UCLA Extension

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Zohaib86

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Has anyone heard good things about the Introductory Science certificate offered by UCLA Extension? They offer financial aid as well. Seems like a good opportunity for someone working full-time because of the night and weekend classes.

Members don't see this ad.

Yeah, I'd love to get information on this as well. Anyone have any ideas?

Members don't see this ad :)
Has anyone heard good things about the Introductory Science certificate offered by UCLA Extension? They offer financial aid as well. Seems like a good opportunity for someone working full-time because of the night and weekend classes.

It's a program that allows you to take premed requirements and some upper division as well. You get fin aid in the form of loans only! It's $6000 for a whole year. You need to fill out the fafsa.

If you are interested in grants, it is offered through UCLA Extension per class. I think you have to apply through Extension. I think you get $400 a class, but I hear it is hard to get.

Thanks for the information!

Anyone planning to attend? I plan to start during this summer and try to finish my pre-reqs within a year (2 summers, fall, winter, spring).

Thanks for the information!

Anyone planning to attend? I plan to start during this summer and try to finish my pre-reqs within a year (2 summers, fall, winter, spring).
If you're planning on taking the General Chemistry, Organic Chemistry, Physics and Life Science series you're going to need more most likely 2 years to complete the course work which is how long it took my older cousin to finish the required classes. Extension doesn't offer labs for either Chemistry series and the only way to register for these is via concurrent enrollment i.e., taking labs offered by UCLA to its students which means you will be low man/woman on the totem pole with regards to enrollment priority.

Except for Life Sciences, Extension offers the other series sequentially therefore, if you miss one of the classes offered during a particular quarter in any series, you either have to wait another year or take the class via concurrent enrollment. The Physics is Calculus based and you most likely won't be allowed to enroll if you have not completed, up to and including, the equivalent of Math 3C. The prequisite for Math 3C is Math 3B which in turn requires satisfactory completion of Math 3A.

take the labs during the summer (through UCLA's regular summer school website). this allows you to not have to wait for everyone to get in, then hope and pray there is an opening. Also ,you can take one session A and one session c. I am pretty sure they still offer most of them over the summer. You enroll in feb/march/or april for summer school I think. http://www.summer.ucla.edu/

does anyone know if life sciences 1 is required for med school. I heard that we don't need life sciences 1 and that 2, 3, and 4 is fine for med school

Has anyone taken upper-level sciences there? I'm planning to finish my pre-reqs by graduation and want to find a school where I can take more science classes post-bacc. How are the classes? Grade deflation/inflation? Competitiveness? I'd imagine so...

hi everyone,

if I just want to take a couple of courses at UCLA ext. this summer to boost my gpa while i'm applying, would this be possible?? b/c i only see the certification program, but i already completed all my pre-reqs.

thanks!

I've heard that UCLA-extension is really disorganized.

Comments?

hear anything in particular? I am about to start taking my pre-med req's as soon as summer registration opens up. I'd like to know anything negative before I head into it.

I hear the classes are difficult. I have been accepted into the science certificate program and am looking to start this quarter. I don't know of any negatives surrounding the program and can only imagine that it has a positive reputation because of UCLA.

Please email me. I'd love to share stories and experiences.

does anyone know if UCLA extension's online courses count for med schools? i have already graduated with a degree in bio from a UC so i'm not talking about major pre-reqs...just a few classes to boost my gpa