UCLA Admission for Non-Residents

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jol2008

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello Everybody,
I was wondering what are the chances for a non-resident student to get admission to UCLA. Is there any non-California resident who has gottein into UCLA in SDN?
Any input and ideas are appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

I have heard that California state schools are very difficult to get into as an out-of-stater. I do not know anything about UCLA specifically, but I have a friend who got into UCSF as an out-of-stater with 20+ DAT and 3.75+ GPA... so I would imagine it is pretty competitive.

I have heard that California state schools are very difficult to get into as an out-of-stater. I do not know anything about UCLA specifically, but I have a friend who got into UCSF as an out-of-stater with 20+ DAT and 3.75+ GPA... so I would imagine it is pretty competitive.

not true, out of staters are considered on even grounds w/ in staters. it just seems like ucla have more californian's enrolled because there are more applicants that come from california; purely a numbers game

Members don't see this ad :)
not true, out of staters are considered on even grounds w/ in staters. it just seems like ucla have more californian's enrolled because there are more applicants that come from california; purely a numbers game

whatever. the UC's are traditionally protectionist in nature. it's hard as hell to get in from out of state.

I seemed to have a lot more luck as an out of stater at the UC schools than I did at many other schools. Maybe there was something in my application that those east coast schools did not like...

I seemed to have a lot more luck as an out of stater at the UC schools than I did at many other schools. Maybe there was something in my application that those east coast schools did not like...

I also had luck with the UC schools as an out-of-stater.

whatever. the UC's are traditionally protectionist in nature. it's hard as hell to get in from out of state.

well dentstd...what authority do you have to make this statement? are you involved w/ admissions at all because i'm a voting member in the admissions committee, and i can tell you what i said is true.

well dentstd...what authority do you have to make this statement? are you involved w/ admissions at all because i'm a voting member in the admissions committee, and i can tell you what i said is true.

I think dentstd is correct. Last year 671 out-of-state students applied and only 25 were granted interviews. Those are pretty bad odds, and definitely worse than for the in-state applicants. But if you're one of the lucky few that is granted an interview I believe our admissions committee puts you on equal footing with the in-state interviewees. This would make sense too since the UCs are public institutions using state taxes to subsidize the educational costs, and would therefore have a vested interest in trying to train dentists that would be likely to stay in California.

It's hard to say how the UCs work. I got into both of them, yet I'm an Arizona resident.

I appreciate all ur answers. I am planning to apply to UCLA for the 2008 cycle and will be moving to California in July of 2007. Do you guys think that I would be considered a CA resident, since I have been in the state for a year prior to the first day of classes in 2008?

Wow, congratulations to all of you who have been admitted to UCLA despite your non-resident status. Do you mind letting me know of ur stats?

I think dentstd is correct. Last year 671 out-of-state students applied and only 25 were granted interviews. Those are pretty bad odds, and definitely worse than for the in-state applicants. But if you're one of the lucky few that is granted an interview I believe our admissions committee puts you on equal footing with the in-state interviewees. This would make sense too since the UCs are public institutions using state taxes to subsidize the educational costs, and would therefore have a vested interest in trying to train dentists that would be likely to stay in California.

its true that the UCs may favor instaters slightly but its still not that impossible for out of staters to get an interview like all of you are implying. Would it change your mind that of the ~1500 apps only ~150 were interviewed. By and large UCs are tough schools to get into. Maybe perhaps there was something else on the application that did not look favorable. UCLA also has PPID program where they educate foreign trained dentist. One can easily ask why do we train non-US dentist? And really, how would you know if a student has a vested interest in staying at a certain state? i think just because you live in california doesn't necessarily mean that you're going to practice here; that would be a poor indicator. So to those out of staters, i still would invite you to apply.

Members don't see this ad :)
its true that the UCs may favor instaters slightly but its still not that impossible for out of staters to get an interview like all of you are implying. Would it change your mind that of the ~1500 apps only ~150 were interviewed. By and large UCs are tough schools to get into. Maybe perhaps there was something else on the application that did not look favorable. UCLA also has PPID program where they educate foreign trained dentist. One can easily ask why do we train non-US dentist? And really, how would you know if a student has a vested interest in staying at a certain state? i think just because you live in california doesn't necessarily mean that you're going to practice here; that would be a poor indicator. So to those out of staters, i still would invite you to apply.

Yeah it might only be a slight favor compared to other states because I haven't seen anywhere that specifically stated that the UC's preferred CA residents (which i was really hoping for :( ). But looking at other schools in other states they make it very apparent that they give a strong advantage to those instate. I feel pretty screwed over for living in CA.

Yeah it might only be a slight favor compared to other states because I haven't seen anywhere that specifically stated that the UC's preferred CA residents (which i was really hoping for :( ). But looking at other schools in other states they make it very apparent that they give a strong advantage to those instate. I feel pretty screwed over for living in CA.

hmmm....doesn't CA have 5 dental schools, two which are state schools and take around 90% in-state and 3 that are private but still fill the majority of their positions with CA residents. Those are all positions that WILL go to CA residents... some states, such as WA have only 55 spots total, and around 8 of these go to out of state residents. Off the top of my head there is also MI, MD, and MN which give out close to half (give or take) of their spots to out of staters. So I'm not quite sure why you feel screwed over being a CA resident... I think the only schools that absolutely don't take any out of staters are Georgia and Mississippi. All other state schools do indeed take some out of staters. Not to mention that 3 of the schools in CA (UCLA, UCSF, and Pacific) are all very desirable and reputable. just my two cents... i'm bored at work :)

so what are the 5 state schools for CA? UCSF, UCLA, USC...

Two CA public dental schools: UCLA and UCSF
Three CA private dental schools: USC, Pacific and Loma Linda

so what are the 5 state schools for CA? UCSF, UCLA, USC...

State Schools (public): UCLA, UCSF
CA Schools (Private): USC, Loma Linda, UOP

oops sorry, by state schools I meant to say school in that state lol.

hmmm....doesn't CA have 5 dental schools, two which are state schools and take around 90% in-state and 3 that are private but still fill the majority of their positions with CA residents. Those are all positions that WILL go to CA residents... some states, such as WA have only 55 spots total, and around 8 of these go to out of state residents. Off the top of my head there is also MI, MD, and MN which give out close to half (give or take) of their spots to out of staters. So I'm not quite sure why you feel screwed over being a CA resident... I think the only schools that absolutely don't take any out of staters are Georgia and Mississippi. All other state schools do indeed take some out of staters. Not to mention that 3 of the schools in CA (UCLA, UCSF, and Pacific) are all very desirable and reputable. just my two cents... i'm bored at work :)

Yea i know they are all pretty reputable but that makes them very selective too. I guess its not as bad as some states. Its just the competitivness that gets me and none really state that priority is given to CA residents. I feel that in-state im facing very high competition and out of state I have the out-of-stater disadvantage.

Western Health Sciences University is adding a dental school too in 2011 i believe.

Would it change your mind that of the ~1500 apps only ~150 were interviewed.

No, it reinforces my earlier statements. If those numbers are correct it means that 670 out-of-state applicants received 25 interviews, while 830 in-state applicants received the remaining 125 interviews. Doing the math, in-state applicants were 4 times more likely to receive an interview than out-of-staters. That's not a slight preference, that's a huge disparity.

It's not my intention to dissuade out-of-state applicants from applying to the UC dental schools. Please, do apply. But be realistic about your chances. If you're a non-WICHE out-of-state applicant, you will have to be competitive. That's all I'm really trying to say here.