UCI Class of 2009

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
synapse said:
how'd they contact u about ur acceptance? email, phone call, status page, snail mail?

Dr. Peterson tried to call me but when she couldn't reach me (my cell phone has no reception at work), she left me an e-mail. Then my status page was updated the next day.

Members don't see this ad.

hotchicalica said:
hey scrappysurfer! :oops:) congrats on mstp!! thats so awesome! :thumbup:

what kind of race are you competing in?

anyhoo, gotta get back to trying to study. :p nice meeting (?) you!

I got a Team USA slot for Long Course Age Group Triathlon Worlds in Denmark. The race is somewhere between a 1/2 Ironman and full Ironman. This will be my longest race, so it is questionable if I'll be walking comfortably within a week. :eek:

Hey guys,

Does anyone have a link to web information about the preentry program for taking science classes before school starts in the fall?

Any idea what dates it runs and if it's difficult to get into if you want to do it?

Thank you :)

Members don't see this ad :)
I have another question (yes, I'm just bursting with them today):

Does anyone know when the revisit day ends? I'm trying to decide what flight to book out that evening. I asked Dr. Peterson when I RSVPd but no one has gotten back to me.

:thumbup:

CaMD said:
I have another question (yes, I'm just bursting with them today):

Does anyone know when the revisit day ends? I'm trying to decide what flight to book out that evening. I asked Dr. Peterson when I RSVPd but no one has gotten back to me.

:thumbup:

Hmmm. Dr. Peterson told me that the program ends with a reception around 6pm. How long do you think the reception will last? 1-2 hours?

docinthemaking said:
Hmmm. Dr. Peterson told me that the program ends with a reception around 6pm. How long do you think the reception will last? 1-2 hours?

Yeah, that sounds about right. (BTW, docinthemaking, I'm making the same UCI vs Pitt choice as you.)

CaMD said:
Yeah, that sounds about right. (BTW, docinthemaking, I'm making the same UCI vs Pitt choice as you.)

I'm wondering what choice there is to make. What are the factors you are considering?

Thanks!

CaMD said:

Yeah I was wondering if that was the case since I saw you on both the UCI and Pitt c/o 2009 threads. It's a pretty tough choice but I can't complain cuz the situation could be worse ;) Anyhow, I've been wavering between the two schools and wanted to visit both second looks before making a decision. Are you leaning towards one school over the other?

docinthemaking said:
Yeah I was wondering if that was the case since I saw you on both the UCI and Pitt c/o 2009 threads. It's a pretty tough choice but I can't complain cuz the situation could be worse ;) Anyhow, I've been wavering between the two schools and wanted to visit both second looks before making a decision. Are you leaning towards one school over the other?

The last couple days I've been leaning towards Irvine. Not sure though.

Spitting Camel said:
I'm wondering what choice there is to make. What are the factors you are considering?

Thanks!

What factors? In no particular order, this is what I've come up with on my list of things that are important to me:

Atmosphere at the school
Grading system
Location (city versus suburbia)
Weather
Curriculum structure
Strength of clinical training
Early clinical opportunties
Financial Aid (a big one, and I don't have either package yet!)
Strength in the particular fields I might be interested in (peds, neuro, psych, derm)
Research opportunities
Student happiness
Amount of free time
Having to buy a car
Access to online lectures (Actually don't know if either school has this?)
Ability to match where I want (cause I dunno yet and want to keep my options open)
Openness/accessibility of faculty

I know it's a really big list, but Spitting Camel I'd love your thoughts on these (or at least some of these) factors at UCI.

CaMD said:
The last couple days I've been leaning towards Irvine. Not sure though.

Did you go to the Pitt Second Look Weekend?

docinthemaking said:
Did you go to the Pitt Second Look Weekend?

I went to part of it. How about you? Did it help you come to any conclusions?

They're finally reviewing the waitlisters b/c I got the call from Dr. Peterson today.

Members don't see this ad :)
Congrats wxl31. I'm glad to hear that the alternate list is moving.

wxl31 said:
They're finally reviewing the waitlisters b/c I got the call from Dr. Peterson today.

sdnstud said:
Congrats wxl31. I'm glad to hear that the alternate list is moving.

Barring a miracle scholarship, I'm going to withdraw for Davis. Good luck!!!

