UCI Class of 2009

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

hotchicalica

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
i havent found a thread for future ant eaters yet... soo, ive decided to start one. :p

anyone planning on going to uci next year? if so, horraayy!! and congrats!! :D

also, if you guys dont mind saying, why have u decided to go to uci?

Members don't see this ad.

UCI!!! zot zot!! :)

Members don't see this ad :)
where did all the uci people go?

do you have to BUMP this up today? :mad:

I go to UCI, but....I'm an undergrad. booya!

I think it's because they waitlist a lot of people, who then don't find out until the summer that they're actually going to UCI! :)

yeah...they waitlisted me :(

Is UCI still sending out invites? Is their class filled up yet?

Yes, I talked to the admissions officer and she told me that UCI is still inviting. UCI's class size is 90, and as of yesterday, around 120 applicants have been accepted.

Jane2005 said:
Is UCI still sending out invites? Is their class filled up yet?

Hi everyone - I am still waiting on UCI (interview 2/16) and PRAYING to get in...out of curiosity......what is ZOT ZOT!?? Dumb question, but just wonderin hehe

I was put on hold for an interview a couple of weeks ago. Did anyone here get put on hold for an interview, and then actually go on to interview? or am I pretty much screwed?

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey calgirl, can you let me know when you hear from UCI. I interviewed a month before you did and I'm still waiting on a decision

CalGirl said:
Hi everyone - I am still waiting on UCI (interview 2/16) and PRAYING to get in...out of curiosity......what is ZOT ZOT!?? Dumb question, but just wonderin hehe

*probably* MSTP class of many many years from now (eek)
we shall see after next week's round of admissions/rejections.

as for what is great about UCI?

I've got a couple little sibs there, but still wasn't especially excited about the place before my interview. (I've been looking to exit the crowds and traffic of so cal, esp orange county.) The campus is gorgeous with tons of open space so I didn't actually feel like I was trapped in the middle of the endless so cal sprawl. I was down on the super expensive apartment-hell housing in the area until I saw the brand new ultra cheap grad housing and low key parking situation (NOT the case at the other UC's). 9miles from Newport beach. Across the street from miles of lagoon trails full of pretty birds. My Dad's health is deteriorating and it has occured to me that he might not make it to see me complete the dual degree so the location 45 min from home is a huge plus.

Within an hour of my phone call, 2 of my interviewers had already sent congratulatory emails. Over the next couple of days it seemed like almost everyone I met there sent a sweet and personal congratulations. One of them will almost certainly be my PI so it is a huge plus to know that the people I will interact with on a daily basis are so thoughtful. One of the adcom folks I didn't even meet saw in my profile that I'm a surfer and a triathlete and sent links to the tri club. Another MSTP student emailed with an offer to show me all the local bike routes. Everyone says this about a school, but the people there are AWESOME. :love:

Simply put, my MD/PhD will take many years to complete, and at UCI I see attention paid to all the little things that add up to a high quality of life.

from what i hear its the sound that their mascot, the anteater, makes when hes eating. :p

on another note, :luck: goodluck goodluck :luck: to people on the waitlist. i hear that uci takes a lot of people off the waitlist.

also, congrats scrappysurfer. sounds like uci is a great match for you.

CalGirl said:

Hi Dr DRE - I actually was on hold from like September till Feburary before I was asked to interview, but my advice to you is to be proactive! I emailed both Gayle Pierce and Dr. Ellena Peterson, and sent letters to them both (basically begging for an interview shamelessly) and I got one! I also sent in new LOR's from my work. Something worked cuz I got taken off of hold and I interviewed in February. I suggest just bothering them a lot (and also ask when your file is going to be reviewed) and see what happens! Good luck and pm me if you have questions k. :) SDNstud I'll let u know when I hear :eek:

CalGirl said:
Hi Dr DRE - I actually was on hold from like September till Feburary before I was asked to interview, but my advice to you is to be proactive! I emailed both Gayle Pierce and Dr. Ellena Peterson, and sent letters to them both (basically begging for an interview shamelessly) and I got one! I also sent in new LOR's from my work. Something worked cuz I got taken off of hold and I interviewed in February. I suggest just bothering them a lot (and also ask when your file is going to be reviewed) and see what happens! Good luck and pm me if you have questions k. :) SDNstud I'll let u know when I hear :eek:

Thanks for the advice, I'll get right to it! :)

CalGirl said:

I wasn't put on hold, but I haven't been interview or rejected either. My application wasn't reviewed until February because I took the MCAT in August. After they sent out the invites for 3/1, I sent in an update letter (I shamelessly begged too) and an e-mail, but only to Dr. Peterson. Do you think I should also send it to Gayle? Might be kind of late now. I know there's one more interview date and I assume they're going to send out the invites soon. Hope I get one. :luck: to you other UCI hopeful SDNers too.

