UCLA Extension

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Nalia B

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does anybody know anything about taking the pre-reqs on your own without a formal program? From lots of searching through the forums I have read glimpses of people going at it themseleves through UCLA Ext., but I'm wondering if anybody knows if it's possible to get into med school by completing the pre-reqs yourself. I am in LA now and am growing concerned about the relocation costs to NYC for Hunter, and I'm also a CA Resident so clearly the tuition would be much cheaper!

I'd REALLY appreciate some advice or guidance. THX!

Members don't see this ad.

Many people go through an informal program - they are usually cheaper and more convenient. The downside is usually a lack of advising and reputation for very small schools.

UCLA has a great reputation and if you can get good grades there you will get a lot of respect from the adcomms. The only potential problem is that you might not be able to get in some classes because they are full. When you go through extention you can't enroll until the 3rd week and so you have to wait to see if you will get in. If you look at how long the wait-lists are then you can pretty much know if you will get in or not. If you don't mind having a little uncertainty in your schedule then it would be a great option. There are also several formal post-bac programs around LA so you don't have to go to NY unless you really want to.

Members don't see this ad :)
Well, I’ve created an account specifically for the reason of replying to this thread and keeping you on the straight and narrow :) .

Once upon a time I was taking my premedical, postbac coursework through UC Davis Extension, having been erroneously led to believe that I would be able to adequately complete all the needed prerequisites via this avenue.

However, after much frustration and talking to many people within the UC system, I discovered the error of this approach. Put simply, all introductory Biology and Physics classes (and very often Chemistry) are severely impacted throughout the entire UC system. The impaction is continuing to get worse each year at EVERY campus.

The waitlists for such classes are enormous, and, as an Extension student, one CANNOT put one’s name down on them. Further, since these classes are limited by available laboratory size, professors simply cannot make exceptions and admit Extension students to their classes. What this means is that you will never be able to take Biology or Physics during the regular school year at UCLA. You would have to take these courses during the Summer. Hence an informal program would take you considerably longer than a formal program, as most of your coursework must be done during summers exclusively.

I have known many people who have tried to complete their requirements through the UC system, and all of them, without exception, have faced this problem. Learn from the mistakes of others!

Furthermore, there is one more problem with an informal program done through the UCs that is too often overlooked: the need in the medical school application process for great recommendations from your professors.

If you take your courses through a UC, each of your science classes will have 300-400 students enrolled. Additionally, your laboratories will be run by (mostly disinterested) graduate students. The net effect of these facts is that it will be almost impossible for you to develop the sufficiently deep relationships with your professors that are necessary to receive stellar recommendations.

In a formal program, it is almost guaranteed that you will have fabulous access to your teachers, and hence terrific recommendations. Further, a formal program will construct a composite letter for you (this makes your life a lot easier in the application process), and you will have access to a premedical advisor.

For these reasons, I left UC Davis and chose to attend the postbac program at Scripps, and, needless to say, was very happy with the results.

In the light of this, I would highly recommend that you do a formal program (at the very least, I would recommend an independent, informal program that is not at one of the UCs). If relocation costs are an issue consider Scripps or Mills. Further, keep in mind that as a doctor, you will easily be able to recoup any loss you once incurred by relocating.

Thanks Fireboy. You really addressed many of the concerns I had with the UC System. When I called UCLA myself the premed people were like "yah, no problem, take your pre-reqs here." But it sounded a little too convenient to me. I also have noticed the issue with classes filling up. So, thanks for being "real" with me.

For the sake of time and convenience, looks like I'll be subleting my cool LA apt for a couple of years and moving to NYC. Yay! :D

Good luck Nalia! I think you are making a wise decision. I was amused to read what the representatives from UCLA told you, as I was told similar things by administrators from UC Davis. Obviously, their statements turned out to be slightly inaccurate!

All the best as you embark upon your journey!!

NY could be fun, you ever lived there?

Fireboy said:
Well, I’ve created an account specifically for the reason of replying to this thread and keeping you on the straight and narrow :) .

Once upon a time I was taking my premedical, postbac coursework through UC Davis Extension, having been erroneously led to believe that I would be able to adequately complete all the needed prerequisites via this avenue.

However, after much frustration and talking to many people within the UC system, I discovered the error of this approach. Put simply, all introductory Biology and Physics classes (and very often Chemistry) are severely impacted throughout the entire UC system. The impaction is continuing to get worse each year at EVERY campus.

The waitlists for such classes are enormous, and, as an Extension student, one CANNOT put one’s name down on them. Further, since these classes are limited by available laboratory size, professors simply cannot make exceptions and admit Extension students to their classes. What this means is that you will never be able to take Biology or Physics during the regular school year at UCLA. You would have to take these courses during the Summer. Hence an informal program would take you considerably longer than a formal program, as most of your coursework must be done during summers exclusively.

I have known many people who have tried to complete their requirements through the UC system, and all of them, without exception, have faced this problem. Learn from the mistakes of others!

Furthermore, there is one more problem with an informal program done through the UCs that is too often overlooked: the need in the medical school application process for great recommendations from your professors.

If you take your courses through a UC, each of your science classes will have 300-400 students enrolled. Additionally, your laboratories will be run by (mostly disinterested) graduate students. The net effect of these facts is that it will be almost impossible for you to develop the sufficiently deep relationships with your professors that are necessary to receive stellar recommendations.

In a formal program, it is almost guaranteed that you will have fabulous access to your teachers, and hence terrific recommendations. Further, a formal program will construct a composite letter for you (this makes your life a lot easier in the application process), and you will have access to a premedical advisor.

For these reasons, I left UC Davis and chose to attend the postbac program at Scripps, and, needless to say, was very happy with the results.

