UCLA "Most Scholarly Project" Secondary

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

A_Sentient_Ape

Full Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I have a good feeling I know what everyone will say for this, but here goes. So I have one peer-reviewed and fully published paper (3rd author), but I have another I will be submitting in August that is more impressive, I care more about it, did more for it, will go to higher impact journal, and I will be co-first author on it. Am I obligated to write about the one that is actually published instead? Will it hurt me if I write about the one on the way?
 
I have a good feeling I know what everyone will say for this, but here goes. So I have one peer-reviewed and fully published paper (3rd author), but I have another I will be submitting in August that is more impressive, I care more about it, did more for it, will go to higher impact journal, and I will be co-first author on it. Am I obligated to write about the one that is actually published instead? Will it hurt me if I write about the one on the way?
Which one is more scholarly? If published means it is more scholarly then go with that one. Probably post questions like these in the school specific threads though.
 
1. Whichever you can talk about better in interviews
2. I wouldnt choose one just based on pub, as school will see u have that pub.
3. for UCLA, you have <300 characters, so chillax.
4. post in school specific thread
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
UCLA "Most Scholarly Project" Secondary

I have one peer-reviewed and fully published paper (3rd author), but I have another I will be submitting in August that is more impressive, I care more about it, did more for it, will go to higher impact journal, and I will be co-first author on it. Am I obligated to write about the one that is actually published instead? Will it hurt me if I write about the one on the way?
If you choose to write about the project with the not-yet-submitted manuscript, I suggest you refrain from including your assumption that it will eventually become accepted at a specified journal. Be humble. Be aware that multiple submissions may be necessary.

That said, it seems to me the prompt is asking about a scholarly effort, which in your case would be the research project in which you had the most creative role and oversight.
 
3. for UCLA, you have <300 characters, so chillax.

This is so true. Barely fitting in the description of the project. Literally only have room to pose the research question and add the advisor/dates/hours.

Can I get a quick sanity check? Does ~320 hours sound realistic for a project I've been working on since September 2018, during my full-time research job (where I coordinate about 9 other projects)? 320 hours sounds like a lot but my math is 10 months x 4 weeks x 40 hours x 1/5th of my time on this project. I can't tell if my estimate sounds or feels realistic...it's also kind of scary to see that much time put into a project that hasn't been submitted yet....