UCLA Graduate program

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

someram3000

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys, I was hoping to learn a bit more about the graduate school at UCLA for a potential MSTP. the website is pretty hard to navigate. Anyone know any big names to look out for or any particularly strong biomedical research areas UCLA is known for?

Members don't see this ad.

PET! I think that's under pharmacology. the person who invented it is there.

neuroscience is good too.

okay i can tell by the facilities, website, research descriptions why it's so good. thanks so much for getting me started.

Members don't see this ad :)
owen witte, dennis slamon, louis ignarro (nobel laureate), david heber are some names that come to mind.

Check out Hong Wu, Michael Grunstein, David Eisenberg, Peter Tontonoz

okay i can tell by the facilities, website, research descriptions why it's so good. thanks so much for getting me started.

Don't forget Caltech. If UCLA doesn't have what you want, you can do your PhD at Caltech. You should have no problem finding prestigious PIs doing interesting work between these two schools.

Don't forget Caltech. If UCLA doesn't have what you want, you can do your PhD at Caltech. You should have no problem finding prestigious PIs doing interesting work between these two schools.

that's out of the question at this point, especially since they have two MD/PhD slots to give out. but i looked up the molecular and medical pharmacology program at UCLA and it's amazing the interdisciplinary work they do.

another good guy, for those looking, is Edward deRobertis. I've heard the dev bio program at UCLA is also excellent.