UCLA Alternate List Questions

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

FutrDDS

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone,

I have been granted an interview for the alternate position at UCLA on the 8th of April. From what I understand, they have a total of 88 positions, and they currently have about 59 deposits. They continue interviewing regular students thru the 20th of April. They also said that so far, they have a smaller alternate list than in previous years (17 students only). What does this all mean? Has anyone interviewed as an alternate? Have you heard anything therafter?

I already got into USC, and the $3000 deposit is due on the first of May (I think). Any advice on exactly how high my hopes should get?

Members don't see this ad.

Are you sure the alternate list is only 17 , I heard it was around 50. If this is true, the chance is higher. This is all a big waiting game, you never know. There are some students who got accepted from alt. list.

During my interview on 3/2, there were (I think) 3 people who were interviewing for alternate positions. Of those 3, I know two accepted positions in the USC Class of 2008.

I don't know if this will help you at all, but out of the 6 people who interviewed with me:

- 3 were alternates, 2 of which accepted class standing somewhere else (I don't know about the other person),
- 2 (including me) sent in their deposit.

So, if this the trend of all interview groups, then I'd assume you have a reasonable chance of getting accepted from the alternate list.

Remember, though, if you accept a position at another California school, UCLA will only hold your alternate position until the first day of classes at the other school. This doesn't apply if you secure a position at a school outside of California, though.

Good luck!

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi,

Yeah, the class has 17. I think that some individuals pulled their names off the list. Talk about a waiting game; the decision between SC and LA is difficult, too. I definitely don't want tuition to be the deciding factor if I were accepted to UCLA, too. I need to start considering all the other aspects- PBL, location, etc. etc.

Thanks for the replies! Good luck to you all!

why is ucla interviewing for alternate positions before they even finish interviewing for primary acceptances?

Does anyone know how many people interview for primary positions and how many that interview get accepted?

At my interview, I asked and one of the staff told me they interview about 130 for positions in the class. They look at their applicant files pretty closely before granting interviews.. that's why almost all of us who interviewed are accepted.. and then they have the alternates. Hope this helps a bit.