UCI (CHP) vs UCSD vs UCLA (please help!)

Pataka

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone! I got accepted to UCI for the Campuswide Honors Program, UCSD (Eleanor Roosevelt College) and UCLA. I was wondering which of these schools would be the better choice for Premed. Things I am looking for is a place to get a great GPA, research/internship/volunteer opportunities (quality and how early/available they are), individualized attention, and extracurricular. UCLA seems like the obvious choice by I'm worried about the lack of individualized attention and how difficult it would be to distinguish myself. I've also heard that UCLA has so many Premed students that it is difficult to access research opportunities and EC. UCSD seems much better in terms of individual attention but when I went to Triton Day, they said that I most likely will only be able to start to research my junior year. ERC was also my 5th choice college; nice dorms but I'm skeptical about the MMW GE classes. UCSD is also the farthest from home (I would like to be able to visit on weekends when possible). Lastly, with UCI there is the benefit of CHP and more individualized attention with less competition (easier GPA...?) but I'm unsure about the quality of the research/internship/volunteer opportunities there. Is there a hospital nearby where I can volunteer or get an internship for? I've also heard that UCI is a "suburban hell" but I come from a suburban area myself and I don't find it too bad.
Thanks for any help you can give!

Members don't see this ad.

Hello! I'm a 4th year at UCI here and I really enjoy my time here. As for research opportunities, it wasn't difficult to find as there's an online master website of all the available labs and their respective websites as well. I was able work in 3 research labs and get units/credit for it, and that's basically free A's if you do your lab hours and awesome letters of rec from professors. The benefit of CHP is that you will leave UCI with at least 1 research lab experience because as a requirement to graduate, you would need to complete a UROP (undergraduate research opportunity program) project. This looks really good on your resume because you learn how to request for grant money to conduct your research project by writing a proposal and literature reviews. And at the end of the year, you present your research findings as a poster at a symposium. Also being in the CHP gets you early registration dates so you never have to worry about not getting your class.

As for internship opportunities, I'm in the school of social ecology so as a requirement to graduate I have to take a field study class off site in exchange for units. It's basically a guaranteed internship to add to your CV/Resume. Right now I'm working as a clinical research assistant for my field study at a neuropsychiatric clinic that conducts clinical trials. I get to see patients, sit in on clinical rating assessments, physicals, work with doctors and PA's, take ECG's, vitals, conmeds, assess for patient's health histories, and etc. So the field study work is really hands on! Aside from school requirements, there are always fliers around schools that have internship opportunities as well.

There are a few hospitals nearby at UCI. Some people I know volunteer at St. Joseph's, Children's Hospital of OC, Hoag Memorial, and UCI Medical Center. I'd recommend applying to become a volunteer at UCIMC because after 35 hours of service you're able to transfer into many different departments like: ER, Nursing, Pathology, OR, and etc. Also there's shuttle that loops around from the hospital to the school all day long! So if you don't have a car you can just hop on the hospital shuttle and be on your way! I definitely love being a volunteer at UCIMC because now I'm in the OR department and get to observe surgeries and learn a lot. Not to mention UCIMC is the ONLY level 1 trauma center so we get all the crazy incoming traumas in OC. Last week a man was severely burned and he was rushed into the OR! Pretty crazy watching the surgeons shave off his burned skin, put it through a machine that turned it into mesh, and staple that recycled skin on him.. During that surgery I was asked to retrieve items (laps, foams, pads, equipment) for surgeons and nurses.

There's also a patient experience internship at UCIMC, I'm not too familiar with that but I'm sure you can google it if you're interested.

I have a few friends at Hoag who are doing the health scholar program where they rotate you through several departments and require a 280 hour commitment.

Any who, I'm a little late to this post! I'm sure no matter where you go, you'll be fine. Just be proactive! Look up faculty and research labs and email to see if there any available research assistant positions. The suburban life isn't that bad, I'm a commuter so take that with a grain of salt lol. Good luck! :)

Reactions: 1 user