Howard vs Drew

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

LocalThrowAway

New Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hi everyone! I've been lucky enough to get an acceptance at Drew and now have to make a decision! I also currently don't have a specialty in mind yet, in case that makes a difference.

School: Howard
Pros:

· More established
· *Good match list (?)
· New City, change of pace. DC seems like a fun place to be.
· Close to NIH, access to good research opportunities.
· Has associated hospital (advantage for getting residency for competitive specialties?)
· Public transportation system (Possibly don’t need a car?)
· HBCU school culture seems like a lot of fun!

Cons:

· Far from support system (Would be moving across the country)
· Apartments near campus seem pretty expensive
· Weather (only two seasons where I live, hot and cold. Never have had to deal with snow.)
· Large class size (120 students)
· School doesn’t give out much in the way of financial aid.


School Charles R. Drew
Pros:

· Close to support system (few hour drive away)
· Its L.A. (lots of good food, opportunities, things to do etc…)
· Housing is slightly cheaper
· Smaller class size (60 students)
· GF could move with me, saving me a lot on living expenses.
· Geographically close to the community I want to one day work with.
· Lots of good med schools in SoCal, possibly lots of good opportunities and connections?

Cons:

· Its L.A. (high COL, lots of crazy traffic, car is necessary to get anywhere)
· New school (though they were previously a UCLA SOM program. Granted, I don’t know how much weight that will hold in the grand scheme of things)
· Have yet to graduate first class (no match data)
· No associated hospital
· Unsure of financial aid situation

Summary: Howard is more established but far from my support system. Drew is super new, but would let me stay in California which is where I one day want to practice. Both seem to have similar estimated COA (I am also WL’ed at a school that I would go to over both of these, but they historically have very low WL movement.)


*Tbh I don’t know what defines a good match list but their match list seems pretty decent to me
 
Last edited: