UCLA or UCSF

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

girl8

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've been accepted to UCSF and am waitlisted at UCLA. In the case I get off the waitlist at UCLA, I think I will have a very difficult decision ahead of me.

Both schools seem very comparable to me in terms of education--both P/F, have awesome research, early clinical experience.

In terms of other factors that are important to me:

-Location: I think I am a Northern Cali girl at heart, since I grew up there but now my whole family has tranplanted to SoCal.

-MD/MPH program

-Diversity of students& patient population

Plus, is it a big disadvantage that UCSF is not on an undergrad campus?

If you guys have any opinions, please help!

Members don't see this ad.

For people who care about such things, UCSF enjoys a better reputation than UCLA but given the factors you've listed UCLA sounds like the right choice.

Both are excellent institutions and will provide you with a fine education and undergrad experience. However, in the grand scheme of things being happy is more important - you will be closer to your family at UCLA, and you will find a greater diversity of students and student life there IMHO.

Just my 2 cents...

I wish I was in a position to make such decisions... sigh oh well! Good luck in your decision, all I can say to help is that UCLA is my #1 choice by far. =)

Members don't see this ad :)
I think that there is really very little difference in these schools in terms of reputation and academics. Therefore, I would put a lot more emphasis on things like location and facilities. If your familiy and friends are in SoCal, then go to UCLA. If you prefer Northern California, then go to UCSF. It all depends on where you want to spend the next four years of your life.

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" size="2">Originally posted by mustang289:
I think that there is really very little difference in these schools in terms of reputation and academics. Therefore, I would put a lot more emphasis on things like location and facilities. If your familiy and friends are in SoCal, then go to UCLA. If you prefer Northern California, then go to UCSF. It all depends on where you want to spend the next four years of your life.

I would beg to differ. Among Californians, and especially the medical community, UCSF has a better reputation than UCLA. However, I definitely agree with the rest of your statement - the poster should be less concerned with this than where he/she would rather spend the next 4 years.