UCLA class 2007

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

subee

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello, I'm entering UCLA in August and wanted to see if I could meet any of my classmates ahead of time, and possibly find roomates.

Let's see, I'm 22 Female; I graduated from Brown in May 2002 and have been in D.C. since then. I'm originally from Marin County (across from San Francisco); specifically San Rafael.

Info about myself as roomate: non-smoker; definitely like to host dinners and movies from time to time but also living in a place where I can study. (i.e. I am not crazy about having stereos that shake the walls.) I would say that I am friendly, respect the space of my roomates, pay my rent on time always, and do a decent job of maintaining the sanitation of my apartment. I am open to living with guys and girls.

anyway, I hope to meet some of you before August 4. My email is [email protected]

Members don't see this ad.

this almost sounds like a personal ad...

Yeah, I meant it more like a roomate ad....

Members don't see this ad :)
For apartments, I would recommend california apartments. I used to live there and it's very quite part of westwood but real close to school. It's just north of the Unocal.

Thanks Jalby; that sounds perfect. Is the rent decent?

Originally posted by subee
Thanks Jalby; that sounds perfect. Is the rent decent?
Nope. Everything is expensive there.

Hi Class of 2007.
Congrats on getting in and good luck next year.
I am class of 2006 and I have really enjoyed my first year.
It is the week before finals and I can not believe I am a week away from finishing my first year of medical school.
UCLA is a great place to go. They are kind to the students, the tests are fair and P/F, and there are lots of things to do outside of school.
As for housing if you want something affordable try looking a little farther from Campus, Palms or West LA. Things can be expensive around campus, but walking to class and being close to everything is a nice luxury. Good luck with the new curriculum next year.
Enjoy your summer, don't even think of working, studying, or anything of the sort. Travel or do something you have not had the chance to do.
:clap: :clap: :clap:

I'm really glad to hear that you love the school so much. From my interview visit, I loved the surrounding area and the vibrancy of the campus. I am definitely happy to hear that there's the opportunity to enjoy some it and not be buried in books all the time.

hey guys,

I'll be going to ucla next year too. Does anyone know how parking works at ucla? I heard that all med students are guaranteed some sort of parking (at parking lot 9? 8?)..is that true? thanks!

dpy

That's true.
You're guaranteed parking as a first and second year. Most people got Lot 8 which is convenient to school, other people got stuck with one that's further from CHS, lot 3 maybe?

Unfortunately, the price is a little hefty at $500+ for a year long permit. And there's stack parking when the undergrads are in session. But you should get all this stuff in the packets they'll send you over the summer. I think Dayna Moore in the SAO handles all the parking stuff if you're getting itchy to talk parking. ;)

Welcome to the med school! :clap:
I've gotta echo entropy's comments about school. I love it here still, even despite having exams Monday. :cool:

About Parking,
Make sure that you buy lot 8 for the whole year and do it promptly, that way you will not get stuck with lot 3. As for stack parking I heard that there is a new structure being built and they might not have to stack park anymore.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi entropy,
I applied for university apartment for married students two weeks ago. They said that the average waiting time is 9-12 months. Should I look for somewhere else to rent while i'm waiting? Is it hard to find apartment in LA?

Originally posted by lphuong
Hi entropy,
I applied for university apartment for married students two weeks ago. They said that the average waiting time is 9-12 months. Should I look for somewhere else to rent while i'm waiting? Is it hard to find apartment in LA?

Hi lphuong, how does university housing work? I would like to live near classmates next year and since UCLA doesn't have a common residental facility for its entering medical students, it seems like university housing would be the next closest thing. also, how did you sign up?

Alrighty, I'll answer a few of these questions.

There is graduate housing, but it is VERY hard to get, but very cheap and very worth it. To get it first year, you'll prolly have to find a second year to live with who already has an apartment. Most of the aparments are in culver city or palms, 15 minute drive from school

If you want to walk to school, the best places are Tiverton and Hilgard. Anywhere on there is great, but it's hard to get. Hilgard is sorority row, BTW. It would be a 5 minute walk to school

If you want to live in westwood walking distance, then you should live in the south part of westwood near the chevron. It's quite there and not many partys, but a 10 minute walk.