Someone just PMed these questions so I'm posting the answers here for all to see.

Interviewed 10/11
Waitlisted I think on 11/9; they changed that box on my status page so I did a SDN search and that's the date that I posted my waitlist
I did absolutely NOTHING post-interview; no LOIs or phonecalls. However, I hear UCI is very receptive to that sort of stuff so if you're really interested, send a LOI!!!
UCI is a great school. I was especially impressed by my faculty interviewer. We had a wonderful conversation on homelessness and healthcare in America. Afterward, she sent me a wonderful book about doctoring in Haiti. Congrats to all acceptees and good luck to all the ppl on the waitlist!

synapse said:
how'd they contact u about ur acceptance? email, phone call, status page, snail mail?

just found out today I got in though Ill likely withdraw; I interviewed on 3/1 and heard today via email though Dr. P claims she tried calling and couldnt get through.

What factors? In no particular order, this is what I've come up with on my list of things that are important to me:

Atmosphere at the school:Very Chill, excellent people to spend 4 years of life with.
Grading system: Honors, Pass, Fail... top 10 honor, everyone else Passes. It's really hard to fail.
Location (city versus suburbia): Orange County has a lot of places to have fun in, you just have to know where to look (that is what we soon-to-be-second years will be there for!)
Weather: Southern California... need I say more?
Curriculum structure: Traditional , but lectures are optional. Excellent core-notes are provided, so you don't really need to attend in most classes.
Strength of clinical training: 3rd and 4th year done at Long Beach Memorial, LBVA, UCIMC, Kaiser... you can even do externships at other schools during 4th year.
Early clinical opportunties: Student run clinic once a month. Vaccination clinics 1-2 times a month, tag-alongs with residents, pastoral care tag-along, psych clinic tag along, plenty of opportunities and willing doctors to tag-along in any specialty.
Financial Aid (a big one, and I don't have either package yet!): I got 6K for being under a certain family income. My EFC was 0. There are three brackets, 6K, 3K and 1K (consolation prize for filling out the paperwork), however, this might change for this year.
Strength in the particular fields I might be interested in (peds, neuro, psych, derm): Neuro is a fellowship, so you would do your residency first in IM, I think. Derm is a function of how hard you work and your board scores and research, peds has tons of open spots everywhere, and our psych department is pretty cool. I did a tag along there and loved it.
Research opportunities: OMG, so many that it'll make your head spin! Not required to do research, but there are tons of grants offered for summer research if you choose to do it. My friend just got 7200 from the American Heart Association and a 2000 dean's grant! Holy Cow!
Student happiness: I am the luckiest bastard in the world. Like I said, I smile for no reason!
Amount of free time: Most days are only until noon. Wednesdays of first and third quarter of first year are long ~3:30p.m. Second years have class starting at 1 p.m. most days!
Having to buy a car: Yes, but you can be that one person that annoys everyone by asking for rides all the time. There's always one.
Access to online lectures (Actually don't know if either school has this?): We have a student co-op, where notes are taken and posted online by students, but that it totally student run.
Ability to match where I want (cause I dunno yet and want to keep my options open): If you are good enough, you will match where you want. Any student at any school can blow the boards away and match well.
Openness/accessibility of faculty: Part of the reason why I feel I'm a lucky bastard. The faculty and administration is so accomodating and receptive to our needs. We constantly have meetings where we address our concerns to the dean. Every course has a rep that relays concerns as well. If something is not working, it gets fixed. We are so lucky.

I know it's a really big list, but Spitting Camel I'd love your thoughts on these (or at least some of these) factors at UCI: I hope I helped :) See you all at revisit!

Thanks for your response! If you don't mind I'm gonna ask a few more:

Curriculum structure: Traditional , but lectures are optional. Excellent core-notes are provided, so you don't really need to attend in most classes.

Can you tell me more about the curriculum. You say it's traditional but I thought it was organ-based? How often do you have tests?

Strength of clinical training: 3rd and 4th year done at Long Beach Memorial, LBVA, UCIMC, Kaiser... you can even do externships at other schools during 4th year.

Do you know if these places have a reputation for letting students do lots of hands on stuff?

Do you know how flexible 4th year is? ie how many, if any rotations you have to complete in system, how much time you get off for interviews ?

