UCLA med school and Spanish courses?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

zbruinz

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Did all of you who got into UCLA med school take Spanish in college or pass out of Spanish through APs?

I kinda don't want to take Spanish but UCLA is my dream school and I'm somewhat worried about Spanish listed being highly recommended on their website.

Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

I'm on the waitlist and I minored in Spanish and studied abroad in Spain and Mexico.. I interviewed at only two 'top 10' schools (ucla being one of them) and I think speaking Spanish definitely helped my get an interview at UCLA, and I was also asked about my spanish minor/study abroad experiences in the interview. However, nobody else on my interview day spoke Spanish... So what I think is that if your borderline, then Spanish will put you over the edge, but if you have amazing stats otherwise then you don't need it.

I got into UCLA and Drew/UCLA as an out-of-state applicant and have never taken Spanish ever. In fact I took Italian in college. I also did not take the required statistics class (which they're cool about as long as you take it before you start). Don't worry about it. It's recommended. Its not a deal breaker if you haven't taken Spanish. I think they just believe that it will help you come 3rd year... since you ARE in LA after all.

Members don't see this ad :)
i got into ucla-drew, ucla, and ucla-prime (haha yes i went a little overboard on my ucla apps) and have decided to attend ucla-prime.

i didnt take spanish in college and though i did pass out of spanish AP i dont think it showed anywhere on my application...

i did mention a summer i spent in bolivia in my personal statement though..

hope that helps...i actually really wish i had continued with spanish in college

I got in. I took Spanish for three years in high school but none in college.

I wouldn't worry about it. Being able to speak spanish fluently would be a big plus at ANY school (espcially from Cali to Tejas and in between). However, it's not that big a deal whether or not you have a little Spanish competence.

Besides, if you get in you can always take intermediate medical Spanish as a selective as a medical student. I hear it's quite good.

i got into ucla and i didn't take any spanish classes at all. but it can only help your app and it is the most useful language a future doctor can learn. so your answer: it can only help, but its not 100% necessary.