Yeah, for Tacrum and others who want a UCI interview, I would definitely email Gayle and Ellena Peterson. They both are really nice..and I do think they are responsive to people who REALLY want to go to UCI. My student host at UCI had done the same thing....basically begged for an interview, got an interview, then got waitlisted, begged to get off the waitlist, and is now an MS1. So who knows?? Good luck peeps! :D

Hi everyone, I found out yesterday I was accepted. i'm pretty much 100% sure I will be going there in the fall. Has anyone else been accepted to UCI lately? ZOT!ZOT! :)

Hey guys,
I'm a first year at UCI...It's a great place and everyone loves it here. If you guys have any questions feel free to pm me.

CalGirl said:
Hi everyone, I found out yesterday I was accepted. i'm pretty much 100% sure I will be going there in the fall. Has anyone else been accepted to UCI lately? ZOT!ZOT! :)

ZOT!ZOT! CONGRATULATIONS!! ZOT!ZOT!

I'm in the same boat. I am still on the waitlist at Vermont, but more and more I think I will choose UCI regardless. So see you next year.

I will definitely pull out of all schools other than those two. (For those interested in UCSD that opens up a ranked waitlist spot.)

SDNstud, I hope to see you on this thread soon!

scrappysurfer said:
ZOT!ZOT!

SDNstud, I hope to see you on this thread soon!

Thanks scrappysurfer. I hope I get to ZOT ZOT soon :( Unfortunately, UCI passed up on me despite knowing my interest in the school. My prognosis ain't looking too good. :thumbdown:

I have already submitted a LOI to UCI months ago, but I guess it wasn't strong enough to get an acceptance. Anyone wanna help me write another LOI to UCI?

Like WillHague, I am also a first year. Feel free to pm me any questions.

Wow thanx...u guys are really friendly! Scrappy...does UCI have a second look? I don't think so right?

CalGirl said:
Wow thanx...u guys are really friendly! Scrappy...does UCI have a second look? I don't think so right?

Yep, second look is on April 30th. If you PM me, I might be able to send you the info sheet. Unfortunately, I can't go because I have a HUGE race in Central Cal the next day. (I can't spend all day/night in a car before this particular race, esp since it involves camping.)

I've been thinking about it a lot and I've decided that I am going to UCI for sure!!!!!! See you next year CalGirl?

Scrappy

Thanx scrappy, I think I can get the info from the admissions office. Yep, I am pretty sure I am going there in the fall...like 99.99% sure! I am probably going to go to the second look weekend...too bad u can't come! Understandable tho...gluck with your race!

yea!!! CONGRATS!!! :thumbup:

CalGirl said:

I'll probably be a future Dr. Ant Eater as well!! That makes...what...4ish of us? Where is everyone?!

congrats angel! maybe all our co-ant eaters are in hibernation. :p

angelakiva said:
I'll probably be a future Dr. Ant Eater as well!! That makes...what...4ish of us? Where is everyone?!

hey guys!
i just opened a yahoo groups page. this might be a nice place where we can all get to know each other. if you'd like to join, please pm me with your email address and name. this way i can send you an invite.

So did you realize that orientation starts on Aug 8th and not the 10th? ****.

Do you think I'm going to have problems if I a) miss the first day of orientation or b) crawl in off the red-eye from Europe? I sorta committed to a huge race in Denmark on Aug 7th.

Have you looked into housing? Eeek. $$$$ I hope I can get grad student housing.

I am not motivated to study for the last of my prereqs. I guess it will be good to get me back into the swing of things since I've been out of school for 2 years.

Looking forward to 8 (MSTP) more years of sunshine and 70 degrees days in March.

scrappysurfer said:

Is this true? I thought school starts early sept

hey scrappysurfer! :oops:) congrats on mstp!! thats so awesome! :thumbup:

oie, orientations so early! i think it would probably be fine if you missed the first day of orirentation. i would called dr peterson or gayle just in case though. im sure they know what well be doing that day and what you might miss. whatever it is we do, id be more than happy to fill you in if you cant make it.

what kind of race are you competing in?

as for housing, it is insanely expensive! ak!! thankfully on-campus housing isn't that bad at all. one ms1 i talked to during my interview said he was only paying ~$400 for an on-campus room. im pretty lucky though, i'll probably be living with my family. i am a little worried about losing my freedom though (my parents are kind of strict.)

anyhoo, gotta get back to trying to study. :p nice meeting (?) you!

scrappysurfer said:

Do you think I'm going to have problems if I a) miss the first day of orientation or b) crawl in off the red-eye from Europe? I sorta committed to a huge race in Denmark on Aug 7th.

