UCLA Courses/Schedule

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

antidote

5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone,
I was checking up the courses listed on the UCLA website (http://uclasod.dent.ucla.edu/curriculum/index.asp?id=294) ... do students take all the classes listed under a certain quarter or just a subset of them?

ie. do you take all of these courses listed in the fall of year 1? :eek:

Anat104 - Histology & Cell Biology - Campbell
Biochem205 - Biological Chemistry & Nutrition - Neufeld
CL401.28a - Course Evaluation Rotation - Lindemann
DS401a - Clinical Evaluation I - Messadi
OB441a - Methods in Evidence-based Dentistry Intro. - Chiappelli
Phys100 - Elements of Human Physiology - Wayne
RT411a - Intro to Dental Waxing - Bibb
RT421a - Dental Morphology & Occlusion - Bibb
RT431a - Dental Materials - Caputo

and all of these in winter of year 3 :eek:

Winter

CL403.01b Endodontic Clinic - Shane White
CL403.02b Clinical Restorative Dentistry - Stevenson
CL403.05b Oral Radiology Rotation - Yeung
CL403.06b Oral Surgery Rotation - Shetty
CL403.07b Clinical Pediatric Dentistry - Jedrychowski
CL403.08b Clinical Orthodontics - Law
CL403.09b Clinical Periodontics - Camargo
CL403.10b Clinical Prosthodontics - Roumanas
CL403.11b Patient Management III - Bibb
CL403.16b Venice Clinic Rotation - Christie
CL403.17b Occlusion/ Orofacial Pain Rotation - Pullinger
CL403.19b Clinical Preventive Dentistry - Spolsky
CL403.23b Nitrous Oxide Clinic - Quinn
CL403.26b Clinical Treatment Planning - Woods
CL403.27b Oral Diagnosis Rotation - Messadi/ Younai
CL403.28b Course Evaluation Rotation - Lindemann
DS403b Introduction to Hospital Dentistry - Sung
DS423b Radiographic Differential Diagnosis - Tetradis
DS433b Behavioral Pediatric Dentistry - Blain
DS443b Pediatric Dentistry - Jedrychowski
DS463b Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery - Shetty
DS473b Orthodontics - Pae
DS483b Oral Pathology - Christensen
PH413b Regulation of Dental Practice - Yamamoto
PH423b Health Policy Issues - Marcus
RT413b Advanced Partial Dentures - Beumer
RT423b Advanced Fixed Prosthodontics - Stevenson

...just curious...and kind of worried :eek: :eek: :eek:

Members don't see this ad.

antidote said:
Hey everyone,
I was checking up the courses listed on the UCLA website (http://uclasod.dent.ucla.edu/curriculum/index.asp?id=294) ... do students take all the classes listed under a certain quarter or just a subset of them?

For a better idea of UCLA's schedule, go to this link:
http://uclasod.dent.ucla.edu/scripts/publish/webevent.pl

You can select year one, two, three, or four by changing the 'category' on the upper right, then you can change the date.

The classes you have listed for Fall of 1st year are accurate, but the ones listed for 3rd year include clinical requirements that aren't taken as classes. In other words, you pass some of these courses (the ones with the prefix CL) by fulfilling cetain clinical requirements.

Hope that helps.

For the link I gave, you have to click on "curriculum" to get to the class schedule I was talking about.

Members don't see this ad :)
Make sure you select the appropriate year also. Yes, for some quarters we have a hell of a lot of classes. Once you get into 3rd year the classes that start with 'clinical' are not classes per say. They simply track your clinical progress in that department.

There were a couple of minor changes to the first year schedule. Gross anatomy is now in the Fall with Physiology & Histology in the Winter.

antidote said:
Hey everyone,

ie. do you take all of these courses listed in the fall of year 1? :eek:

Reading this makes me feel I should be studying for one of those classes. *sob* dental school is fun, but after a while, the initial novelty disappears.

*shakes his fist at Anatomy*

I wish I learned more in class. I wish I *learned* more in every class, as opposed to memorizing for the exams and then forgetting 30, 40% of the material right after.

ziptree said:
*shakes his fist at Anatomy*

I wish I learned more in class. I wish I *learned* more in every class, as opposed to memorizing for the exams and then forgetting 30, 40% of the material right after.
I'm with you on that.

If the above is your schedule, yeah you take all of them at the same time but all of them with the exceptions of histo, biochem, and physio meet only once a week (actually we had CE I once every other week) and the course evaluation rotation is just filling out course evaluations at the end of the quarter (only 1/4 of the class does it each quarter...it's more of a requirement than a class). It's kind of like taking 3 bio classes with a bunch of dental extras...you'll survive. Pass/fail also helps.

I hate to break it to you...but unfortunately, that IS our first year schedule. You have 8 classes some quarters in first year and 10 classes in Spring quarter. 2nd year we have 13 classes! Welcome to the world of UCLA DENTAL SCHOOL! :)

Oh and as far as housing goes...that won't be a problem at all. Just make sure you bring a sleeping bag and pillow. Your new home will be the 8th floor Grad Reading Room.

Toodles.

LSN said:
I hate to break it to you...but unfortunately, that IS our first year schedule. You have 8 classes some quarters in first year and 10 classes in Spring quarter. 2nd year we have 13 classes! Welcome to the world of UCLA DENTAL SCHOOL! :)

Oh and as far as housing goes...that won't be a problem at all. Just make sure you bring a sleeping bag and pillow. Your new home will be the 8th floor Grad Reading Room.

One question are these courses doable. Do you have any free time? Are you guys in Ucla able to take some breaks on weekends?

LSN said:

Toodles.
Come on. It's not that bad. Don't scare the pre-DS1's off.

sheri said:
LSN said:

One question are these courses doable. Do you have any free time? Are you guys in Ucla able to take some breaks on weekends?
Everyone in the class studies. They all have their note system. Everyone have these handwritten summarized sheets they walk around with.
There's plenty of time to study. I don't compromise my sleep but I do comprise my social time. But then, there are so much class time, that being in class is like a social event these days. I don't plan activites on weekends, because that is the longest stretch of time we have to sit down, study and focus. Weekdays are just to hectic, random and spontaneous - hard to get study done during those days. Feel free to ask more questions or PM me if you wish. Dental school is great. I love it, and I don't care what anybody else says. You have to like school to like dental school. If studying is peaceful to you, like me, dental school will be awesome.

OK, here's my recipe for success:
1. Go to classes.
2. If there's a quiz, read the notes for it.
3. Study hard 1 week before exams. (Most days I didn't study after school)
4. Watch TV the rest of the time.

Disclaimer: depending on your intellectual capacity you may need to lengthen or shorten your study time as necessary. :p