Research opportunities: OMG, so many that it'll make your head spin! Not required to do research, but there are tons of grants offered for summer research if you choose to do it. My friend just got 7200 from the American Heart Association and a 2000 dean's grant! Holy Cow!

So most students could get money for summer research if they wanted it? (As opposed to just the superstars, like it sounds like your friend is.)

Student happiness: I am the luckiest bastard in the world. Like I said, I smile for no reason!

This is what I've heard and the main reason I'm so excited about UCI!

Ability to match where I want (cause I dunno yet and want to keep my options open): If you are good enough, you will match where you want. Any student at any school can blow the boards away and match well.

I've heard over and over again the UCI has the highest board scores in CA but no one seems to know exactly what they are? Do you know what the averages are?

anyone know if you can back out of a second look weekend after already RSVPing? I just found out that I have to be somewhere else that day and I don't want to be rude. should i email? call? write a letter?

holy cow! thats incredible! i know its a little early but good luck at the race!!

scrappysurfer said:
I got a Team USA slot for Long Course Age Group Triathlon Worlds in Denmark. The race is somewhere between a 1/2 Ironman and full Ironman. This will be my longest race, so it is questionable if I'll be walking comfortably within a week. :eek:

thanks so much spitting camel. these are all questions that ive also been wondering about, and i really appreciate your taking the time to answer all of this.

i just had another question about finding research labs on campus. i dont really have any summer plans yet, so i was wondering if u would recommend trying to find a research lab to work in during the summer? i have a wide range of interests, but i currently work in a neuroimaging lab that studies memory. are there any resources or labs you might recommend for someone whos interested in neuro but is really open to any field?

thanks again spitting camel, and thanks to camd for asking those questions.

Spitting Camel said:

Atmosphere at the school:Very Chill, excellent people to spend 4 years of life with.
Grading system: Honors, Pass, Fail... top 10 honor, everyone else Passes. It's really hard to fail.
Location (city versus suburbia): Orange County has a lot of places to have fun in, you just have to know where to look (that is what we soon-to-be-second years will be there for!)
Weather: Southern California... need I say more?
Early clinical opportunties: Student run clinic once a month. Vaccination clinics 1-2 times a month, tag-alongs with residents, pastoral care tag-along, psych clinic tag along, plenty of opportunities and willing doctors to tag-along in any specialty.
Financial Aid (a big one, and I don't have either package yet!): I got 6K for being under a certain family income. My EFC was 0. There are three brackets, 6K, 3K and 1K (consolation prize for filling out the paperwork), however, this might change for this year.
Strength in the particular fields I might be interested in (peds, neuro, psych, derm): Neuro is a fellowship, so you would do your residency first in IM, I think. Derm is a function of how hard you work and your board scores and research, peds has tons of open spots everywhere, and our psych department is pretty cool. I did a tag along there and loved it.
Amount of free time:

Most days are only until noon. Wednesdays of first and third quarter of first year are long ~3:30p.m. Second years have class starting at 1 p.m. most days!
Having to buy a car: Yes, but you can be that one person that annoys everyone by asking for rides all the time. There's always one.
Access to online lectures (Actually don't know if either school has this?): We have a student co-op, where notes are taken and posted online by students, but that it totally student run.
Openness/accessibility of faculty: Part of the reason why I feel I'm a lucky bastard. The faculty and administration is so accomodating and receptive to our needs. We constantly have meetings where we address our concerns to the dean. Every course has a rep that relays concerns as well. If something is not working, it gets fixed. We are so lucky.

I know it's a really big list, but Spitting Camel I'd love your thoughts on these (or at least some of these) factors at UCI: I hope I helped :) See you all at revisit!

congratulations everyone on your UCI acceptances!

I was wondering when exactly does UCI start their first year? Orientation seems to be August 8-9 and White Coat Ceremony August 15... does anyone know what the schedule/calendar's like?

Thanks!

UCI here I come!! Although I will be graduating with the class of 2010 (PRIME) Ill still see all of u next fall! ;)

Yea!! Congrats SoCalChica! :thumbup: :thumbup:

On another note, I was just wondering if anyone knew how many people get off the UCI waitlist.

SoCalChica said:
UCI here I come!! Although I will be graduating with the class of 2010 (PRIME) Ill still see all of u next fall! ;)

Did anyone that got into UCI also get into USC?