There are some buses that drive around UCLA and drop you off right in front of the medical school. There is a stop south of whilshire which is nice in that you get a ride back and forth and you are in very nice apartments. These apartments are just south of the Hollywood video in westwood just south of whileshire.

Alright. I'll write about culver city and palms later.

Thanks Jalby,
Jalby is right. The university apartments are cheap and relatively nice. They are also hard to come by. They are 3 or 4 miles away. It can be a quick drive at night and takes a while during rush hour. But you can find inexpensive places around palms and culver ciy even if you don't land a university apartment. Apartments in LA can be hard to find I suppose. Westside rentals is OK, so is just driving around figuring out where you want to live and calling managers. I have not found any majical secrets to apartment hunting. It is a pain.
let me know if you have any more questions.

Does anyone know about the university scholarships? When should we find out whether we got one or not?

Has any one got any more 411 on parking? They haven't sent me jack, is this cuz I'm in the drew program? Do you guys in the UCLA main program have any info on parking?

here you go...

http://www.transportation.ucla.edu/parking/sparkinf.htm

2003-2004 APPLICATION DEADLINES

Summer Session: Available starting May 1, 2003 on a first-come, first-serve basis only. Additional Summer Parking Information

Fall Quarter: Available June 09, 2003
Due August 1, 2003

Winter Quarter: Available September 29, 2003
Due October 31, 2003

Spring Quarter: Available January 5, 2004
Due January 30, 2004

I'm in the UCLA regular class and I have received very little info from them (some basics on financial aid but that's it) so you're not the only one.

In terms of parking the regular deadlines do not apply to medical students. The medical school gives all students parking and they already have an arrangement with the parking services. They just sometimes run out of lot 8 and give you lot 3. You will get all of the parking information forms in the mail with the rest of your materials. Just once you get it and go to orientation take it to the Student Advising Office and get it taken care of. I think I remember them giving you a completed parking application once you give them the forms. You walk over to parking services and give them to application. Parking services is by lot 8.

As for financial aid I think all the applications for the incoming class should be online. Go to www.medstudent.ucla.edu and click on financial aid on the left. The forms are long and annoying, start fillng them out. Once you turn them in it takes a while to find out your award. You can call 310-825-4321 to get the med school fin aid office # to ask them for clarification if you need it. In terms of scholarships I know people who got grants and scholarships as parts of there award, but they did not know about it until a little while before foundations week. As for the few who got scholarship offers before deciding to attend ucla there were not many. If you got one then you should already have an idea of how much it is. The fin aid office is prettey fair.
Good luck guys and chill. If you are in then relax. Everything will fall into place.
Just one word of advice if you have never had anatomy keep up with it during the year and try to review the sturctures as they come up once a week or every other week by actually going into the lab. Makes things a lot easier come exam time.

Good lookin out, entropy.

For a second, I thought I was being treated like a step-child, but I guess they haven't sent much out to anybody. All I've gotten from the school is this form with a bunch of bar code stickers.

Originally posted by Deuce 007 MD
Good lookin out, entropy.

For a second, I thought I was being treated like a step-child, but I guess they haven't sent much out to anybody. All I've gotten from the school is this form with a bunch of bar code stickers.

That's exactly what I got too.:)

The bar codes are for your fin aid forms. You can print them out once you have filled them out. Then you put your bar codes on and you are good to go. :)

thanks entropy. I really appreciate all of your advice.

Has anyone filled out the UCLA financial aid forms?

RIDICULOUS. It took me nearly 5 hours to fill all that crap out, and I'm not even sure I'm going to go!

I'm so angry after that. I better get some grants!

As a UCLA student not a day goes by that I don't HATE our financial aif office. Get used to it.
P.s. You probably won't get anything either.

