UChicago vs Sinai vs Columbia MSTP

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

tanaka2014

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

As this cycle comes to a close, I am very grateful to have the opportunity to choose between some great programs. My decision has come down to UChicago, Mount Sinai, and Columbia, and I am currently leaning towards Chicago. I am interested in genetics and genomics in combination with developmental/stem cell biology - e.g. iPSC/ESC disease modeling, developmental disorders, etc. I've identified some positives and negatives of each program, and I would really appreciate any input you all may have.

The factors most important to me include:
-A strong medical program and PhD training environment
-As a West coaster all my life up to this point, I am ready to venture out to Chicago/NYC. However, my goal is to match back to residency in the West coast (most likely IM interests). The school should not make that harder to happen.
-Guidance and mentorship from MD-PhD directors, PhD lab
-My peers are intellectual and sociable. I am being challenged to grow by being surrounded by people as smart as or smarter than me.
-Labs actively create or adopt newest scientific technology - ATAC seq, CRISPR/Cas9, computational bio, etc.

U Chicago
Pros:
-Small program and lots of individualized attention
-Great personality match with directors, students, potential PhD mentors
-Identified 2-3 great labs that I would enjoy working in
-1-4-3 option for MD-PhD allows one to not break up MS2 and clinical years
Cons:
-Location is not exactly in the city
-Doesn't really have iPSC/ESC work as much as Sinai or Columbia, much more traditional Stem cell bio
-Lot of people seem to match back at UChicago but I definitely want to head back to west coast

Mount Sinai
Pros:
-Innovative and flexible program. The directors are trying out all kinds of new initiatives, like with computational bio
-Great personality match with directors, MD-PhD students, potential PhD mentors
-Also allow 1-4-3 option, but not as many students do it
-Black Family Stem Cell Institute has lots of strong research in my area
-Great location in NYC, student housing, and stipend
Cons:
-Medical school is not as reputable, so will it be harder come residency apps?
-MD peer group is not as much of a fit as in the other two schools
-Lots of directorship turnover recently, new director is starting first year in our entering class

Columbia
Pros:
-Reputable in both research and medicine (NYP hospital), strong clinical training
-Set up for a 7 year target graduation time
-Bigger name labs and lots of growth towards precision medicine
-Great personality fit with students
-Strong incorporation of new technology, computation into research programs
Cons:
-MSTP Directors are a lot more hands off, and I didn't really click with them
-7th year (clinical year) seems rushed
-Haven't identified specific mentors who I want to work with although there are a good number of labs in my areas of interest
-Don't like it's location in NYC

In summary, I feel like I would be happiest during my 8 years at either Chicago or Mount Sinai. However, I don't want to shortchange my clinical/research training and harm my chances at top residencies on the west coast. What do people think of the programs at Chicago or Sinai, and is Columbia better for the goals I have in mind? Thanks so much for your input!

Members don't see this ad.

Congratulations on such great options. I'm an MD student at Sinai but have several very good friends in the MSTP program and all are extremely happy people. The atmosphere, mentorship, and location are some of the things that attracted me here as well. I would strongly disagree that Sinai would limit your clinical opportunities or residency applications in any way. I don't know about Pritzker, but a lot of students say that we have the most "hands-on" rotations and Sub-Is out of the New York academic hospitals (maybe along with Montefiore). Most students say that the clinical training here is probably the school's biggest strength. In terms of the residency match, check out the MD/PhD matches from this year: http://forums.studentdoctor.net/threads/2015-md-phd-residency-match.1125687/

There is almost no difference between the three schools you're considering apart from the specialties (which is driven by student interest, like Columbia's 4 psych and 2 path). The programs are all excellent and many Sinai MSTP students matched at elite academic centers.

Best of luck with your decision!

Reactions: 1 user
Thanks so much for your input. After some further soul searching and talking to mentors, it seems like my decision is now between UChicago and Mount Sinai. I agree with you that Sinai students receive excellent clinical training (Pritzker as well). And my mentors pretty much said the same things as you that where I go between these schools will not affect how I match in the future. It's more a question of finding the environment where I'll find a great lab, be most productive, and be happy.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks so much for your input. After some further soul searching and talking to mentors, it seems like my decision is now between UChicago and Mount Sinai. I agree with you that Sinai students receive excellent clinical training (Pritzker as well). And my mentors pretty much said the same things as you that where I go between these schools will not affect how I match in the future. It's more a question of finding the environment where I'll find a great lab, be most productive, and be happy.

Absolutely! I definitely agree with you. 8 years is a long time and location/fit carries even more weight than for MD-only applicants. I wish you the best of luck in determining that as you make your decision!

Go to Sinai so we can hang out in NYC. Better yet, come to Columbia with me :)

Reactions: 1 users