Are they comparable?

my boyfriend got into usc, and i got into uci. just from talking to him and comparing the two schools i think they are somewhat similar but there are some important differences.

usc has some great clinical opportunities with the county hospital. from what i know, youll get to see and do a lot of things during your 3rd and 4th year. plus, being in la you know you will be helping the people that need the help the most. there will be some great community service opportunities there. on the flip side, their administration doesnt seem as supportive of its students as uci. i may be wrong about this, but i just say because my boyfriend has been having some difficult time finding out information about financial aid at usc. the only reason he even got a financial aid application was because he walked into the financial aid office and asked for one.

uci, on the other hand, has been extremely helpful for me when dealing with financial aid. another big thing is that uci is MUCH more affordable than usc. from what my boyfriend told me, usc just raised its tuition again. i believe tuition alone is almost $40,000 now? (i can check this number if you like.) uci is only ~$22,000 i believe. also, uci's seem to more directly prepare its students for step 1. im not sure if its really true that uci has the highest scores of all the california schools, but im do know the curriculum really prepares you well for this test. a downside of uci is that the hospitals are on a different campus. this would probably be my biggest complaint about uci.

anyway, my impression is that usc is a great school and has a lot to offer, but its just not the place i would want to be. they just dont seem to care as much about their students. the supportive atmosphere at uci makes a big difference in my eyes. i think either place you decide to go would be a great pick. congrats on your acceptances and good luck with your decision!

(i may be biased though... i grew up as a bruin fan)

MB in SD said:
Did anyone that got into UCI also get into USC?

Are they comparable?

SoCalChica said:

SoCalChica,

CONGRATS! I am so excited that yu will be joining us at UCI! You must be pretty special to get into PRIME. It's so competitive!! I'm sure I'll see you around at orientation. My name is Steve. What's yours?

Congrats again!

hotchicalica said:
thanks so much spitting camel. these are all questions that ive also been wondering about, and i really appreciate your taking the time to answer all of this.

i just had another question about finding research labs on campus. i dont really have any summer plans yet, so i was wondering if u would recommend trying to find a research lab to work in during the summer? i have a wide range of interests, but i currently work in a neuroimaging lab that studies memory. are there any resources or labs you might recommend for someone whos interested in neuro but is really open to any field?

thanks again spitting camel, and thanks to camd for asking those questions.

Hi! Sorry it took so long for me to respond, but my advice would be to just relax this summer. If you are really set on doing research and you have a passion for it, I can get you some more info. :)

hotchicalica said:
anyway, my impression is that usc is a great school and has a lot to offer, but its just not the place i would want to be. they just dont seem to care as much about their students. the supportive atmosphere at uci makes a big difference in my eyes. i think either place you decide to go would be a great pick. congrats on your acceptances and good luck with your decision!

Couldn't agree more. My school could be sooooo much better than it actually is. GO to UCI if you get in there.

seeing how its may 15th, i was just wondering if there are any additional ant eaters out there.

hotchicalica said:
seeing how its may 15th, i was just wondering if there are any additional ant eaters out there.

I'm hoping to be once I get bumped in off of the waitlist. Cross your fingers for me!!!! :thumbup:

cammy1313 said:
I'm hoping to be once I get bumped in off of the waitlist. Cross your fingers for me!!!! :thumbup:

Goodluck!! *crossing fingers* :p

Someone please tell me the pain of waiting will be over soon!!

From the looks of last year's alternate list thread, we might not hear much until the end of May or early June. Anyone know if the process will be sped up this year because orientation is a month earlier?

Ok, I'm going to go jog and let radiohead take care of my worries: "don't leave me hiiiiiiiiiiiigh (UCI), don't leave me dryyyyyyyyyyy (UCI) ..."

ciao!

traveladdict said:
Someone please tell me the pain of waiting will be over soon!!

From the looks of last year's alternate list thread, we might not hear much until the end of May or early June. Anyone know if the process will be sped up this year because orientation is a month earlier?

Ok, I'm going to go jog and let radiohead take care of my worries: "don't leave me hiiiiiiiiiiiigh (UCI), don't leave me dryyyyyyyyyyy (UCI) ..."

ciao!

