UCLA Alternate List?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
D

DDS2009

!

Members don't see this ad.

DDS2009 said:
Has anyone else been placed on this list, or invited for an interview to be placed on this list? They haven't filled their class yet, so I'm wondering why they are already putting students on the wait list?

Also, does anyone know what percentage of students on the alternate list get accepted? Basically, what are the chances? Thanks!
How do you know that they are already putting students on the alternate list?

Have they placed you on waitlist? I wouldnt hope for too much.

Members don't see this ad :)
Don't listen to any of these naysayers...I was interviewed as an alternate at UCLA and accepted a week later...do well at your interview and they may not even put you on the waitlist.

Thanks Canthacklt! Was that for this cycle? Thanks!

canthacklt said:
Don't listen to any of these naysayers...I was interviewed as an alternate at UCLA and accepted a week later...do well at your interview and they may not even put you on the waitlist.

allow me to elaborate.

for some reason, ucla accepts a really high percentage(likely to be higher than 90%) of their interviewees.
so for that reason, alternate acceptance rate seems a lot lower(relatively speaking). Of cos I know there are people got accepted to the program from alternate.
but the number is not as high as 90%.

In any case, this is what i would do. i would prepare a new transcript and a list of activities that you have done since turning in your secondaries. prepare well. people from high power told us that they are not going to interview people they are not interested. good luck

Where do you get the ~90% information from? Did an admissions committee member tell you that? Sources?

thanks

ecdoesit said:
allow me to elaborate.

for some reason, ucla accepts a really high percentage(likely to be higher than 90%) of their interviewees.
so for that reason, alternate acceptance rate seems a lot lower(relatively speaking). Of cos I know there are people got accepted to the program from alternate.
but the number is not as high as 90%.

In any case, this is what i would do. i would prepare a new transcript and a list of activities that you have done since turning in your secondaries. prepare well. people from high power told us that they are not going to interview people they are not interested. good luck

would they actually tell you if you are interviewing for an alternate spot?

If so, could you assume that your werent interviewing for an alternate spot if they didnt tell you that you were?

you might have to read those questions twice :)

As far as I know, the early days, they accepts pretty much everybody.
Unless they find somehting wrong or the applicant was lying.
I have talked with many people(most of them got accepted but some chose to go to another sch) I know one person who got interview, but didnt get in. That's one person out of 89 people, so definitely over 90%

For alternate, they will tell u on their email telling u that u r interview for alternate list
if it doesnt say so, it means it is the official position.

Uhh, not necessarily Eco :D .
Last year, there were a couple of people who were interviewing for an “official spot” but then got waitlisted/an alternate spot. Also, I know of a person who was interviewing for an “alternate spot” and got in.
I’m not really sure why they do the “official” interviews and the “alternate” interviews. But I guess if you’re really curious, you could call/ e-mail.

Hey everyone, thanks for the posts! So, my next question is do you guys have any advice for the UCLA interview? Is it more of a casual conversation? Any tips on what to ask them at the end? Thanks

EightDaysAWeek said:
Uhh, not necessarily Eco :D .
Last year, there were a couple of people who were interviewing for an “official spot” but then got waitlisted/an alternate spot. Also, I know of a person who was interviewing for an “alternate spot” and got in.
I’m not really sure why they do the “official” interviews and the “alternate” interviews. But I guess if you’re really curious, you could call/ e-mail.

DDS2009 said:
Hey everyone, thanks for the posts! So, my next question is do you guys have any advice for the UCLA interview? Is it more of a casual conversation? Any tips on what to ask them at the end? Thanks

Hey DDS2009, my interview was just this past Monday. My advice is to prepare by reading some ADA articles on insurance and anything pertaining to the future of dentistry. The interview wasn't conversational but each questions was relevant to the ones before. I had 2 faculty member interviewer so be prepare to make eyecontact with both. Other than that, it's probably not as hard as you think. Be yourself, I think that's really all you need to do when it comes down to it.

GOOD Luck, and hopefully I'll see you next year :D

What type of questions on insurance and new things in dentistry do they ask?

Members don't see this ad :)
How's the essay question?

In our class, I know of at least 9 or 10 people who interviewed for alternate positions.

ecodesit is right...we accept abot 85-90% of the students we interview...but what he didn't think of is that not all of the students that UCLA accepts will decide to attend.

This means that people on the waitlist or people interviewing for an alternate spot shouldn't lose hope. Hopefully I'll see all you guys here next year. =)

The essay question was basically what is the future of dentistry? Pretty straight forward and easy to address if you've done some prior research. I also prepared by reading up on dental insurance just to be more knowledgeable. Someone in an earlier post wrote about dental insurance so I assume his/her essay question was relevant in that topic.

Was anyone put on the Alternate List for this cycle? If so, what is your status now..did you get an acceptance? Please PM me because I have a few questions. :D

Yeah. Also, whatever you wrote in your essay, they will read it, so be prepared to talk about during the actual conversation with the interviewers. I keep posting this on SDN because no one ever told me about it before I went to the interview.

Did anyone interview as an alternate for this cycle, and get an acceptance yet?

Has anyone received the letter that indciates your position on the wait list yet?

I wonder how many students will get accepted off the waitlist for this cycle

DDS2009 said:
Did anyone interview as an alternate for this cycle, and get an acceptance yet?

Has anyone received the letter that indciates your position on the wait list yet?

I wonder how many students will get accepted off the waitlist for this cycle

im actually interviewing this friday, the 29th, which is the last date for alternate interviews. i think sarah mentioned that if you are accepted as an alternate, you will be notified the first week of may of your position.

as far as i know, by this time last yr, i got a phone call from sarah to tell me to make up my mind. so some time in the future, u may see the list moving as people withdraw.

and ziptree is right on. not everybody accepted to ucla will go there. i m thinking about being a student interviewer next year. maybe then i will find out more how everything works.

let me just add that there are plenty of people who got accepted after june, so be patience. if it is ur destiny, then it is urs. believe us, you will have plenty of time to wait later on, especially in the lab and in the clinics. good luck

I've known i was going to UOP for a long time but I just recently let UCLA know that I'm going to UOP instead. so there's one spot for ya.

oh and the thing about them reading your interview essay and talking about it is true. one reads it and looks over your whole file the other often doesn't so that they get two different perspectives of you. one who knows your background and another who gets a first impression from you. so don't bull**** in your essay because they're gonna ask you about it, one other weird thing, (which really turned me off to the interviewers) was when they ask you a question the two of them will sometimes discuss your answer to each other right in front of you as if you aren't there. Maybe it's just to see if you get rattled. Not sure but it was a bit weird so be ready for something like that.

juggamynugga said:
one other weird thing, (which really turned me off to the interviewers) was when they ask you a question the two of them will sometimes discuss your answer to each other right in front of you as if you aren't there. Maybe it's just to see if you get rattled. Not sure but it was a bit weird so be ready for something like that.

I think you mentioned this in another thread as well.

Interestingly enough, they also did that with me, but I thought it is openly refreshing because then I know what they are thinking about and thus I can reply, or change their view if necessary.

I thought it is interesting that you didn't like it.

Well. UOP is an excellent school, everyone seem to debate between UOP and UC's.

But for me, UOP never attracted me. I think I wanted a more didactic education.

anyone heard anything lately? I was waitlisted a couple of weeks ago and am eagerly awaiting any news, good or bad. The wait is killing me, its almost been a year, :eek:

hootanfellows said:
anyone heard anything lately? I was waitlisted a couple of weeks ago and am eagerly awaiting any news, good or bad. The wait is killing me, its almost been a year, :eek:

i think we should be hearing something this week.
anyone know if the class is full yet though?

Jurrel-
Is UCLA your top choice? Are you going to go to UCLA if you get accepted?

I wish you all the best of luck! And hopefully we will be classmates.

=)

LSN said:
Jurrel-
Is UCLA your top choice? Are you going to go to UCLA if you get accepted?

I wish you all the best of luck! And hopefully we will be classmates.

=)

duhhhhhh! haha, dont tell the usc peeps though :p
but yeah, ucla is definately my top choice (usc a close 2nd), and i would go in a heartbeat! i just had my interview last friday so hopefully things will work out. *crosses fingers* thanks for the support LSN, i wish you the same too :)

Hey-
Don't worry I was in the same boat as you. I got into UCLA and never paid my second deposit to USC (which was due today actually)! So, I guess I'm a Bruin again! Definitely let us know what happens. Either way, you are going to be at a great school.

:)

so, its the first week of may already, has anyone heard from ucla?

jurrel said:
so, its the first week of may already, has anyone heard from ucla?

nope i'm wondering if i should call. This waiting process really sucks!

yagoubian said:
nope i'm wondering if i should call. This waiting process really sucks!

haha, man, i was thinking the exact same thing

Good luck.

jurrel-
USC people have lots more free time than us. ;)
They pay more, but think of it as paying for a less stressful time in dental school. Might be worth it. =P

Hey guys. Just curious about the UCLA waitlist. Sarah Johnson mentioned we should be receiving notices of where we stand on the list early this week. I still havent received anything. Has anyone heard from them lately? Anyone know if they still still have open spots? Also, how many people are usually taken from the waitlist every year. Sarah also mentioned that there are about 50 people on the waitlist. Good luck to all on the waitlist.

I saw Sarah a few days ago, and from what she told me, the class is full. So, I'm not quite sure how they will pick people off the waitlist from this point on.

But good luck to everyone!

quoting the letter i got today:

"dear jurrel mustafa ali akbar,
you have been selected as an alternate for the class enrolling in september of 2005 into the ucla school of dentistry. as an alternate, you will be notified in the event a vacancy occurs prior to registration in september 2005. you are in the (insert high, medium, or low) percentage of our alternate list. For your information, in the past we have admitted as few as one alternate from this listing and as many as 50 alternates."

so the wait is on....again

p.s. i dont know whether or not it is appropriate to post my position percentage, so i just wrote "high medium or low" to be safe....and the name part was cuz i was in a giddy mood :p

good luck everyone.

ziptree said:
Good luck.

jurrel-
USC people have lots more free time than us. ;)
They pay more, but think of it as paying for a less stressful time in dental school. Might be worth it. =P

I've heard they score pretty low on the NBDE.

quick question: around what time can one expect the ucla alternate list to start moving?

jurrel said:
quick question: around what time can one expect the ucla alternate list to start moving?

i am on the alternate list but haven't heard anything yet. do you know if there are 3 catagories for the alt list (high, medium, low)? or is it just high and low? just curious...

bouncy_ball said:
i am on the alternate list but haven't heard anything yet. do you know if there are 3 catagories for the alt list (high, medium, low)? or is it just high and low? just curious...

theres 3 categories from what ive heard.

jurrel said:
theres 3 categories from what ive heard.

In physics, for any object to move, it will need a force behind it. In order for this list to move, it will also require a force.

Doesnt the law also states there is another force acting on opposite direction.
Hum, I wonder what that force is...

I think it is more like chemistry though.
La Chatelier Principle.
People applying/interviewer + People on waitlist <-> People got accepted.
Dude, this is too dorky to explain.

ecdoesit said:
Doesnt the law also states there is another force acting on opposite direction.
Hum, I wonder what that force is...

I think it is more like chemistry though.
La Chatelier Principle.
People applying/interviewer + People on waitlist <-> People got accepted.
Dude, this is too dorky to explain.

haha, im just wondering when the force of "students-declining-ucla-for-ucsf-or-elsewhere" will cause the alternate list to overcome its inertia and commence its motion? is it usually around june?