In the light of this, I would highly recommend that you do a formal program (at the very least, I would recommend an independent, informal program that is not at one of the UCs). If relocation costs are an issue consider Scripps or Mills. Further, keep in mind that as a doctor, you will easily be able to recoup any loss you once incurred by relocating.

You can take extension night classes....same curriculum...governed by the same dept.

I took a class at UCLA like this and it was very easy to get into the class.

Nalia B said:
Thanks Fireboy. You really addressed many of the concerns I had with the UC System. When I called UCLA myself the premed people were like "yah, no problem, take your pre-reqs here." But it sounded a little too convenient to me. I also have noticed the issue with classes filling up. So, thanks for being "real" with me.

For the sake of time and convenience, looks like I'll be subleting my cool LA apt for a couple of years and moving to NYC. Yay! :D

Nooooooo wait! You can easily enroll in the UCLA extension night courses. Everything covered is the same and is run by the same department as the day courses.

I am actually at UPenn right now in their formal postbacc program and it is hella expensive.

Well I'm going to Hunter which isn't as expensive as UPenn. I was also admitted to Columbia and really wanted to go, but after all of the mixed reviews compared to positive reviews with Hunter I decided to go the state school route (I'm originally from NYC and still a resident). I'll be stressed as it is, so I didn't want the added weight of thinking "wow, I might blow $30,000 and be debt after I just quit my highly paid job." :p

I could have gotten state tuition at UCLA too, but if I start at Hunter in Jan. I can complete the program in 1.5 years instead of waiting until summer at UCLA, as they are on the quarter system and do not offer the first sequence of the year long science programs in the winter or spring quarters. Plus, Hunter has linkage (only around 2 spots - but you never know) with Cornell that I'd be eligible for a year from now if all goes well (hopefully!!). Moving's a bitch and so is giving up a job that gave me an enormous amount of financial freedom - which has been great for a 23 year old in LA, BUT I can't seem to put to sleep this "calling." And in the end I prob could do it through UCLA but after further consideration it seems a "structured" (as structed as it can be at Hunter) program, will be the most efficient financially and scholastially... save the relocation costs
;)

[
If you are a good science student you can take your prereqs. anywhere, even a community college! But you should stay at one school. You would then have to coordinate getting at least 3 letters of recommendations from your science professors and have these letters sent to each school when you apply. In order for this to work your MCAT scores would have to be high also, above 30, especially if you do all the work at a community college. Its more affordable and medical schools don't like them but if your MCAT scores are high then they will know you have the information you need to succeed in medical school. You can take out loans to go but moving across the country is hard! My friend did it but paid out of state tuition and has about $20,000.in loans now. But he's applying and getting interviews. Did work at CUNY too and is from Cali.

QUOTE=Nalia B]Does anybody know anything about taking the pre-reqs on your own without a formal program? From lots of searching through the forums I have read glimpses of people going at it themseleves through UCLA Ext., but I'm wondering if anybody knows if it's possible to get into med school by completing the pre-reqs yourself. I am in LA now and am growing concerned about the relocation costs to NYC for Hunter, and I'm also a CA Resident so clearly the tuition would be much cheaper!

I'd REALLY appreciate some advice or guidance. THX![/QUOTE]

Thanks for your advice. I'm originally from NYC so I'm not too worried at going back - I can stay with my parents till I find a great apt. As for classes filling up I spoke with the people at Hunter and they said I should be okay to register and that if I show up early to sign up for waitlists I will be okay. Hope so! :p

Hi,

I'm starting a precalc class at UCLA this quarter and then will begin to take the science classes in the upcoming years. Anybody know if adcoms dislike a course taken over the summer such as chem, phyiscs, or bio? I'd like to take one of the classes over the summer, esp. chem or phyiscs.

Also, are there are UCLA post-baccs here? We should start a community of our own at school!

OlyUCLA said:
Hi,

I'm starting a precalc class at UCLA this quarter and then will begin to take the science classes in the upcoming years. Anybody know if adcoms dislike a course taken over the summer such as chem, phyiscs, or bio? I'd like to take one of the classes over the summer, esp. chem or phyiscs.

Also, are there are UCLA post-baccs here? We should start a community of our own at school!

Courses taken over the summer are looked upon in the same manner as any other courses. In fact, I think it is wise to take classes then, as they tend to be slightly easier and laboratories are condensed.

Good luck!

For the summer session the classes are "UCLA Undergraduate" classes, NOT associated with UCLA Extension - according to their website. I plan to take Chem and Bio this summer, and hopefully complete Organic Chem and Physics over the next yr. (Fall 2006-Spring 2007) through "Extension" as obviously I can't take regular undergrad classes during the year. My q's are these...

1) Will adcoms dislike "Undergrad courses / Extension courses" mixed up together?

2) On another note, is it realistic to complete, bio and chem over the upcoming summer, organic chem and physics over Fall 06'-Spring 07' and then attempt to take the MCAT in April (2007), and apply for med school for Fall 2007? Or should I just add on the other year and take the April (2008 - ugh, seems so far away!) MCAT and apply for admission for med school for Fall 2008 instead?

3) Just curious - has anybody ever heard of anybody being admitted to med school by taking their pre-reqs at a community college? I have read the pros and cons to this, but SMC in Santa Monica is pretty respected and even cheaper than UCLA for CA residents... Nothing I'm seriously considering, just curious...

Thanks ya'll! :)

OlyUCLA said:
1) Will adcoms dislike "Undergrad courses / Extension courses" mixed up together?

There is no real distinction between "Undergrad" and "Extension" courses taken through concurrent enrollment. Even though you enroll through the extension office you are still taking the same exact classes as any other undergrad. The enrollment procedure is different between the summer and the rest of the year but the classes are the same.