as much complaining/disappointment regarding campus placement on the Baylor thread, but I assure you that those students do exists. In the GroupMe you have students that didn’t have the leverage I have and just applied to only Texas schools, like most Texan students do. They are devastated. And of course there are some students excited to go to Temple as well.

Do I feel misled by Baylor? No. I knew what I signed up for when I ranked them #1. But I only was willing to “gamble” because I knew I had OOS acceptances. I shouldn’t have had to gamble in the first place and that is what the issue here is. If I wanted to gamble I’d do a scratch off or go to Vegas.

It would be a simple fix to ask the question of campus placement in the secondary. This process is honestly agonizing and it really feels like a gut punch to not end up where you want at the end due to a “lottery”. Hopefully things change. @MercifulCamper, continue to advocate for students and change within the process!

Reactions: 1 user
Sounds like there will be a spot up for grabs at baylor then 😋

Reactions: 1 user
UChicago definitely sounds like the winner here! Congrats on a successful cycle

• Care
Reactions: 2 users