Have you looked into housing? Eeek. $$$$ I hope I can get grad student housing.

I am not motivated to study for the last of my prereqs. I guess it will be good to get me back into the swing of things since I've been out of school for 2 years.

Looking forward to 8 (MSTP) more years of sunshine and 70 degrees days in March.

I'm about 95% sure UCI is where I'll be going, all things considered - so hope to see you all there in August!

Maybe we should all put our screennames instead on those "Hello, my name is:" tags... :p

Hey guys! I'm really excited to meet all of u in August (or maybe at the end of April for the revisit day?) Where r u guys living?? I think I am gonna live in PV, but I'm having a hard time finding out where I am on the waitlist......anyway whatever...ZOT!ZOT! Go uci! :)

Hey everyone. I just found out that I was accepted today. So now I have a chance to return to Cali. Yeah! (Been away on the east coast for 6 years already, 5 years of undergrad + 1 glide year doing research) We've been experiencing some pretty depressing weather over here lately so on the sunny days, I usually find myself in an especially good mood. Dang, I miss Cali. :D Can't wait to fly back for second look weekend. Does anyone know when it is? Is it just one day-April 30? If someone could post the schedule, I would really appreciate it. Or at least the start and end time. Thanks. Hope to meet some of you there!

Congrats docinthemaking on your acceptance. Were you accepted off the alternate list?

docinthemaking said:
Hey everyone. I just found out that I was accepted today. So now I have a chance to return to Cali. Yeah! (Been away on the east coast for 6 years already, 5 years of undergrad + 1 glide year doing research) We've been experiencing some pretty depressing weather over here lately so on the sunny days, I usually find myself in an especially good mood. Dang, I miss Cali. :D Can't wait to fly back for second look weekend. Does anyone know when it is? Is it just one day-April 30? If someone could post the schedule, I would really appreciate it. Or at least the start and end time. Thanks. Hope to meet some of you there!

sdnstud said:
Congrats docinthemaking on your acceptance. Were you accepted off the alternate list?

Thanks! I interviewed about a month ago and was given a straight acceptance. I'm seriously considering UCI, but I haven't made a final decision yet. But if you're on the alternate list and I withdraw, I hope you get my spot!

Hey Guys!!!!!! I am so excited for you all! I'm also a first year at UCI and I have loved every minute of it! A few things:

1) School does start earlier this year. They did it so that they can spread classes/tests out (even though I felt like it was fine). So, you guys get to start in Auguest and we, as second years, will start in Sept. Start working on your athletic skills to get ready for the 2nd Annual MSI-MSII Olympics!

2) Orientation is mandatory (unless policy has changed). If you are not there on the first day, they give your spot away to the next person on the alternate list. I showed up an hour early just in case and I live 10 minutes away!! Please check with the office before missing it!

3) Every day I can't help but think how lucky I am to be a UCI SOM student. I don't know what I did to deserve it, but a single day hasn't passed where I don't find myself smiling for no reason. I have three tag-alongs scheduled for this week - one with an IM resident, and IM Doctor, and a Peds resident. I can't wait!!!!!

4) If you need anything, please pm me and I'll get back to you as soon as I can.

CONGRATS, GUYS!!!
Welcome to the family!

Yeah baby!

yea! congrats!! i just took another look at the revist day invite and unfortunately it doesnt seem to have any times. it just says the day--april 30th. anyhoo, congrats again!! :-D

docinthemaking said:

hotchicalica said:
yea! congrats!! i just took another look at the revist day invite and unfortunately it doesnt seem to have any times. it just says the day--april 30th. anyhoo, congrats again!! :-D

I e-mailed Ellena Peterson and this is what she told me:

"The revisit day is scheduled for Saturday April 30th. The program
will start at 9 AM and will end with a reception around 6. The
admissions office will contact you soon by e-mail about this."

Congrats to all who get accepted to UCI...its really grown on me this year (i'm a MS1). chose it over UCSD..would do again in a heartbeat... goodluck... PM me with any Q's.

docinthemaking said:
I e-mailed Ellena Peterson and this is what she told me:

"The revisit day is scheduled for Saturday April 30th. The program
will start at 9 AM and will end with a reception around 6. The
admissions office will contact you soon by e-mail about this."

Would you mind passing on Dr. Peterson's email address? I've search the website but somehow only end up with the medadmit address. Thanks!

Thanks, doc :)

how'd they contact u about ur acceptance? email, phone call, status page, snail mail?

Synapse, Dr. Peterson called me to tell me I was accepted. (sorta random, on a Sunday evening hehe) I think that's generally how it's done. Then your status page changes I think. No snail mail. Gluck! :luck: