UCLA Charles Drew vs. Wake Forest vs. Albert Einstein

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Nyu2004

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
HELP ME PLEASE!!!
I am literally going insane. I have to decide by May 25th and right now I am leaning towards Wake Forest. Am I insane???

Members don't see this ad.

yes. go to ucla

I would say location should play a large factor here (since these are all great schools) - do you want to live in NYC/Bronx, small townish North Carolina, or Los Angeles/Westwood?

I am assuming from your username that you are not a CA resident, so the $$ will be pretty similar (though perhaps $20-$40K more for Einstein or Drew over the 4 years).

I don't think you're crazy at all for considering Wake Forest - I've always had a soft spot for them myself, for some reason - it seems like a great place to be. Also, this is probably be the cheapest option of the three in front of you - I'd add up their estimated budgets and see how it looks (I'm assuming you don't have time to get financial aid packages).

Good luck deciding! Now here's hoping that my waitlists starting moving! :)

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks Babel. Where are you waitlisted at. I was waitlised at Wake Forest and just got off. I went to NYU for undergrad but am a CA resident. Drew would be the cheapest but there are currently some internal problems there. Do you think Albert Einstein carries more weight than Wake Forest?

Thanks Babel. Where are you waitlisted at. I was waitlised at Wake Forest and just got off. I went to NYU for undergrad but am a CA resident. Drew would be the cheapest but there are currently some internal problems there. Do you think Albert Einstein carries more weight than Wake Forest?

Don't let those "internal probelms" worry you or sway your decision. Drew students are still UCLA students, we sit in the same classroom, take the same test, go to the same white coat ceremony/graduation, and now rotate threw the same hospitals (be it with a focus on the underserved/county hospitals). And we match just as well as ucla main program. If you have any paticular questions hollar at ya boy.

Congrats on your acceptances!! Regardless of where u go, those three schools are all amazing. I think you get out of medical school what you put into it and the more opportunities that medical school provides, the more chances you have to reap the rewards of your hard work.

I believe any school in the NYC area will provide you with the best opportunities to grow both as a human being and as a future doctor. The city is loaded with quality hospitals in a small area that will allow you to perform away rotations. Let's say you all of a sudden you become interested in a specialty, I guarentee one of the hospitals in NYC will have an excellent program for you to do an away rotation in that specialty. If you go to Wake Forest or UCLA, you may have a harder time networking with someone since you would have to travel a distance to get to that hospital. I would assume all the doctors know all the doctors in their specialty in the NYC area. The same probably can't be said for that in Cali and NC.

Living in NYC for the four years you are there will also provide u a more diverse lifestyle and group of activities to choose from.

My vote is for AE, but any of them would be amazing!

HELP ME PLEASE!!!
I am literally going insane. I have to decide by May 25th and right now I am leaning towards Wake Forest. Am I insane???

Were u accepted to Drew?

Yep, got the call today.

Yep, got the call today.
Congrats on the acceptance. Great program.

Did they sort out their where the rotations are going to be yet? Is it looking like Harbor?

UCLA, you may have a harder time networking with someone since you would have to travel a distance to get to that hospital.

meh. everyone in LA drives everywhere, people from the outside just don't get it. They act like driving 20 miles is a huge burden but it's literally nothing for a los angelino.

but on the flip side, you can get a righteous quad/glut workout at aecom on friday nights when the elevators turn off.

but on the flip side, you can get a righteous quad/glut workout at aecom on friday nights when the elevators turn off.[/QUOTE]

I thought that was only with Mt. Sinai's hospitals? I hear the elevators actually stop at every floor so that you technically are not doing any work pushing the buttons.... I could be wrong so fill me in if you have any info.