Originally posted by Rhiana
As a UCLA student not a day goes by that I don't HATE our financial aif office. Get used to it.
P.s. You probably won't get anything either.

Hi Rhiana,

Why do you say that? I've had pretty good experiences with them so far....

Originally posted by Deuce 007 MD
All I've gotten from the school is this form with a bunch of bar code stickers.

I'm really tempted to wear one of my bar code stickers on my forehead while shopping for groceries...:laugh:

And thanks to all you fabulous current UCLA students who have taken the time to give us such helpful info--hope to meet you all in August!

Rhiana,
Sorry to hear that you have had such bad experiences with the fin aid office. The forms are long. But, I guess there are a mix of experiences at every school. I know many people that have had reasonable if not good experiences as well.
To all the incoming students just fill out your forms as best as you can, submit them, and wait. No need to worry about something until you get the outcome.
BTW do not get impatient with the award letter. It does take a while. Usually not too soon before school actually starts. But in the end things fall into place and you will be so consumed with school you will not even remember any of this.
Good Luck

hi guys...
i've been reading through your posts about housing---thanks for the info!

it definitely looks like the UCLA apartments are a no-go---since the waitlist for them is so long. since i'm an out of towner (currently in NYC), it's going to be tougher to find housing there. have any of you already gotten your apartments?

when are you planning on moving out there? since the orientation starts on august 4th---obviously before then...

thanks!

I'm probably heading down to LA in mid-July. It depends on how soon I find a place. I'm currently in DC so I'm having the same problem of being far away and looking for housing.

oh btw, are you at Mt. Sinai right now doing research? I met a girl from NYC during the UCLA interview.

Originally posted by Miss Dr.
it definitely looks like the UCLA apartments are a no-go---since the waitlist for them is so long.

You can get into the UCLA apartments if someone who already lives there needs a new roommate--just check the UCLA housing database for roommate ads. It is a bit harder trying to find a place from out-of-state, but I spoke with a current student who told me it only took her one weekend to score an apartment last year.

you can also look for apartments south of wilshire and in the brentwood area...
i live in tiverton, 2 min walk to CHS, a lot of med students live in my bldg but rent is petty high at $550 to share a room

Thanks to all who've been so generous with their insights! On the issue of housing, I was wondering if I should be in a rush to make arrangements in the next month? A 1st year told me that I should have no problem finding good housing options even during the last few weeks of July.

The reason I am asking this is because I will be off to Peru in 2 weeks and won't be back until mid July. After I finish teaching jr. high (8th graders + warm weather = savage beasts! :mad: ), I'll have only one weekend to scout around for a place to live before I fly out.

Thanks folks!

yes, this is generally true because ucla undergrad ends mid june and starts around sept 26-28. so you can guestimate that around mid july is the turnover for most of the apts. in my case, i didn't have problems getting an apt.

i meant yes, you should have no major problems getting an apt mid july.

Hi everyone! In terms of apts, I've been staying at this place on Iowa and Corinth for the past year. It's very quiet and a good price for the area. It only takes about 5-10 minutes to drive to campus and there is a police department w/i a block. There is a 1 bedroom available right now and another one that will be opening up w/i the next couple of months. PM me if you want more info.

Hey guys, have you gotten any information in the mail about Orientation Week yet? I just went to the Entering Students Website and found all this new stuff under Orientation that I hadn't seen before . I haven't gotten anything in the mail yet, so I don't know where to send all of these forms with July 9th due dates.

Can someone give me the return addresses for the Bruincard and White Coat Ceremony forms?

Thanks bunches ~

The Bruin Card and White Coat forms go to the Office of Student Affairs, Center for Health Sciences 10833 Le Conte Ave LA, 90095. Hope this helps.

hey

If any of you are interested in subletting a very cheap and convenient studio during the month of July, PM me.

It's walking distance to UCLA and its' 467.50 per month. I'll pro rate you per day if you are interested.

It a studio to be shared with a very quiet, studious roomate who is rarely there anyways.