UCI (4 units) vs UCSC (5 units)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sprint2k

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I went to ucsc for my first two years, and the standard class was 5 units. At UCI the standard was 4 units.

Do I put those down as such? Does that mean the classes I take at UCSC are weighed more when calculating my GPA?

This is pretty weird... The lectures were like 20 minutes longer on average at ucsc than uci though... I guess ucsc just requires more units than other UCs?

If i have to put ucsc classes as 5 units, that would suck because I did much better and got a higher gpa while at UCI.....

UCI requires 12 units per quarter, while UCSC requires 15 units. Does that mean UCSC requires more units than UCI in order to graduate? Are units weighed differently?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I went to ucsc for my first two years, and the standard class was 5 units. At UCI the standard was 4 units.

Do I put those down as such? Does that mean the classes I take at UCSC are weighed more when calculating my GPA?

This is pretty weird... The lectures were like 20 minutes longer on average at ucsc than uci though... I guess ucsc just requires more units than other UCs?

If i have to put ucsc classes as 5 units, that would suck because I did much better and got a higher gpa while at UCI.....

Yes a 5 unit class is weighted more than a 4 unit. At UCSC you can get by with 15 units with only 3 classes while at other UCs you will have to mix and match 3 and 4 unit courses to make 15 units.

edit: nvm i was just concerned about my gpa, but it turns out uci calculated those classes as 5 units. so it turns out, if my classes were weighted equally (biochem at ucsc = biochem at uci unit wise) then i would've had a higher gpa. it's all good though cuz i'm fine with this gpa

i still think it's weird that ucsc would require more units than normal.

Last edited: