Strategic Alternate/waitlists

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
D

deleted1153778

[delete]

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited by a moderator:
Do admission teams view in-state students as strategic alternates to deal with melt(students dropping before school starts)? I’m totally speculating here, but it would make sense to hold onto specific in-state applications as alternates because they are more than likely to be guaranteed acceptances and easier to enroll quickly before school starts, compared to OOS students.
it would make sense for them to do so
but no one knows for sure...

Do admission teams view in-state students as strategic alternates to deal with melt(students dropping before school starts)? I’m totally speculating here, but it would make sense to hold onto specific in-state applications as alternates because they are more than likely to be guaranteed acceptances and easier to enroll quickly before school starts, compared to OOS students.
In a way, yes. Many schools, especially the public ones, will have separate in-state and OOS waitlists.

But as time gets closer to matriculation, you bet we notice the ones who live closer to campus. The networking you did before applying and subsequent professional follow-up to stay on the alternate list could help you here, depending on how a program manages the list/s.

There are stories of people on the waitlists showing up on orientation to see if people don't show up so they could be available to take the spot. Some alternates are called a few days after matriculation to take a spot within 24 hours.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Wow, that is bizarre. Is it frowned upon to turn down one of those 24 hour turn around offers, if you’ve already reapplied for the next cycle and you’re willing to wait another cycle?
If you were to include that school in your reapplication, you would take the offer or burn your bridge/chance with that school.

There are stories of people on the waitlists showing up on orientation to see if people don't show up so they could be available to take the spot. Some alternates are called a few days after matriculation to take a spot within 24 hours.
If times are dire, would you recommend doing this?

Another follow up question. If you were to pull your name from a waitlist, without an offer, would that blow all future chances with that school?
I would guess no, but they may assume you got in somewhere else. I would leave your name on the waitlist unless you have acceptance at another school. If you plan on reapplying while on the waitlist, leave it, you may get a surprise later in the summer with short notice to join the incoming class.

Another follow up question. If you were to pull your name from a waitlist, without an offer, would that blow all future chances with that school?
i would say yes...

or are you taking about specialty/residency programs?

I’m planning on reapplying next cycle, however, I’m in a unique situation and it would be better for me to wait another year than a short notice. I just want to make sure I don’t hurt future chances.
I guess then the decision is yours. It may look better if you leave the waitlist and get eventually rejected, and reapply to the school, rather than declining and reapplying as that could look worse for you. Ultimately you will need to assess your options. Do you want to try your shot again with the school that waitlisted you?

I'm a little confused about the situation. If you ended up getting into the school you were waitlisted at, you'd rather try again than risk the possibility of not going to dental school? Huge risk unless it's one of the $$$ schools, then I can understand, but if not, seems off. If you don't want to go to this school, pull the app and just don't reapply there for the next cycle.

I’m planning on reapplying next cycle, however, I’m in a unique situation and it would be better for me to wait another year than a short notice. I just want to make sure I don’t hurt future chances.
Why not stay on the waitlist if you are going to apply again? Could you potentially defer a year at the school if you get accepted this year? But I would stay on the waitlist & if accepted and wanted to defer (only if the school would let you), then do that. Otherwise, if you are unable to defer, & you do not want to attend this upcoming fall, then withdrawing your application might be best. However, I would avoid withdrawing because you never know what happens in life, things change all the time & two months from now you might be wishing you stayed on the waitlist. Someone, please say something if you disagree or think there is a better course of action.

Alternatively, schools could set up tent cities on the off chance that someone may not show up for the first day.

Ideally I would defer, but I don’t know if this school would allow it. I’ll look into it.
Thanks for the info.
Just a fair warning: It's not a good look to get accepted off the waitlist and THEN ask for a deferral. Most schools will not grant deferrals unless there is a significant circumstances that it would be better to start the following year, like a serious illness.

Reactions: 1 users
Status
Not open for further replies.