:( We should keep our own waiting-for-UCI thread. Reading this thread is just like real life-- hearing about other students who got in. Then wallowing in self-doubt. :laugh:

UCI's double rejection of me hurts! (alternate list and being kicked out of undergrad for having too many units---50 of which were AP units that I retook anyways)

hey anteaters.. i'm joining you guys. wooHOOOO!!!!! :D

synapse said:
hey anteaters.. i'm joining you guys. wooHOOOO!!!!! :D

Do you mind giving out your stats?
Thanks

tik-tik-clock said:
Do you mind giving out your stats?
Thanks

oh by the way, Congragulations!
Thats my dream school when I apply next year..

Hi,

I recently got into UCI :) Does anyone know about what the housing situation is there? Also, when do you plan on moving to Irvine?

hey! i heard that a lot of people are getting off the waitlist! congrats! im so excited for all of you. :oops:) please feel free to come join our uci yahoo group. :p

Does UCI appropriate some of their financial aid money towards the purchase of a computer? I just got in off of the waitlist, so I haven't received my fin. aid package yet. That is, should I rush out and buy a computer right now, which I want to do because I'm impatient, or should I wait until I get the financial aid?

microman said:
Does UCI appropriate some of their financial aid money towards the purchase of a computer? I just got in off of the waitlist, so I haven't received my fin. aid package yet. That is, should I rush out and buy a computer right now, which I want to do because I'm impatient, or should I wait until I get the financial aid?

hey...i am an MSI at UCI....the way I remeber it the financial aid office does offer you money for a computer at the beginning of the year. if you want to take the money, you can...and if you don't need a computer you don't have to accept the money.....so i guess its up to you whether to buy right now or not...let me know if any of you guys have any more questions about next year

Last edited:
synapse said:
when do classes start?

when is orientation?

when is the white coat ceremony?

...this year I know you guys start in early August (a month earlier than we did last year). as far as specific dates, i have no idea. you'll get that in the mail. although the orientation and white coat ceremony are important, the only dates you guys should be worried about are for the San Diego retreat which is Sept 9-11th...mark it on the calenders!!

MDinSD said:
...this year I know you guys start in early August (a month earlier than we did last year). as far as specific dates, i have no idea. you'll get that in the mail. although the orientation and white coat ceremony are important, the only dates you guys should be worried about are for the San Diego retreat which is Sept 9-11th...mark it on the calenders!!

I think you guys have orientation Aug 8 and 9 and start Aug 10. White coat may or may not be the next week. But MDinSD is right, the retreat is awesome. We had everyone but 3 or so people attend this last year!

White coat = Aug 15th. I can't wait to get down there! The SD retreat sounds awesome. Also, anyone else want to start training for the Long Beach sprint triathlon (end of Sept)? I'm new to the sport and scrappysurfer's a pro. I welcome any newcomers to train with me or any oldtimers to let me lag behind them (group motivation--yeah!)!!

On a side note, is the UCI SOM friendster group exclusively for the class of 2008?

MDinSD said:

what is the san diego retreat and what do u do there?

traveladdict said:
White coat = Aug 15th. I can't wait to get down there! The SD retreat sounds awesome. Also, anyone else want to start training for the Long Beach sprint triathlon (end of Sept)? I'm new to the sport and scrappysurfer's a pro. I welcome any newcomers to train with me or any oldtimers to let me lag behind them (group motivation--yeah!)!!

On a side note, is the UCI SOM friendster group exclusively for the class of 2008?

i thought the white coat ceremony was after orientation?

is aug 15th really the correct date?

synapse said:
i thought the white coat ceremony was after orientation?

is aug 15th really the correct date?

Orientation is on the 8th and 9th, classes start the 10th, white coat is on the 15th - All in August.

You guys should have gotten a letter about the retreat, I think. There should be a website address that you can go to to check out some details. It really is awesome. Such a great way to bond and party with your classmates.

About friendster, you can be approved once you matriculate. There really are no class distinctions. Once you're here, you're part of the fam, no matter what year you are!

We can't wait to meet you guys. We're already planning the MS1-MS2 olympics, we have the orientation party nights all planned, the retreat planning is underway with the friday party and Saturday night outing. It should be fun. We also do tons of intramurals - softball, soccer, swimming - it should be awesome.