Hopkins vs. UChicago Pritzker vs. Penn

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

47Scout

Reaction score
Background: currently interested in Infectious Disease and public health. Community health work has been a big focus of mine and something that I really want to continue to be a focus for me. I value mentorship and I love big cities, ideally with fun food scenes.

Hopkins

(++) prestige; the match list is insane, and my PI + physician mentors have told me that it’s in a class of its own

(++) currently interested in infectious disease and public health, which is Hopkins’ thing.

(++) P/F clerkships (for now), which current students have told me is important

(+) somewhere new

(+) very cool community programs through SOURCE

(+) people I met at SLW were overall pretty nice, met some people I really vibed with

(-) Baltimore…coming from Chicago, Baltimore was better than I expected it to be but would definitely not be as nice.

(--) They gave me no aid. I am extremely grateful and lucky to be in a position where my family can support me and I will graduate without debt, but that’s a lot of money to pay. I’m not sure how much those pros are worth. My parents have encouraged me to go where fits me best, but they could retire a couple years early.

UChicago

(++) full tuition scholarship

(++) already have connections here and potential research project lined up (this is my alma mater)

(++) I’m very interested in community health and health equity work, which is Pritzker’s thing.

(+) good vibes on interview day

(+) since I’m currently interested in ID, they have great IM matching. I’m not 100% sure though and want to keep options open though.

(+) Chicago is awesome

(?) was not able to go to SLW because Penn’s overlapped

(-) very new, not as established public health program

(-) new curriculum so might be hashing things out. Also not p/f clerkships

(--) as much as I love Chicago, I’ve never lived been anywhere else. Also some of my mentors have told me it’s valuable to experience another health system. Just a little worried about feeling stagnant

Penn

(++) Philadelphia seemed super cool during SLW. I vibed well with the people there too

(++) prestige and match strength for all specialties

(+) some cool community programs

(+) I liked how the med school is integrated into the main campus – hopkins felt kinda isolated.

(-) not p/f clerkships

(--) seems like there is less hiv, public health, and infectious disease stuff going on than hopkins

(--) they also gave me no aid

Members don't see this ad.

Congrats on the cycle results! Just to double-check from some quick napkin math I did for myself (got the same merit offer at Pritzker), Penn and Hopkins would be ~$300k total more expensive than UChicago across the four years?

Congrats on the cycle results! Just to double-check from some quick napkin math I did for myself (got the same merit offer at Pritzker), Penn and Hopkins would be ~$300k total more expensive than UChicago across the four years?
Thank you, and congrats on the same offer!! Yes, that matches with my understanding too

Reactions: 1 user
A ~$300k difference is insane even with no debt, so I would strongly encourage you to go to UChicago.

If you really don't care at all about the money, then Hopkins.